• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 941,509
Status
Not open for further replies.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
What big clubs?
There is nothing bar early weak Juve links.
No Barca, Real, Man City, Bayern, PSG links at all.

Makes you think.

Why does there have to be links in the press?

From the clubs you mentioned -

Barca have Frenkie, Puig and a lot of other talent in that position.
Real are the same and Florentino already said months ago they will not be spending big on anyone this summer.
City aren't going to pass up on using a homegrown player in Foden ahead of Aouar.
Bayern could actually be pretty viable but they probably can't afford the fee right now like most clubs.
PSG can't even afford Bellerin until they sell players...

There's no links because of the market, in any other market he would be at one of the mentioned clubs by now. (PSG, Juve or Bayern)

Anders Harbo

Angry Scandinavian #6
Who would have thought, that Leno’s injury would help us secure the signing of Auoar or Partey. What once seemed to be all gloom and doom, now appears to be a stroke of fortune.
Luck certainly has many faces.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Why does there have to be links in the press?

From the clubs you mentioned -

Barca have Frenkie, Puig and a lot of other talent in that position.
Real are the same and Florentino already said months ago they will not be spending big on anyone this summer.
City aren't going to pass up on using a homegrown player in Foden ahead of Aouar.
Bayern could actually be pretty viable but they probably can't afford the fee right now like most clubs.
PSG can't even afford Bellerin until they sell players...

There's no links because of the market, in any other market he would be at one of the mentioned clubs by now. (PSG, Juve or Bayern)
Top clubs who play in semifinals of the CL don't have money, but Arsenal can afford him?
It seems they just don't think he's worth the quoted price, same as Pepe.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Top clubs who play in semifinals of the CL don't have money, but Arsenal can afford him?

Its a pandemic mate. Madrid spent £317M last summer, PSG's chief exec has already said they need to sell 60m's worth of players to buy. Don't think you realise how much its affected clubs.

blrgooner

Established Member
What big clubs?
There is nothing bar early weak Juve links.
No Barca, Real, Man City, Bayern, PSG links at all.

Makes you think.

Of Course it does.But if big clubs do really want a player X, they have money to buy the player and thus, we have no chance. So the whole big club argument is irrelevent. Maybe he is not good enough to start for Barca/Real. That is not relevent when we are discussing about his impact in our squad.
This 'big clubs not interested' argument can be made about any of our signings or potential signings. No big clubs were interested in Gabriel, No big clubs are interested in Partey also.

daron christie

Why, because AMN is better than Partey & Aouar? Personally I'd rather sell Bellerin and keep AMN but I would happily sell AMN if it meant getting Partey & Aouar.

no one said ANM is better than those two ...I was saying why would you get rid of quality when bringing in quality..it’s called squad depth in a long season and ANM can cover many positions in the squad...to even dream about selling him is * new signings or no new signings

Gunner D

Coronavirus Truther; ex. Gunner boy dd
Hope we get Partey, who is cheaper & a more versatile player.
Aouar is a passenger without the ball and can't play in 3-4-3 which would be our main formation this season.
I want both tbh. Would much rather Partey though if I was to pick. We’re missing athleticism in the midfield. If we go for 343 then it has to be Partey.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

No big club want him.

Worrying, the shades of Pepe.
We have to sign guys a couple years earlier than the big clubs and take on a bit more risk. We're not really a big club atm. All the big clubs were monitoring Pepe they just didn't want to take the risk after one breakout season.

Bayern wanted someone who couple play in tight spaces as well as in transition which is basically a WC winger so they cooled their interest in him, we signed him gambling that he would improve in that regard.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No big clubs were interested in Salah, mane, Auba, Fabinho and a lot of other top players prior to their move.

If we only go after players other top teams want, we'll never be able to sign them.

ash_rasul

I have a few burning reservations on this potential signing.

I can't say I've seen a whole lot of Aouar in the flesh, but what I have seen has been somewhat uninspiring.

Stylistically, he seems similar to Ceballos. Maybe slightly more suited to a more advanced role, but the essential ingredients are very similar. In terms of ability, I get the feeling that Ceballos is currently a level or two ahead of him (and pretty much PL adapted by now). I get the feeling that Aouar will need a season or two to get acquainted.

I am also unsure if he will be ready to slot into one of the two midfield slots in our current formation. And I honestly believe Willian would be better suited to the AM position if we were to move to a back four. Aouar could possibly have more of a role to play in this formation, but seems more of a 'nice to have' rather than an essential at this point.

Based on the above, I would probably prioritise Partey as a signing for this window (if of course we can only afford one of the two), as he would really add an additional dimension to our play and give Arteta a very different option in midfield. I cannot say the same for Aouar at this point. He may well blossom into a world class midfielder, but EUR 60m is a lot of money, especially in the current market, for someone who may not be able to come in a make a real difference for another year or so. That is what I believe we need to invest in right now, as I think we would find it difficult to deal with another year without CL.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I have a few burning reservations on this potential signing.

I can't say I've seen a whole lot of Aouar in the flesh, but what I have seen has been somewhat uninspiring.

Stylistically, he seems similar to Ceballos. Maybe slightly more suited to a more advanced role, but the essential ingredients are very similar. In terms of ability, I get the feeling that Ceballos is currently a level or two ahead of him (and pretty much PL adapted by now). I get the feeling that Aouar will need a season or two to get acquainted.

I am also unsure if he will be ready to slot into one of the two midfield slots in our current formation. And I honestly believe Willian would be better suited to the AM position if we were to move to a back four. Aouar could possibly have more of a role to play in this formation, but seems more of a 'nice to have' rather than an essential at this point.

Based on the above, I would probably prioritise Partey as a signing for this window (if of course we can only afford one of the two), as he would really add an additional dimension to our play and give Arteta a very different option in midfield. I cannot say the same for Aouar at this point. He may well blossom into a world class midfielder, but EUR 60m is a lot of money, especially in the current market, for someone who may not be able to come in a make a real difference for another year or so. That is what I believe we need to invest in right now, as I think we would find it difficult to deal with another year without CL.

I think most agree that Partey should be the priority, and as you say Ceballos and Aouar similar, however Aouar has shown levels way above Ceballos and imo has much more potential.

Also I think Aouar is an opportunity signing given the lack of interest in his signature so maybe it’s something we’re trying now for the future as Ceballos is only a loan.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Ceballos is better deeper, Aouar is better further forward. Ceballos doesn't really score goals or assist, Aouar gets you 10-15 in both a season from midfield.

Huge difference between the pair.

ash_rasul

Ceballos is better deeper, Aouar is better further forward. Ceballos doesn't really score goals or assist, Aouar gets you 10-15 in both a season from midfield.

Huge difference between the pair.
I recognise the difference in their numbers, but I would take Aouar's numbers with a pinch of salt. Especially considering the league Aouar is coming from, we have seen previously that doesn't necessarily translate well to the PL.

Although on paper Aouar seems generally more attacking than Ceballos, I do think in our system we could really do with a deeper lying playmaker in this mould. I would personally look to spend this money on trying to sign Ceballos on a perm as I really believe he will soon turn into a special player.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I recognise the difference in their numbers, but I would take Aouar's numbers with a pinch of salt. Especially considering the league Aouar is coming from, we have seen previously that doesn't necessarily translate well to the PL.

Although on paper Aouar seems generally more attacking than Ceballos, I do think in our system we could really do with a deeper lying playmaker in this mould. I would personally look to spend this money on trying to sign Ceballos on a perm as I really believe he will soon turn into a special player.

What gives me reassurances about Aouar is that he has performed to a world class level in the Champions league knockout stages, the highest level of football. That's a lot more than Ceballos has ever done.

Of Course it does.But if big clubs do really want a player X, they have money to buy the player and thus, we have no chance. So the whole big club argument is irrelevent. Maybe he is not good enough to start for Barca/Real. That is not relevent when we are discussing about his impact in our squad.
This 'big clubs not interested' argument can be made about any of our signings or potential signings. No big clubs were interested in Gabriel, No big clubs are interested in Partey also.
Exactly. How many of Liverpool's CMs can make City's midfield yet they are the Champions. Lazy argument from @reed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom