• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Compare the big 6: who has had the best transfer window?

Which TWO clubs have had the best window so far?

• Total voters

Aevi

Hale End FC
I don't know how much money we had to spend but I'm happy with the signings we made. Gabriel and Partey were bought at good value with high ceilings. Willian, Runarsson, and Ceballos meanwhile are fine given their cost.

Solid window imo.

Jakarta

Who is this kid Man United signed for 40m? Amad Traore?

He looks good on youtube, but it’s crazy that he has only played 20 or so mins of professional footballo_O

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
- Signed 2 quality CBs in Gabriel and Mari.

- Signed our rivals second best player last season in Willian.

- Loaned the baller and one of the most talented cms in the league in Ceballos.

- signed a full back that can cross and who has positonal awareness in Cedric.

- signed a guy who runs about a lot, runs about quickly and is a phyically strong direct dribbler in Partey.

I would have liked to have kept Martinez, sold Bellerin and signed one of Arour or Jorginho but it has been a very good window.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I think we have done really well in a difficult position, considering both the Covid market and the amount of bang average players on high wages. I would have really liked us to have got rid of a few more but most of our anchors will be left at the bottom of the sea next summer so not too long to wait.

Chelsea probably have done best, still question marks over their defence though.

Man City, signed a couple of good central defenders and replaced Sane, achieved their minimum requirements. They have put a lot of faith in Foden to fill the Silva void and will need Aguero to stay fit.

Liverpool did all they really needed to do. Best first XI in the World at the moment and still managed to improve it with Thiago while adding depth up front and full back which was needed.

I don't rate Sp**s business as highly as some do. Added a fair bit to the squad but I'm not sure the quality is there. Bale could be brilliant or could be a huge waste of money. They needed more depth though and they have achieved that.

I think Man United having a 'disaster' is a bit of an exaggeration. Cavani and Van de Beek add depth up front and in midfield. Telles adds much needed competition at left back. Big question marks over central defence and Matic for me though and for that reason I would put them last.

I don't think there is as much difference as is made out but if I had to pick,

1 - Chelsea
2 - Liverpool
3 - Arsenal
4 - Sp**s
5 - Man City
6 - Man Utd

Tomb Bombadil

So can we still sell to PL clubs or just EFL?

If yes I think West Brom could use another CB. I think we still could sell Kolasinac or Chambers and maybe loan Nelson or Willock.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
So can we still sell to PL clubs or just EFL?

If yes I think West Brom could use another CB. I think we still could sell Kolasinac or Chambers and maybe loan Nelson or Willock.

Bellerin's going home to Watford (and finding his level)!

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
In terms of what the top 6 needed to progress -
  • Liverpool needed creativity in midfield to take the burden off of the full backs mainly. They also needed quality depth up front and in the full back areas. They signed Thiago (£25M) and Jota (£40M) and also a left back for depth as well. For what they needed this is a 10/10 window. Can't get much better than Thiago.
  • City needed two CB's, a better left back and a striker. They managed to sign Ake (£40M) and Dias (£60M). In terms of the CB's its excellent business but they failed in the other two areas. They also signed Ferran Torres who looks good. For me City's window is a 7/10.
  • United needed a starting CB, CDM and RW along with depth at striker, LB and AM to push forward. They signed VDB (£38M), Telles (£17M), Cavani and Traore (£30M). But Traore is coming in for January and he's very young and raw. For the money spent United had an incredibly poor window. They haven't improved their starting 11 since last season and are a shambles at the back. Depth is decent, but they didn't sign players for the key areas. 2/10 window at best.
  • Chelsea is an interesting one. They needed a GK, LB, arguably two CB's and two attackers to improve on their 4th place finish. They signed almost all of that and more. I think Havertz is a top signing for the future but Werner baffles me. Now being shipped out on the left hand side, feel like Werner doesn't suit Franks style at all. Ziyech will be a quality signing. Chilwell is great going forward but terrible defensively and ultimately Chelsea failed massively in signing top class defenders, Mendy could be a GK but nobody knows yet. For what Chelsea needed and the level of players they've signed its probably a 8/10 window just ahead of City.
  • Sp**s signed Doherty, Hojbjerg, Bale, Reguillon, Vinicius on loan and Joe Hart. Sp**s needed striker depth (check), better quality on the right (check), a better left back (check), a right back (check) a decent midfielder (unsure) and they also needed a CB badly which they failed with. I think Sp**s have done good business. On top of Ndombelly getting his act together and Kane/Son doing an absolute madness I worry about Sp**s. With the way things are going they look like the strongest team in the league. I'd give Sp**s window a 8/10. Skriniar would've pushed that to a 10/10.
  • Onto Arsenal. To progress we needed a quality CB, power in the midfield and creativity. We were an Aouar signing away from having a 10/10 window. There's still an opportunity for Buendia if we wanted it so not all hope is lost. We signed Auba up to a new contract, Saka up to a new contract and signed Gabriel (£25M), Partey (£45M), Willian and Ceballos on another loan. We had a 7.5/10 window overall, missed out on that David Silva sort of player to really polish us but you can't do everything in one go.

say yes

forum master baiter
Updated the OP to reflect deadline day.

Final net spend:
1. Chelsea - £206.3m
2. City - £85.7
3/4. Arsenal & United - £61.7m
5. Sp**s - £45m
6. Liverpool - £34m

My rankings:
1. Chelsea
2. Liverpool
3. Sp**s
4. Arsenal
5. City
6. United

Pretty happy with how our window went though.

D

Dial Square 1886

In terms of what the top 6 needed to progress -
  • Liverpool needed creativity in midfield to take the burden off of the full backs mainly. They also needed quality depth up front and in the full back areas. They signed Thiago (£25M) and Jota (£40M) and also a left back for depth as well. For what they needed this is a 10/10 window. Can't get much better than Thiago.
  • City needed two CB's, a better left back and a striker. They managed to sign Ake (£40M) and Dias (£60M). In terms of the CB's its excellent business but they failed in the other two areas. They also signed Ferran Torres who looks good. For me City's window is a 7/10.
  • United needed a starting CB, CDM and RW along with depth at striker, LB and AM to push forward. They signed VDB (£38M), Telles (£17M), Cavani and Traore (£30M). But Traore is coming in for January and he's very young and raw. For the money spent United had an incredibly poor window. They haven't improved their starting 11 since last season and are a shambles at the back. Depth is decent, but they didn't sign players for the key areas. 2/10 window at best.
  • Chelsea is an interesting one. They needed a GK, LB, arguably two CB's and two attackers to improve on their 4th place finish. They signed almost all of that and more. I think Havertz is a top signing for the future but Werner baffles me. Now being shipped out on the left hand side, feel like Werner doesn't suit Franks style at all. Ziyech will be a quality signing. Chilwell is great going forward but terrible defensively and ultimately Chelsea failed massively in signing top class defenders, Mendy could be a GK but nobody knows yet. For what Chelsea needed and the level of players they've signed its probably a 8/10 window just ahead of City.
  • Sp**s signed Doherty, Hojbjerg, Bale, Reguillon, Vinicius on loan and Joe Hart. Sp**s needed striker depth (check), better quality on the right (check), a better left back (check), a right back (check) a decent midfielder (unsure) and they also needed a CB badly which they failed with. I think Sp**s have done good business. On top of Ndombelly getting his act together and Kane/Son doing an absolute madness I worry about Sp**s. With the way things are going they look like the strongest team in the league. I'd give Sp**s window a 8/10. Skriniar would've pushed that to a 10/10.
  • Onto Arsenal. To progress we needed a quality CB, power in the midfield and creativity. We were an Aouar signing away from having a 10/10 window. There's still an opportunity for Buendia if we wanted it so not all hope is lost. We signed Auba up to a new contract, Saka up to a new contract and signed Gabriel (£25M), Partey (£45M), Willian and Ceballos on another loan. We had a 7.5/10 window overall, missed out on that David Silva sort of player to really polish us but you can't do everything in one go.

Totally agree about Sp**s.

Very impressed with what they got done, despite being in an apparently terrible financial situation!

Imagine what we would have done in the same situation. Brought in a couple of untested youngsters from the French second tier and sold one or two of our best players to 'balance the books.'

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Totally agree about Sp**s.

Very impressed with what they got done, despite being in an apparently terrible financial situation!

Imagine what we would have done in the same situation. Brought in a couple of untested youngsters from the French second tier and sold one or two of our best players to 'balance the books.'
Sp*rs have taken a 175 million pound government loan and are spending from it. :lol:
Sooner or later it'll catch up with them. If they don't guarantee CL football next season, they're screwed

Latest posts

Top Bottom