• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 943,478
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He scored more than 30 league goals in the league in the BL before that on Germany.

Again, just because he does score goals as LW does not mean he isn't better as CF.

Arteta clearly thinks there isn't any player that isn't good enough for that LW spot though.
He never played Saka as a LW.

I can’t get my head around the fact he doesn’t even dabble with it when subbing off Laca.

Auba also didn’t get the golden boot from out wide. What’s going on with people’s memories.

Iwobi played on the left in 2018/19, and Mkhitaryan on the right. Emery rotated Auba and Laca in the central striking role and when they did play together, such as Valencia away we played 4-4-2.

The underlying point is he played through the middle. Can he score goals from wide? Ofcourse. But he’d score goals from right back too. Just not as many.

Because, yep you guessed it, he wouldn’t be able to get in goalscoring positions as often. The vast majority of Auba’s career goals have been scored from within the width of the 6 yard box. He’s now providing less accurate crosses to less accurate finishers. And yes, they’d still score sometimes too. Just, fewer goals and yes he bends it into the far corner sometimes, but his overall shots per game has declined massively.

I mean none of this is rocket science. Our attacking threat as a whole has declined massively since we moved him further away from goal.

TinFish

What is it about Aouar that makes him so effective?

I've seen him breifly in the CL and just looking at his stats the numbers don't suggest he is overly creative. I know he wins lots of fouls. I just don't see that he is on his way to be a world class player based on his stats. 3 goals and 4 assists in ligue 1 isn't impressive. It concerns me that he isn't producing in that league.

Am I missing something? Everyone seems to love him.

If he came in what effect do we think he'd have on the team in the first season?

Aouar was described as the next big talent to come out of Lyon over the past few years. Tipped for greatness. He is a good player but inconsistent. - this is the main concern I have about this potential signing.

He played better when he was younger, over the years he's stagnated somewhat. At the moment he's only really turned up for few league games and the eye catching performances in last seasons Champions League. His stats are not that impressive ..compared to someone like Havertz but the hope is that we are able to mould him into the beast that is contained inside of him and unleash him effectively.

Makavelii

I can’t get my head around the fact he doesn’t even dabble with it when subbing off Laca.

Auba also didn’t get the golden boot from out wide. What’s going on with people’s memories.

Iwobi played on the left in 2018/19, and Mkhitaryan on the right. Emery rotated Auba and Laca in the central striking role and when they did play together, such as Valencia away we played 4-4-2.

The underlying point is he played through the middle. Can he score goals from wide? Ofcourse. But he’d score goals from right back too. Just not as many.

Because, yep you guessed it, he wouldn’t be able to get in goalscoring positions as often. The vast majority of Auba’s career goals have been scored from within the width of the 6 yard box. He’s now providing less accurate crosses to less accurate finishers. And yes, they’d still score sometimes too. Just, fewer goals and yes he bends it into the far corner sometimes, but his overall shots per game has declined massively.

I mean none of this is rocket science. Our attacking threat as a whole has declined massively since we moved him further away from goal.

All of this is very logical and makes sense.

The only thing I’d say is, I suspect Arteta hesitates to play Auba up top because his hold up play and ability to play with back to goal is not as good as say Lacazette. So other players around him may score less.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Dont reckon a serious journo would have his twitter name be Armziiiiinho

Or come across racist (to both black and white people), tweet homophobic content, have spiderman as background pic, likes kanye west, tweets ""LOL" and "Shiuu" (Whatever the **** that means).

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
All of this is very logical and makes sense.

The only thing I’d say is, I suspect Arteta hesitates to play Auba up top because his hold up play and ability to play with back to goal is not as good as say Lacazette. So other players around him may score less.

I like you but I’m exhausted with the misconception of Lacazette and his hold up play so please excuse the verbose post.

One would assume a fair indication of effective team play as a striker would be passes per match and big chances created, right?

Lacazette 2019/20
  • 30 appearances
  • 10 goals
  • 4 big chances created
  • 4 assists
  • 16 passes per match
Aubameyang 2019/20
  • 36 appearances
  • 22 goals
  • 7 big chances created
  • 3 assists
  • 23 passes per match
Only 3 of Auba’s 22 goals came from Laca’s assists. Nelson’s goal v Liverpool was his other assist.

You might argue that it’s apples v oranges as Auba played a large number of games from the left after arteta came in. Yet this is from 2018/19 when Auba played through the middle in the vast majority of games under Emery

Aubameyang 2018/19 (majority as a ST)
  • 36 appearances
  • 22 goals
  • 7 big chances created
  • 5 assists
  • 19 passes per match
Not outstanding hold up play but certainly no worse than Lacazette in 2019/20.

And lastly by contrast here’s someone who I think fairly unanimously actually excels at hold up play:

Firmino 2019/20
  • 38 appearances
  • 9 goals
  • 10 big chances created
  • 8 assists
  • 31 passes per match

Just feel like it’s the default assumption that Auba plays wide due to inferior hold up play when most likely Laca central so that he can press the first receiver (number 6) and block the opposition from getting out. Basically an overcompensation for having midfielders too slow to play high press, and Özil too lazy to do it.

We could solve that by adding a 3rd midfielder like Aouar instead of playing with 3 centre backs and moving 10 yards further up the pitch

Last edited:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I like you but I’m exhausted with the misconception of Lacazette and his hold up play so please excuse the verbose post.

One would assume a fair indication of effective team play as a striker would be passes per match and big chances created, right?

Lacazette 2019/20
  • 30 appearances
  • 10 goals
  • 4 big chances created
  • 4 assists
  • 16 passes per match
Aubameyang 2019/20
  • 36 appearances
  • 22 goals
  • 7 big chances created
  • 3 assists
  • 23 passes per match
Only 3 of Auba’s 22 goals came from Laca’s assists. Nelson’s goal v Liverpool was his other assist.

You might argue that it’s apples v oranges as Auba played a large number of games from the left after arteta came in. Yet this is from 2018/19 when Auba played through the middle in the vast majority of games under Emery

Aubameyang 2018/19 (majority as a ST)
  • 36 appearances
  • 22 goals
  • 7 big chances created
  • 5 assists
  • 19 passes per match
Not outstanding hold up play but certainly no worse than Lacazette in 2019/20.

And lastly by contrast here’s someone who I think fairly unanimously actually excels at hold up play:

Firmino 2019/20
  • 38 appearances
  • 9 goals
  • 10 big chances created
  • 8 assists
  • 31 passes per match

Just feel like it’s the default assumption that Auba plays wide due to inferior hold up play when most likely Laca central so that he can press the first receiver (number 6) and block the opposition from getting out. Basically an overcompensation for having midfielders too slow to play high press, and Özil too lazy to do it.

We could solve that by adding a 3rd midfielder like Aouar instead of playing with 3 centre backs and moving 10 yards further up the pitch

I'll just note for clarity that Firmino played ~3000 min in EPL last season, Auba ~3100 min and Laca ~1900 min. If I count it right, Laca played ~37 % less than Firmino.

Another thing to note is that other plays for a team that dominated the league with 99 points, while the other team finished 8th with 56 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom