• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 941,643
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I'm not sure where this idea that you can't play the formation without Messi and Xavi/Iniesta comes from, you don't have to play it in exactly the same way as Barcelona.
Sarri did it at Napoli very successfully with Mertens, Liverpool do it with their front three and they are nothing like Barcelona (blood doping aside).
We're basically doing it now with Lacazette coming deep and Aubameyang running into the space, the shape when we are attacking is more or less the same as Maitland Niles goes to LCM anyway.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Thinking about this, people who have seen Aouar say he is best in that LCM Iniesta role in a 433, Auba basically plays like a Guardiola Barcelona winger (Henry. Villa , Pedro) wide in build up but ending up as a striker and Lacazette as a false nine linking up play.
You could maybe foresee us moving to a Pep Barcelona 433 with the wide players making those late pincer movements inside, it isn't that far removed from where we are now, shape wise.
I actually think that the false nine pressing (Firmino/Messi) role could suit Willian quite well, not sure he has the pace for the outside roles.

Something like this:

2ne15Z8.png

In theory this is interesting, but in reality it's fantasy stuff. The false 9 positon is a bit of a myth imo, its only have worked with Barca/Spain as they were the two greatest possession teams of all time. Barca also has Messi in this position.

There is no way we dominate the ball to the extent where we are constantly in the oppositon third every game, where we can play passes in behind to the wingers constantly. That team would also get destroyed on transitions imo.

The center forwards in the best teams now are all around 6ft, powerful, can hold the ball, technically gifted (Lewandoski/Firmino/Benzema ect). That's the type of player we should be aiming for to play that position imo.

Positive thing is that the main targets this summer (Aouar/Partey/Gabriel) are all profiles that we need and are suited to the modern game, so I expect us to sign a player like this once Lacazette goes.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
In theory this is interesting, but in reality it's fantasy stuff. The false 9 positon is a bit of a myth imo, its only have worked with Barca/Spain as they were the two greatest possession teams of all time. Barca also has Messi in this position.

There is no way we dominate the ball to the extent where we are constantly in the oppositon third every game, where we can play passes in behind to the wingers constantly. That team would also get destroyed on transitions imo.

The center forwards in the best teams now are all around 6ft, powerful, can hold the ball, technically gifted (Lewandoski/Firmino/Benzema ect). That's the type of player we should be aiming for to play that position imo.

Positive thing is that the main targets this summer (Aouar/Partey/Gabriel) are all profiles that we need and are suited to the modern game, so I expect us to sign a player like this once Lacazette goes.

From the three you mentioned Lewandowski is the only one who is an out and out centre forward the other two are very much false nines, go and watch how deep Benzema is for large portions of matches, his link up and all round play is actually fantastic.
Firmino was an attacking midfielder at Hoffenheim when Liverpool signed him, he isn't really even a striker, he's just exceptionally good.
I think either (striker or F9) system can work with the right players, I don't think there is a wrong and right answer here.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
From the three you mentioned Lewandowski is the only one who is an out and out centre forward the other two are very much false nines, go and watch how deep Benzema is for large portions of matches, his link up and all round play is actually fantastic.
Firmino was an attacking midfielder at Hoffenheim when Liverpool signed him, he isn't really even a striker, he's just exceptionally good.
I think either (striker or F9) system can work with the right players, I don't think there is a wrong and right answer here.

Call them a center forward or false 9, doesnt really make a difference. All are techincally sound, poweful (in their own way), can hold the ball and bring people into play. Obviously all have different styles and roles within their teams, but all share those core attributes. Its what we should be looking at imo.

Makavelii

I'm not sure where this idea that you can't play the formation without Messi and Xavi/Iniesta comes from, you don't have to play it in exactly the same way as Barcelona.
Sarri did it at Napoli very successfully with Mertens, Liverpool do it with their front three and they are nothing like Barcelona (blood doping aside).
We're basically doing it now with Lacazette coming deep and Aubameyang running into the space, the shape when we are attacking is more or less the same as Maitland Niles goes to LCM anyway.

Lacazette is definitely not playing false #9. He does not drop back and help in midfield at all.
Can't comment on the other examples except that I'm skeptical if you consider what we're doing now a false 9 formation.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Lovely stuff. Think that’s a new record. Sam Hart lasted less than 6 minutes as a reliable source. All the more impressive given that the video of Aouar training was posted before he claimed Aouar was in London.

Would've been fun, if Romano would've tapped into it as well. Gotta catch him like that at some point

Makavelii

Using the term false 9 extremely loosely. Just because a player is good at link up play doesn't make them a false 9.
Benzema and Firminho are not.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Sam Hart - 20 year old that looks about 12, that writes for Arsenal central website.

Doesnt come across as being a reliable source.

D

Dial Square 1886

I like the idea that Arsenal would seal such a big deal and then leak it to a 12 year old who writes for a website no-one has ever heard of before.

So many chancers out there these days!!

I guess the mindset is take a punt and if you are right once in ten and people see it, then suddenly you have some 'inside info' and some followers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom