• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian Joins Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Arteta has talked how youth cannot be given too much responsibility so their development doesn't stunt.

Willian gives us instant EPL top 4 quality with free transfer, and is not on the way for next years to give more & more time for the youth.

I'd honestly rather save the money and use those wages to get a player we desperately need (because I don't think Willian is a necessity) with the required quality and profile.

I'm not even really thinking about this transfer window I'm thinking a year down the line we might be kicking ourselves as we have yet another player over 30 on wages over 100k (I think the 220k is sensationalist as it factors in the signing on fee) that we might struggle to move on.

For example we remove Willian who isn't a necessity, Luiz that we spent around 16M on last season and Sok that cost 17.6M (not even counting wages) and that's around 30M with a decent wage offering.

Of course we needed defenders at the time so it's not as simply as saying we don't sign Sok and Luiz, but it's better to just deal with an area of the pitch properly in one go even if it means there's gaps we need to fill next time, rather than buying up junk or oldies that we're then struggling to move on later.

One of chelsea's best three players this season and up there in the league as one of top players for chances created. Coming off his highest goal scoring season for Chelsea.

Willian will shine for Arsenal, i was right about Ceballos being a success and Ramsey not be good enough for us or Juventus and I will be proven right again.
Such bragging and misinformation puts some of us in a ****ing dilemma in the sense that we want Arsenal to succeed but at the same time want you to be proven wrong as you are with your assessment of Rambo.

"Potential decline" he will probably start declining in his third year in which he'll be mostly used as a sub. He had his best season in a Chelsea shirt last year, he's a fine wine. No reason for him to not flourish here centrally.

If we are serious about rebuilding Willian is just one part of a 5 piece jigsaw this summer.
5 piece? The best we could do is four-piece I reckon.

MikeVinna

Established Member
I'd honestly rather save the money and use those wages to get a player we desperately need (because I don't think Willian is a necessity) with the required quality and profile.

I'm not even really thinking about this transfer window.

Well it could still hurt us this window as well. What if one of our big targets become available later in the window and we don’t have the funds. Signing Willian would look pretty dumb right about then. Would much rather have gotten a CM and a CB first since those should be our priorities. And then see what else we could do maybe.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
5 piece? The best we could do is four-piece I reckon.

I stress that's 5 if Laca is sold.

Willian
CB
Partey
Another CM
Laca replacement, either a LW or a striker.

Edu's words give me confidence. I don't think he'll let the fans down. Next stop is the Auba contract, will be interesting to see what is said on that.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Such bragging and misinformation puts some of us in a ****ing dilemma in the sense that we want Arsenal to succeed but at the same time want you to be proven wrong as you are with your assessment of Rambo.

Arsenal reject that we decided against offering a contract.

Flopped at Juventus and was 5th choice cm behind in the pecking order of a very past his prime Matuidi and even the rotting corps of Khedira. Now Juventus reportedly want rid. Our young academy player in Willock has more goals in all competitions this season than that poor mans Kevin Nolan.

Doesn't look like I've ben proven wrong.

Last edited:

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Happy with him tbf he is a quality player i always liked the looks of him.
Now Coutinho please.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I'm not even really thinking about this transfer window I'm thinking a year down the line we might be kicking ourselves as we have yet another player over 30 on wages over 100k (I think the 220k is sensationalist as it factors in the signing on fee) that we might struggle to move on.

For example we remove Willian who isn't a necessity, Luiz that we spent around 16M on last season and Sok that cost 17.6M (not even counting wages) and that's around 30M with a decent wage offering.

Of course we needed defenders at the time so it's not as simply as saying we don't sign Sok and Luiz, but it's better to just deal with an area of the pitch properly in one go even if it means there's gaps we need to fill next time, rather than buying up junk or oldies that we're then struggling to move on later.

Okay, well maybe Arteta can convince you that this was a good free transfer. He thinks Willian was Chelsea's best player this season.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-how-willian-can-make-big-difference

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Well it could still hurt us this window as well. What if one of our big targets become available later in the window and we don’t have the funds. Signing Willian would look pretty dumb right about then. Would much rather have gotten a CM and a CB first since those should be our priorities. And then see what else we could do maybe.

Willian is is going to cost us like £5M tops up front. If anything it will allow us to do bigger things later on in the window.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

So Arteta said Willian can play 3-4 positions. 3 are pretty certain: LW, RW & AMF.

What is the last one? SS (he doesn't have an SS)? CMF? RWB?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

After seeing how Gallas, Cech and Luiz turned out I can't imagine still getting excited over signing Chelsea cast offs.
You can either be optimistic and wait until he flops then be disappointed or you be disappointed wait till he flops then still be disapointed.

End result is that the optimists will have been happy for at least a little bit while you've just been miserable the whole time.:lol:

Willian isn't a cast-off tbh, they just didn't want to give him three years which is understandable, they're stronger on the wings than we are.

Plutarch

In the past couple of seasons Willian would clearly have improved Arsenal. He'd definitely have helped with our lack of creativity and chance creation. So the only question is about his age - 'Is he still athletic enough to improve us?' That's something we'll just have to trust Arteta's judgement on. So I'm happy about this transfer.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
In the past couple of seasons Willian would clearly have improved Arsenal. He'd definitely have helped with our lack of creativity and chance creation. So the only question is about his age - 'Is he still athletic enough to improve us?' That's something we'll just have to trust Arteta's judgement on. So I'm happy about this transfer.

In fairness the more attacking central roles require more brain than athleticism but even so he'll still run his socks off for us. Always has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom