• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,909

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
I think people just always want to go to extremes. Maybe there was a stereotype of a typical big lad that would get opportunities at youth level to shine over smaller, more technical players.

So there was this negative against bigger kids and it was always assumed they just relied on athleticism and size, even when most were still very crafty and technically sound.

At out peak most of our players here over 6ft and very technical, strong mentally and could get down and dirty lol.

Once Wenger started trying to copy the Barca model a bit and got so many smaller, technical players, dirty teams started trying to kick us off the pitch, so many injury prone players and many could just be bullied by more physical teams.

I think there just has to be a balance of physical and athletic players with some little technicians, that have some grit too.

Definitely agree with this. Right now it's painful watching Xhaka, Ceballos & Torreira hobble around our midfield. Xhaka in particular annoys me, I don't want to derail this thread, but I always feel he should be so much better than he is.

Really hope someone like AMN gets a run in midfield next season. @MutableEarth Is it to early for Azeez to start getting cameos for the first team? Fixture congestion is going to be insane especially if we progress in cups.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Definitely agree with this. Right now it's painful watching Xhaka, Ceballos & Torreira hobble around our midfield. Xhaka in particular annoys me, I don't want to derail this thread, but I always feel he should be so much better than he is.

Really hope someone like AMN gets a run in midfield next season. @MutableEarth Is it to early for Azeez to start getting cameos for the first team? Fixture congestion is going to be insane especially if we progress in cups.

None of those guys have really high ceilings. I always said that so long as Xhaka was a mainstay in our midfield, we won't be good enough to truly compete to win the league and get far in the champions league. Guys like Xhaka and even Ceballos have limits to their potential.

They are just so limited physically in many areas. Ceballos works hard for the team, but he is so slow and doesn't really contribute much when it comes to forward dribbling, defense splitting passing and goal-scoring.

He is good under pressure and was actually very active defensively, but still has a habit of holding onto the ball too long spinning in circles. I think Torreira is a decent player, but he is a system player. He needs perfect circumstances to thrive, kinda like Özil.

But the Torreira we saw in the first half of the season in 18/19, plus the world cup for Uruguay clearly showed a lot of ability. But his game is probably better suited for the Italian league than the EPL.

I don't think Azeez is ready for even Cameos in the league or Europa, but hope to see him with the team during pre-season.

Azeez hasn't even really established himself in U-23 level yet. Last year for the U-18 was pretty disappointing for all of them. A lot of injuries and poor form in the league, did decent in the FA youth cup.

Although Azeez may end up being one of those that looks better playing senior football than youth football cause things at that level might just be too easy for him.

Really looking forward to the development of Patino, Bandeira, Azeez as midfielders.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
I don't think Azeez is ready for even Cameos in the league or Europa, but hope to see him with the team during pre-season.

Azeez hasn't even really established himself in U-23 level yet. Last year for the U-18 was pretty disappointing for all of them. A lot of injuries and poor form in the league, did decent in the FA youth cup.

Although Azeez may end up being one of those that looks better playing senior football than youth football cause things at that level might just be too easy for him.

Really looking forward to the development of Patino, Bandeira, Azeez as midfielders.

Shame Azeez isn't ready yet, I hope AMN will take up space in our midfield next season.

Ceballos is a bit underrated to me, I think he's making it work in a position he's unfamiliar with. He's actually more of a 8/10 than the double pivot 6 we've been seeing in recent months. Idk if he stays next season but if we make 1/2 other midfield purchases we would see how brilliant he can be in his natural position.

https://fullmatchsports.co/spain-u21-vs-france-u21-highlights-full-match-u21-euro-2019/

He was incredible as the most advanced 8 in a midfield 3 for Spain during the U21's last year. I feel like he can only play as good as the midfielders around him; Torreria, Xhaka, Willock... none of these guys consistently exhibit a good understanding of how to manipulate space on the pitch.

Agree with you on Patino too, he looks ****ing sublime.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Wanted to talk about some of the articles Jeorge Bird posted in the last few days.
The 2nd years will be of huge interest because of how many of the U23s will potentially go on loan. It's possible that a good chunk of them will be handed deals just so they make up places in the U23 team. The 3 defenders (Oyegoke, Kirk, Ogungbo) will most certainly get deals, but I'm really intrigued to see what happens with Taylor-Hart. I'm a big fan of him, and because of his injury he's gone way under the radar. He's fairly unique in style so it will be interesting to see if he features for the U23s at all. I think he'd look good next to the likes of Cottrell and Greenwood.

It seems like Medley is the one that's ahead of the other 2, which is interesting. Maybe he's responding in training to Arteta's coaching, which would be good considering he has a good frame and is decent on the ball playing side of things. That said, I'm a big fan of Ballard and Clarke, and the latter especially impressed me in the U23s this season. I think he's another one who's going under the radar.

I can see Kieran Petrie being a name that gets talked about a lot a la Hutchinson because of the video on BBC's channel. But everything I've heard about him sounds very interesting, as with Peck. They've repurposed him into a #9, and he could yet join the long line of recent talented #9s we've been producing of late. That, I'm intrigued to see. Also interesting that Stephy Mavididi's brother is in this group, and I've heard quite a bit about Lene Burden although not seen anything of him.

Is Shaun Mavididi a striker too?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I was meant to reply to this but I was teaching at the time and forgot - but I agree with @Geofranco re Azeez. Physically and technically, he could step into the team right now and slot in quite well, but there are intangibles in his game that could potentially cost us in the short term. This was apparent in the game vs Blackburn in the Youth Cup this year. We had a midfield of Azeez-Bandeira that night and while they're an extremely promising pair, the slightly older Blackburn team were much more aggressive and clever, steamrolling the team in the process. Blackburn are always a tough game at that level.

For me, I wouldn't mind the odd cameo but objectively I think it should be a while before we see him turn out for us properly. I'd need to see an example of him taking a greater control of matches. A 6/8 with his broad technical quality should be dictating matches a lot more than he currently does.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
For me, I wouldn't mind the odd cameo but objectively I think it should be a while before we see him turn out for us properly. I'd need to see an example of him taking a greater control of matches. A 6/8 with his broad technical quality should be dictating matches a lot more than he currently does.

One for the future, hopefully he kicks on.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
I wonder what all the recent restructuring means for Marcel Lucassen. The interview he did a while back with Voetball suggested he was the real power behind our academy. He all but said Per is an emotional figurehead whilst he, (Lucassen) is the one responsible for instilling the coaching style in all academy groups.

It's been a little strange to me that all of the reporting of the restructuring of our academy set up has been conducted by "Edu & Per". I'm curious about Lucassen's role in our restructuring. The things I've read about him suggest a man who is knowledgeable about coaching structure, recruitment, player development... everything you'd need to implement widespread change in an academy set up.

Is he happy with the bit part role he's playing right now? Are we using his expertise enough?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I wonder what all the recent restructuring means for Marcel Lucassen. The interview he did a while back with Voetball suggested he was the real power behind our academy. He all but said Per is an emotional figurehead whilst he, (Lucassen) is the one responsible for instilling the coaching style in all academy groups.

It's been a little strange to me that all of the reporting of the restructuring of our academy set up has been conducted by "Edu & Per". I'm curious about Lucassen's role in our restructuring. The things I've read about him suggest a man who is knowledgeable about coaching structure, recruitment, player development... everything you'd need to implement widespread change in an academy set up.

Is he happy with the bit part role he's playing right now? Are we using his expertise enough?
I'd imagine that Lucassen still has a prominent role to play - given that Per's role is mainly administrative in nature a la Edu, Lucassen's coaching expertise and focus on building a philosophy both in a tangible and intangible sense will be crucial in not just the hands-on development of the players but also the development of the coaches too. Given the importance of that role, I doubt that any structural changes affects him as his role will still be a necessity and such is his reputation and resume, I have no doubt that his prominence will only get stronger.

The restructuring at youth level seems to be mostly to do with the recruitment side of things rather than the actual coaching set-up in and of itself, which is why Edu has been mostly involved in that area, given recruitment falls under his department also. My guess is that Lucassen's input will not have fallen on deaf ears either. He's one of the last people I'd worry about for now, both he and Lee Heron were headhunted specifically because of how good they are.

Interesting. Wonder what that means for likes of Butler-Oyedeji, Taylor-Hart and Sagoe jnr? Maybe one or two will join the u23 team and they bring in another winger. Suggests they will play Flores central as well as Hutchinson possibly.

Much intrigue!

3 wingers are not enough I think. It will be good to sign another winger. Hopefully, a real ambition signing this time!

teamsoutheast

With the acquisition of both George Lewis and Tim Akinola, it's good to see that we are managing the youth squads better and there seems to be alot more structure now. We have sent some players on loan and have replaced them with players on special development contracts so we can at least stay competitive in the PL2 along with promoting the cream of U18 talent to the U23's. Hopefully, we also do the same where we replace the U18's who have stepped up to the U23's with new signings who can compete at that level and with a bit of luck, win us the FA Youth cup!

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Another youngster recruited, this time much lower down the age groups:

Seems to have a decent rep. Plays mostly as a winger, seen a few clips on youtube.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Has this been posted before?

Salah-Eddine, joined us from Feyenoord. He's a CM, it says.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/salah-i-knew-was-right-club-me

Bit of a clickbait title. I was gazumped thinking that we had signed Salah!

ANOTHER CM :lol:. We're a bit overloaded in the midfield department now IMO. Think someone must be going on loan. I'd be surprised if it was Miguel Azeez because he's most likely the main man going into this season at U23 level but they might try to fast-track him.

The other option is sending Ben Cottrell because I think he's already very effective at U23 level and should get some first team experience. Cottrell is a very good young player who I think will have a difficult time trying to make it but he's always been a very good performer and I can see him being a darkhorse. Excellent technically, like Smith, but a bit more nimble, combative for his size and a goal threat aswell.

Anxious to see what loans await us.

Scored a hatrick in a tournament back in 2017 for Chelsea in this video.

Eye for goal - looks like another winger. Don't think he'll be in the U18s till next season.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

ANOTHER CM :lol:. We're a bit overloaded in the midfield department now IMO. Think someone must be going on loan. I'd be surprised if it was Miguel Azeez because he's most likely the main man going into this season at U23 level but they might try to fast-track him.
Nice insights in the video. It seems he and his brother are actually quite highly rated. A Wingback-CM? :lol:

He does get his head up and passes nicely. Nothing outrageous in him from the videos, but seems very very good technically.

I think we need him to flesh out our U-23s or lower. Or maybe Azeez needs some competition to push him on.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Nice insights in the video. It seems he and his brother are actually quite highly rated. A Wingback-CM? :lol:

He does get his head up and passes nicely. Nothing outrageous in him from the videos, but seems very very good technically.

I think we need him to flesh out our U-23s or lower. Or maybe Azeez needs some competition to push him on.
God knows how the U23s are gonna shape up, there's been big changes already and there are more coming. This guy is younger than Azeez too, by almost a year. There's a chance that they might play a 433 which would fit a lot of those players in and Cottrell out wide. It'll be intriguing for sure!

Top Bottom