• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
They're not going to go away. They're waiting in the shadows. They're waiting for the first slip from and him, then they'll pounce.
I've been lukewarm on Leno from the start but he has to do well because I want Arsenal to do well. I'll try to be as fair in my assessments as I can but theres a bit of pressure on him and we need a decent number two.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We rarely have ever had 2 good keepers at once, when we went Invincible our back up to Lehmann was Graham Stack ffs...you only really need one quality one who isn't injured too much.

Don't think Leno is injury prone, so I would be happy to give Macey a go and put everything towards Thomas the Tank Engine as a top midfielder would really take us up a level.

We rarely have ever had 2 good keepers at once, when we went Invincible our back up to Lehmann was Graham Stack ffs...you only really need one quality one who isn't injured too much.

Don't think Leno is injury prone, so I would be happy to give Macey a go and put everything towards Thomas the Tank Engine as a top midfielder would really take us up a level.

Leno was injury prone before joining us. He looks very much like he is sick all the time. Probably needs to eat more of fish and skyr.

He is coming off a major injury. We should have kept both him and Martinez and let them battle it out until next season.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Leno was injury prone before joining us. He looks very much like he is sick all the time. Probably needs to eat more of fish and skyr.

He is coming off a major injury. We should have kept both him and Martinez and let them battle it out until next season.

He's played at least 30 league games in every season of his career, hardly injury prone.

He may be a virgin, but's he's a sturdy one!

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Leno has proven his worth already. He’s been one of the consistent glimmers of hope through the worst era of Arsenal I’ve ever witnessed.

Martinez is fantastic, and his form post Leno injury was absolutely unbelievable. But he’s always had some terrible mistakes in the past (albeit few) chances he’s had. You don’t displace one of your consistent starters and sell him over someone who had 3 months of great form.

That form alone just bagged us £20m, absolutely fantastic business and I love Emi but would be ridiculous not to take that.

Wish him the best of luck and I’ll really miss him as I’m a huge fan but this is the best conclusion for everyone involved. Leno has proven to be worthy of being our GK for the long term and regardless of the sale I
think Leno would have come back in eventually anyway.

Nice breath of fresh air for AM, a fan of a player and can still see things clearly. I like Martinez a lot too, but you nailed it here.

They score there and it's likely the game changes, Gabriel loses all confidence and we struggle. Top save in fact but I'm used to seeing him makes those.

That was top class stuff and so important. Bad mistake from Gabriel, looked like he could take it with his left easily.

Leno was injury prone before joining us.

I know you're just trolling, but good chance to remind of facts, thanks.

He has missed 15 games in his whole career and played ~300 games at Bundesliga & EPL. 11 out of those 15 were for Arsenal last season.

Starting 9 seasons at top level while being 28,5 years now. It's really amazing accomplishment for a goalkeeper already.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Love how people forget Leno was one of the best keepers in the league before he went down. Emi took his chance & I wish him the best.
Imagine picking few months of great form over consistent top level credentials.
As for mistakes, yeah Leno made a few. But what keeper doesn't?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

lol Im just glad the club didn't get all sentimental for once and let Martinez eventually walk on a free like we usually do.

Almost 0 CL appearances (a handful at best)
Almost 0 Europa league appearances (probably a handful at best)
0 Senior international caps
15 Prem appearances
28 years old and been at the club 10 years

For a guy with a lot of zero's in his career, we got a lot of zeros for him. Great business by Arsenal, Aston Villa got juiced.

Prioritising a guy just cause he's taller and 3 months of form over the greatness that is Leno would be...well, stupid really.

Gegen Pressing

he missing those strong viking genetics from raw fresh Icelandic salmon . Not sure about the skyr , think he needs more serious Galdrabók;)

Pyres7

lol Im just glad the club didn't get all sentimental for once and let Martinez eventually walk on a free like we usually do.

Almost 0 CL appearances (a handful at best)
Almost 0 Europa league appearances (probably a handful at best)
0 Senior international caps
15 Prem appearances
28 years old and been at the club 10 years

For a guy with a lot of zero's in his career, we got a lot of zeros for him. Great business by Arsenal, Aston Villa got juiced.

Prioritising a guy just cause he's taller and 3 months of form over the greatness that is Leno would be...well, stupid really.
Not sure... Martinez was that good in those three months that it was worth giving him a real run to prove if he could do it consistently IMO. Even if it did turn out to be a purple patch, we still have a top keeper to fall back on.

As much as I rate Leno, he isn't the most reassuring presence for set pieces. Martinez looked like he had the whole package.

Can't complain if that £20m helps get us one of the midfielders we need though.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Not sure... Martinez was that good in those three months that it was worth giving him a real run to prove if he could do it consistently IMO. Even if it did turn out to be a purple patch, we still have a top keeper to fall back on.
We tried to, it was #1 or nothing.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
They're not going to go away. They're waiting in the shadows. They're waiting for the first slip from and him, then they'll pounce.

Well when after the season he had, not only coming 2nd behind Auba for our player of the year award but also generally performed as one of the best goalkeeper in the league. You still have people posting clips of his mistakes here. Who does that after a season like that? The equivalent would be if someone went into the Auba thread now and started posting clips of all the sitters he missed. Leave that sh!t for rival fans. Listening to these people you would think we had Kepa on our hands.

In a way Leno can't win whatever he does this season. He could be in contention for our player of the season again, only for him to make a couple of mistakes in matchday 12 or matchday 27 etc and he will get crucified in here. I can guarantee you that.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Well when after the season he had, not only coming 2nd behind Auba for our player of the year award but also generally performed as one of the best goalkeeper in the league. You still have people posting clips of his mistakes here. Who does that after a season like that? The equivalent would be if someone went into the Auba thread now and started posting clips of all the sitters he missed. Leave that sh!t for rival fans. Listening to these people you would think we had Kepa on our hands.

In a way Leno can't win whatever he does this season. He could be in contention for our player of the season again, only for him to make a couple of mistakes in matchday 12 or matchday 27 etc and he will get crucified in here. I can guarantee you that.

Well, Laca got a Player of the Year award and straight after that people called him ****. Just another day at the office.

Pyres7

That happens to every player on this forum :lol:

Auba's probably the only player that gets a free pass

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Wheres @Toby Andrl when you need him. Can't be the only one who wanted to shut down the forum when Martinez was apparently miles ahead of Leno.

Reminds me of when Ramseys purple patch made him the greatest B2B in the world (Im guilty of that camp, remember comparing him to ****ing Vidal).

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Wheres @Toby Andrl when you need him. Can't be the only one who wanted to shut down the forum when Martinez was apparently miles ahead of Leno.

Reminds me of when Ramseys purple patch made him the greatest B2B in the world (Im guilty of that camp, remember comparing him to ****ing Vidal).

Work, mate. Changed from freelancing into a steady job 4 weeks ago, shoots just keep on piling up and I haven't figured out a good balance yet. Been working about 100 hours last monday til today. Still reading on here, though. Just haven't found the time to post - and due to transfer time it's ****ing ****e on here anyway.

But I wrote this last week, I think, about the GK stuff in the trusted forums:

Guess it's Leno for me. He's been around for ages, used to be rated higher than Ter Stegen in youth teams, been a starter for top flight clubs since he's been 20 years old. He's entering his best GK years approaching 30, has massive experience and since his Arsenal transfer I think he's been on a rather positive trajectory.

Think Martinez is a good keeper, and I really liked his physical presence when he played and he seems pretty complete, but so is Leno. I think they're pretty similar in most aspects with Leno being a tad better in every aspect and with the still higher ceiling. Guess this Martinez is the best you can get, while the Leno who's now just slightly better than Emi still has room to grow. Also not sure about Martinez consistency for a big club - it's different playing for Arsenal or Reading week in week out and you need a bit of a different mental profile and I think Leno fits that better. Also think Martinez good performances during Leno's injury might be down to being hyper motivated to finally get a shot, but that might wean off once your No. 1.

Martinez might be compareable to Fabianski, who's a very decent keeper, too, but just not made for playing for a big club, controlling and organizing a progressive defense, etc etc, but rather someone who's main power comes from physical traits and being a good shotstopper and pushing yourself by being the "saviour" of a midtable/lower table leaky defense.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Work, mate. Changed from freelancing into a steady job 4 weeks ago, shoots just keep on piling up and I haven't figured out a good balance yet. Been working about 100 hours last monday til today. Still reading on here, though. Just haven't found the time to post - and due to transfer time it's ****ing ****e on here anyway.

But I wrote this last week, I think, about the GK stuff in the trusted forums:

Guess it's Leno for me. He's been around for ages, used to be rated higher than Ter Stegen in youth teams, been a starter for top flight clubs since he's been 20 years old. He's entering his best GK years approaching 30, has massive experience and since his Arsenal transfer I think he's been on a rather positive trajectory.

Think Martinez is a good keeper, and I really liked his physical presence when he played and he seems pretty complete, but so is Leno. I think they're pretty similar in most aspects with Leno being a tad better in every aspect and with the still higher ceiling. Guess this Martinez is the best you can get, while the Leno who's now just slightly better than Emi still has room to grow. Also not sure about Martinez consistency for a big club - it's different playing for Arsenal or Reading week in week out and you need a bit of a different mental profile and I think Leno fits that better. Also think Martinez good performances during Leno's injury might be down to being hyper motivated to finally get a shot, but that might wean off once your No. 1.

Martinez might be compareable to Fabianski, who's a very decent keeper, too, but just not made for playing for a big club, controlling and organizing a progressive defense, etc etc, but rather someone who's main power comes from physical traits and being a good shotstopper and pushing yourself by being the "saviour" of a midtable/lower table leaky defense.

My favourite poster proving OnlyOne right again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom