• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 943,422
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makavelii

I like you but I’m exhausted with the misconception of Lacazette and his hold up play so please excuse the verbose post.

One would assume a fair indication of effective team play as a striker would be passes per match and big chances created, right?

Lacazette 2019/20
  • 30 appearances
  • 10 goals
  • 4 big chances created
  • 4 assists
  • 16 passes per match
Aubameyang 2019/20
  • 36 appearances
  • 22 goals
  • 7 big chances created
  • 3 assists
  • 23 passes per match
Only 3 of Auba’s 22 goals came from Laca’s assists. Nelson’s goal v Liverpool was his other assist.

You might argue that it’s apples v oranges as Auba played a large number of games from the left after arteta came in. Yet this is from 2018/19 when Auba played through the middle in the vast majority of games under Emery

Aubameyang 2018/19 (majority as a ST)
  • 36 appearances
  • 22 goals
  • 7 big chances created
  • 5 assists
  • 19 passes per match
Not outstanding hold up play but certainly no worse than Lacazette in 2019/20.

And lastly by contrast here’s someone who I think fairly unanimously actually excels at hold up play:

Firmino 2019/20
  • 38 appearances
  • 9 goals
  • 10 big chances created
  • 8 assists
  • 31 passes per match

Just feel like it’s the default assumption that Auba plays wide due to inferior hold up play when most likely Laca central so that he can press the first receiver (number 6) and block the opposition from getting out. Basically an overcompensation for having midfielders too slow to play high press, and Özil too lazy to do it.

We could solve that by adding a 3rd midfielder like Aouar instead of playing with 3 centre backs and moving 10 yards further up the pitch

I’m always thrilled to have my opinions challenged when backed by the stats.
You’re right, I just made the assumption that Auba plays wide due to inferior hold up play.

I’ll reconsider my view. Great post.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

You’re right, I just made the assumption that Auba plays wide due to inferior hold up play.

I'm not sure how passes per match or even big chances created are related to hold-up play? Big chances created surely not much at all, can someone explain passes per match? If you pass much, you can hold up the ball?

Arteta relies heavily on the left side in attacking which gives the ball to Auba the most of the attacking players.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I like you but I’m exhausted with the misconception of Lacazette and his hold up play so please excuse the verbose post.

One would assume a fair indication of effective team play as a striker would be passes per match and big chances created, right?

Lacazette 2019/20
  • 30 appearances
  • 10 goals
  • 4 big chances created
  • 4 assists
  • 16 passes per match
Aubameyang 2019/20
  • 36 appearances
  • 22 goals
  • 7 big chances created
  • 3 assists
  • 23 passes per match
Only 3 of Auba’s 22 goals came from Laca’s assists. Nelson’s goal v Liverpool was his other assist.

You might argue that it’s apples v oranges as Auba played a large number of games from the left after arteta came in. Yet this is from 2018/19 when Auba played through the middle in the vast majority of games under Emery

Aubameyang 2018/19 (majority as a ST)
  • 36 appearances
  • 22 goals
  • 7 big chances created
  • 5 assists
  • 19 passes per match
Not outstanding hold up play but certainly no worse than Lacazette in 2019/20.

And lastly by contrast here’s someone who I think fairly unanimously actually excels at hold up play:

Firmino 2019/20
  • 38 appearances
  • 9 goals
  • 10 big chances created
  • 8 assists
  • 31 passes per match

Just feel like it’s the default assumption that Auba plays wide due to inferior hold up play when most likely Laca central so that he can press the first receiver (number 6) and block the opposition from getting out. Basically an overcompensation for having midfielders too slow to play high press, and Özil too lazy to do it.

We could solve that by adding a 3rd midfielder like Aouar instead of playing with 3 centre backs and moving 10 yards further up the pitch

Thinking about this, people who have seen Aouar say he is best in that LCM Iniesta role in a 433, Auba basically plays like a Guardiola Barcelona winger (Henry. Villa , Pedro) wide in build up but ending up as a striker and Lacazette as a false nine linking up play.
You could maybe foresee us moving to a Pep Barcelona 433 with the wide players making those late pincer movements inside, it isn't that far removed from where we are now, shape wise.
I actually think that the false nine pressing (Firmino/Messi) role could suit Willian quite well, not sure he has the pace for the outside roles.

Something like this:

2ne15Z8.png

roz

Fake News Merchant
1/20 on Sky bet to join us now :lol:

Juventus 13/2.
Had a really close friend who used to work in the Arsenal corporate box. Overheard a couple of bigshots talking about Schneiderlin when he was at Everton and how he would fit into our team, they were apparently talking about it like it was a done deal. My pal stuck a ton on him to join us, got something like 8/11. By the end of the day the odds were something like 3/10.

true story, hilarious but not for my friend :lol:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Had a really close friend who used to work in the Arsenal corporate box. Overheard a couple of bigshots talking about Schneiderlin when he was at Everton and how he would fit into our team, they were apparently talking about it like it was a done deal. My pal stuck a ton on him to join us, got something like 8/11. By the end of the day the odds were something like 3/10.

true story, hilarious but not for my friend :lol:

Mental how one big bet can do that. Sky Sports are the kings of getting their betting odds up these days. Funny how Sky Sports are probably one of the least reliable sources for info now :lol:

roz

Fake News Merchant
Mental how one big bet can do that. Sky Sports are the kings of getting their betting odds up these days. Funny how Sky Sports are probably one of the least reliable sources for info now :lol:
Problem wasn’t just my mates bet, it was all the other people he told to do it :lol:
SkyBet are infamous for manipulating their odds on transfers

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'll just note for clarity that Firmino played ~3000 min in EPL last season, Auba ~3100 min and Laca ~1900 min. If I count it right, Laca played ~37 % less than Firmino.

Another thing to note is that other plays for a team that dominated the league with 99 points, while the other team finished 8th with 56 points.

Hence passes “per match”

Makavelii

I'm not sure how passes per match or even big chances created are related to hold-up play? Big chances created surely not much at all, can someone explain passes per match? If you pass much, you can hold up the ball?

Arteta relies heavily on the left side in attacking which gives the ball to Auba the most of the attacking players.
Holding up the ball well will almost always end up as a pass when the striker lays it off.
If a striker has very few passes, you would assume they’re not doing a lot of that.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I mean it informs how well and often you link up with others in attack. That’s the goal of hold up play no? Whether you receive it into your chest with your back to goal and lay it off or flick on a header for another runner, they all count as types of passes.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

And as mentioned you’re a top poster. I’m always thrilled to have mine constructively challenged too. Whether you change your view or otherwise.

lvgh98

Thinking about this, people who have seen Aouar say he is best in that LCM Iniesta role in a 433, Auba basically plays like a Guardiola Barcelona winger (Henry. Villa , Pedro) wide in build up but ending up as a striker and Lacazette as a false nine linking up play.
You could maybe foresee us moving to a Pep Barcelona 433 with the wide players making those late pincer movements inside, it isn't that far removed from where we are now, shape wise.
I actually think that the false nine pressing (Firmino/Messi) role could suit Willian quite well, not sure he has the pace for the outside roles.

Something like this:

2ne15Z8.png

Hadn’t considered this but it looks fantastic. Think Willian would be excellent in that role with his skill set and wouldn’t be too hindered by losing a yard of pace.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Hence passes “per match”

Yeah, just clarifying that comparison with Firmino has many things affecting those stats. Like the team in which the player plays, affects how much he gets the ball in a game and passes it to others.

The team behind Firmino last season was from a different planet compared to Laca & Auba. The total minutes played affect those other stats.

Anyway, like I said we rely heavily on the left side so Auba gets the ball most of the attackers.

Passes per game don't automatically mean good hold-up play. Alibi passes go to that stat, and a player can release the ball fast and not be able to protect it in tough situation.

What do you think is the reason Auba plays on the left for most managers in EPL? Especially why hasn't Arteta played him in the center even in counter-attacking games like against Pool? This is something I wonder.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, just clarifying that comparison with Firmino has many things affecting those stats. Like the team in which the player plays, affects how much he gets the ball in a game and passes it to others.

The team behind Firmino last season was from a different planet compared to Laca & Auba. The total minutes played affect those other stats.

Anyway, like I said we rely heavily on the left side so Auba gets the ball most of the attackers.

Passes per game don't automatically mean good hold-up play. Alibi passes go to that stat, and a player can release the ball fast and not be able to protect it in tough situation.

What do you think is the reason Auba plays on the left for most managers in EPL? Especially why hasn't Arteta played him in the center even in counter-attacking games like against Pool? This is something I wonder.

Me too.

WhatAFC

It wasn’t a great post. It’s a terrible post with loaded stats to push his point.

lacazette played 1878 minutes in his 30 apps.
Auba played 3139 minutes in his.
Firmino played 3003 minutes in his.

Auba had played 14 games worth of extra minutes

Firmino has played 12.5 games worth of extra minutes

D

Dial Square 1886

Hadn’t considered this but it looks fantastic. Think Willian would be excellent in that role with his skill set and wouldn’t be too hindered by losing a yard of pace.

Don't know about Willian as a false 9.

That position is probably the hardest to play in the whole game, it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom