• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette (Out)

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
But if they’re definitely better than Lacazette surely they will guarantee more than his 10-15 goals?

Not sure I’m understanding this. If they’re already better, have higher potential, and are cheaper, why would anyone want to buy Lacazette? Experience isn’t worth anything by itself.

Being very open minded for getting someone like Eduard or the likes to replace Laca, I'd certainly be far from what you'd call a Laca fan boy with an agenda, but there are things that let me believe that keepint Laca isn't that bad actually.

Let's put sympathies for either side out of the picture and maybe highlight the excitement of stats and analytics for that moment.

If you consider Laca's output of this year - around 10 goals in the league and some assists, you could say he hasn't done tremendously well.

However, would it be fair so assume that if we were to have our chance creation tripled next season (something I'd consider fair to assume, if the transfers are spot on and having hit rock bottom in that regard with our imbalanced squad this season) that Laca would at least double his output ?

You even have to take into account that he's been used as a substitute a looot or didn't even play. There was also the Emery fiasco with some games being basically a black hole..

It's hard to imagine that, a Laca that is as motivated as he's been since Arteta joined, with VASTLY more creativity and positivity around him, would not easily make 20-25 goals and 10-15 assists.

blrgooner

Established Member
Being very open minded for getting someone like Eduard or the likes to replace Laca, I'd certainly be far from what you'd call a Laca fan boy with an agenda, but there are things that let me believe that keepint Laca isn't that bad actually.

Let's put sympathies for either side out of the picture and maybe highlight the excitement of stats and analytics for that moment.

If you consider Laca's output of this year - around 10 goals in the league and some assists, you could say he hasn't done tremendously well.

However, would it be fair so assume that if we were to have our chance creation tripled next season (something I'd consider fair to assume, if the transfers are spot on and having hit rock bottom in that regard with our imbalanced squad this season) that Laca would at least double his output ?

You even have to take into account that he's been used as a substitute a looot or didn't even play. There was also the Emery fiasco with some games being basically a black hole..

It's hard to imagine that, a Laca that is as motivated as he's been since Arteta joined, with VASTLY more creativity and positivity around him, would not easily make 20-25 goals and 10-15 assists.
Well I agree with most points there. The only issue is that its going to be almost impossible to have a team which creates double the amount of chances while playing with a flat two midfield and with pepe,Auba and Laca front 3. This formation needs him to play as a link player because there is no ball retention in the midfield. Laca hardly finds himself facing the goal near the opposition box.
Don`t think Laca is a bad player at all. In fact the only problem with Laca is that he is kind of Jack of all trades but master of none w.r.t Center Forward play. With respect to our forward line, if we have to lose one among Auba, Laca and Pepe, It would have to be Laca for me though.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
With respect to our forward line, if we have to lose one among Auba, Laca and Pepe, It would have to be Laca for me though.
It's funny to read that because Pepe doesn't put in nearly as much effort as Laca does, yet he gets a pass because we paid big money for him, but his performances haven't been better than his in any way, shape or form.

People will bring up the same crap about a higher ceiling and being younger, but if he's still playing like last season this year, then we have a big problem with him.

Personally, I'm not a fan, even with his flashes of brilliance every once in a while because he's of no use next to the sidelines and he's been overhyped about his dribbling skills.

He needs to be closer to the box somehow to get something out of that left peg of his, which is quite something when he hits the ball right.

D

Dial Square 1886

Auba is maintaining the production, not always the performances. There are plenty of games where he's invisible.
The reason he produces is because he barely does any defensive work and he remains in his position, whereas Laca drops deep a lot throughout a game.

I think it changed a lot when he moved out wide for Arteta.

Before that, I would have agreed, low defensive workrate.

However, really showed a different side to him when he shifted position and I was very surprised how willing he was to 'put a shift in' and help his fullback, as this was not something that he had previously displayed.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I think it changed a lot when he moved out wide for Arteta.

Before that, I would have agreed, low defensive workrate.

However, really showed a different side to him when he shifted position and I was very surprised how willing he was to 'put a shift in' and help his fullback, as this was not something that he had previously displayed.
He works when he's in the mood, but I've never seen him being battered the way Laca is whenever he has to collect balls in the middle of the park or turn around with it to progress the play.

It's nowhere near the same output of effort. Auba isn't one of those players that puts his foot in like Laca does. He's afraid of an injury.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

People who wants to sell laca and play aubameyang there shouldnt be allowed to watch football.

Auba can't do that job, he doesnt/ can't play with his back to goal, laca is the only option we have. Infact we need a younger version of laca to be his back and potential replacement. Keeping laca is vital
Fifa players exposing themselves.

Moving Auba central means making some wholesale changes. Not as simple as signing a LW.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Moving Auba central means making some wholesale changes. Not as simple as signing a LW.

I think a striker like Raul Jimenez would be perfect to balance our attack. He can do everything that Lacazette is supposed to be doing and more. We’d have a bigger threat when crossing balls into the box too.

The main issue with Raul Jimenez is the price that Wolves will want and all the top clubs seem to be interested in him.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I think a striker like Raul Jimenez would be perfect to balance our attack. He can do everything that Lacazette is supposed to be doing and more. We’d have a bigger threat when crossing balls into the box too.

The main issue with Raul Jimenez is the price that Wolves will want and all the top clubs seem to be interested in him.
Yeah Jiminez would be a great replacement, even a relatively tall A-M could work, Firmino style.

Either way they need to be able to make it stick when the ball comes up too. A lot easier said than done in the PL.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

So? That's what the preseason is for. Besides we have already successfully changed formation under Arteta, no reason why we couldn't do it again.

Additionally, if we improve around Auba, it could easily work. Willian/Coutinho/Pepe behind him could be great.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

So? That's what the preseason is for. Besides we have already successfully changed formation under Arteta, no reason why we couldn't do it again.

Additionally, if we improve around Auba, it could easily work. Willian/Coutinho/Pepe behind him could be great.
At least you understand that it would be a process and require new personnel. Not sure many do.

tcahill

People who wants to sell laca and play aubameyang there shouldnt be allowed to watch football.

Auba can't do that job, he doesnt/ can't play with his back to goal, laca is the only option we have. Infact we need a younger version of laca to be his back and potential replacement. Keeping laca is vital

I disagree with you, doesn't mean I "shouldn't be allowed to watch football" have some respect.

You're right that Aubameyang's hold up play is rubbish. He scores from the left and centrally. The issue with him being on the left is that it kills our creativity. Aubameyang always cutting in centrally means we're essentially playing a two striker formation without a left winger.

We were 17th in the league for created chances. Part of that comes from not having a proper winger on the left that takes on players and delivering crosses.

Laca's hold up play isn't even that good, it'd be easy to replace, and his scoring rate is very low for a big club starter. He's the best at hold up play in the squad true but that's like saying someone is the best keeper at Chelsea.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
At least you understand that it would be a process and require new personnel. Not sure many do.

Lol.

The guy has been here for 3 years, hardly rocket science that he'd be probably do better than a younger guy coming in, especially if we improve as a team.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Lol.

The guy has been here for 3 years, hardly rocket science that he'd be probably do better than a younger guy coming in, especially if we improve as a team.
Don’t get me wrong, Laca isn’t that good at his role. Firmino for example is levels above, so I wouldn’t mind replacing him with anyone who appears to have good hold up play and work rate.

I’ve seen more than a few suggest we replace him with players that just wouldn’t work tactically.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Don’t get me wrong, Laca isn’t that good at his role. Firmino for example is levels above, so I wouldn’t mind replacing him with anyone who appears to have good hold up play and work rate.

I’ve seen more than a few suggest we replace him with players that just wouldn’t work tactically.
But maybe what we have seen is because of the limitations of our squad? Maybe Arteta expects Lacazette to drop so deep to pick up the ball due to the fact we dont have any tech in midfield or even at LW.

I'm not saying its a certainty but if we were to buy a Partey and/or another creative mid on top of Willian then we will suddenly have a **** tonne more creativity and ball carrying ability in the squad. Maybe we'd actually be able to carry the ball up the pitch and supply our striker with the ball instead of relying on him to drop so deep to supplement a lopsided system.

By the same token Arteta could be going for the Liverpool style with a false 9. If thats the case I dont see us causing much damage with Laca there. I like him but he doesnt have the consistency in terms of his touch to do it for me. He showed much better signs last season so maybe he can recapture that but I dont know.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
But maybe what we have seen is because of the limitations of our squad? Maybe Arteta expects Lacazette to drop so deep to pick up the ball due to the fact we dont have any tech in midfield or even at LW.
This is what's been happening more or less since he arrived here and it's been the most evident last season, because we had no more Ramsey, Micki and Özil couldn't be bothered.

He's naturally hard working, so he'll help out whenever he feels the team is under pressure, but we need to actually play him right and get people behind him.

Emery managed to get the best out of Auba and Laca, while not scoring as much as his friend, managed to provide quite a lot of assists in 18-19.
Arteta seems to use him as the guy who soaks up pressure and makes space for Auba, but we've seen there's a better option for him, where he isn't as limited.

Top Bottom