• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thiago Alcântara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

This bloke is around the same age as Partey, maybe just a year older & pretty much in the same position as Partey so I'd say he's a Partey alternative that we are going for, will be either this guy or Partey. I'd prefer Partey if we had to pick one or another.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

This bloke is around the same age as Partey, maybe just a year older & pretty much in the same position as Partey so I'd say he's a Partey alternative that we are going for, will be either this guy or Partey. I'd prefer Partey if we had to pick one or another.
“Same age” Partey is 2 years 2 months and 2 days younger than Thiago which is basically half a lifetime in football years.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I actually believe that Arteta can give a pretty persuasive argument to Thiago. Obviously, our biggest negative is no Champions League next season, but Arteta and Edu seem pretty capable of convincing people of our long-term vision. If Arteta told Willian that he wants to win the Champions League in three years, I'm sure he said the same thing to Thiago.

If Thiago has to choose between Klopp and Arteta, I think Arteta has a good shot at convincing him that he's the right coach for him. Liverpool's creativity comes mostly from the flanks, so Thiago would need to adjust his style of play a little bit. He'd still be a success, but he might need some time to adapt. I don't think he'd have that issue with us.

Thiago's style of play is Barcelona to the core, and he was brought to Bayern by Pep. Arteta has the same footballing education and can get the most out of Thiago. Also, Arteta is cultivating a winning culture at Arsenal, so he wants to bring in winners. Thiago would become a legend here if he helped us win the league and/or Champions League. He'll just be another player at Liverpool.

Also, I think the prospect of forming a midfield partnership with Xhaka and Ceballos would be really appealing for Thiago. When Xabi Alonso was at Bayern, Thiago was able to play a slightly more advanced position in midfield and contributed a lot to Bayern's overall play. His mobility and ball retention helped free up space for Xabi to make crossfield passes. If we play 4-3-3 with Xhaka, Thiago, and Caballos, we can play tactics very similar to Pep's tactics at Bayern with Xabi Alonso and Thiago. Striking up a great partnership with Ceballos will also be great for him ahead of the Euros.

Lastly, the culture of the team, in addition to the new winning mentality, could suit Thiago. He is both Brazilian and Spanish, so he should easily fit in with David Luiz, Gabriel, Mari, Willian, Martinelli, Cedric, Bellerin, and Ceballos. Having that many people who can help him settle into the team and a new life in London can go a long way.

I'm not expecting Thiago to sign for us, but Arteta can make a good argument that we're the right team for him. Hopefully, Gnabry says some good things about us.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

“Same age” Partey is 2 years 2 months and 2 days younger than Thiago which is basically half a lifetime in football years.
Don't mind my mistake, looked at him on Sofifa but I didn't take notice of his personal details, just his FIFA stats haha.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Firstly, absolutely quality DLP. Would really help us short-term in going back to a more attractive playstyle. Could see in the CL final that he remains incredibly calm and is press resistant. That's a massive upgrade to our current DLP Xhaka.

I don't see him as an alternative to Partey, who I see as a more all-action midfielder who would progress the ball more through dribbling than Thiago, who's more of a passer with good one-touch ability.

Quite a lot of outlay for an old player, which does make me somewhat hesitant. I'd rather get more midfielders in the 24-27 range. At the same time, he's one of the best in the world in what he does.

If both him and Partey ask 200k+ wages, that would be difficult for us to pay I imagine.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
that's one way to play it. the other is Thiago comes in and helps them win titles which generates more money via prize pot and tv revenue which in turn leads to better sponsorship deals.

I absolutely get player sales is a key revenue stream but not every player should be bought solely for that. Otherwise who signs 29 year olds anymore? also the influence that player can have on others to improve their game cannot be quantified.

I agree with you. But this is their business model and that's how they got back to the top.
I'm not saying that they're right or wrong, I'm just trying to understand and explain their position.
According to rumours Thiago is looking for 250k/week which is approximately £12M/season. That's 36M over 3 years or almost 50M if they give him a 4 year contract. You add the 30M Bayern wants and suddenly this is a 60M/80M investment for an aging player who's been plagued by injuries.

And it's not like Thiago is an essential piece for them to step up a level. They're already good enough to compete for the league and CL.
So for Liverpool, it makes sense I guess.

Reactions: JCB

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I'm sure the link to us is just to get Pool to pull their finger out! We will get Partey!

Kingslayer

Forza Milan
Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has been speaking to the reporters today, and was asked about the frequent rumours linking Thiago to the English champions.

“We always read a lot about Liverpool, but they haven’t contacted us yet,” Rummenigge was quoted as saying by Bild.

“Yesterday we had the meeting with our employees and his whole family was there, and they wandered around the square in great nostalgia [in the Allianz Arena], I would say. It looked a lot like goodbye, as if he had made up his mind.”

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Interesting stuff. still think it's very difficult to buy him at the moment because of his high wages we won't have problem paying 30M euros.

Finesse

Interesting quotes from Rummenige ( wonderful player in his days / best ).
If Arteta has put in a word and Liverpool are yet to contact them , then it’s open for grabs. If this goes ahead , it will influence our decision on Ceballos loan move and Partey’s move. I would pay the asking price for Thiago irrespective of his age and years left of contract. Does is really matter if he has a year left. If he had 2-3 years left we would not be able to price him out either. Besides with 2-3 years left he is still same player. I would pay that price and bring him in pronto. He is the kind of player you build a midfield engine around. He always has space , time on the ball and from deep can pick any player and initiate a goal scoring opportunity.

Post Lockdown we never suffered from energy or combativeness in midfield. Xhaka , Dani and Niles did an excellent job putting in tackles and body when needed. We lack an incisive and creative spark from them. We lacked the control in tight spaces. We lacked someone who was always available to get passes from the defence and full backs and initiate play. That’s what Thiago brings. This looks interesting as it sounds.

Last edited:

Steps

In the medical treatment centre. He's injury-prone.
Untitled-design102.png

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
This is unrealistic. If we are going to push the boat out we should be going for Aouar. He will be double the transfer fee but less than half the wages. In the long term he is a massive asset while Thiago will wither away and leave on a bosman at the end of his deal.

Its a no brainer, we arent on the edge of anything right now so lets try to go for top4 but also build for the future. If we somehow managed to sign Aouar and Partey and we add that to Willian Ceballos Saka Auba and Pepe thats a bucketload of experience or ability.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
This forum is too down to earth at times.

I still have scouse fan friends believing Sanchez chose us solely because of London and not because they barely finished in EL spot while we finished 3rd and with FA cup.
Scouse fans are not a good source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom