• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Nice article. Pretty much what we have been saying all along in the thread. Glad that someone has actually gathered all the stats for that. Under Arteta, Xhaka's role has been reduced to a role which any passenger can do. Even Elneny can replace him and do that job, maybe even in a better way.
A very interesting article and supports what I see on the pitch. I dont like that his game has been so reduced as I think the team would be more complete with a more rounded CM. The article is a bit contradictory at the end by saying he's no longer the main man in midfield. Whilst the duty of involvement seems to have fallen in Ceballos, Xhaka's much touted leadership qualities and seniority will always make him a target for the fans fury. His simplification and improved positional sense can still be negated by a ball over the top a good ball either side and quick counterplay. This article sounds as if the game is going on around him which to an extent it it. We need better or different to partner Partey and as one comment said, I can't imagine taking Vieira, Cesc or Santi off the ball. I think we need to move away from him next summer. Nice guy but his game style isn't for me.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

A very interesting article and supports what I see on the pitch. I dont like that his game has been so reduced as I think the team would be more complete with a more rounded CM. The article is a bit contradictory at the end by saying he's no longer the main man in midfield. Whilst the duty of involvement seems to have fallen in Ceballos, Xhaka's much touted leadership qualities and seniority will always make him a target for the fans fury. His simplification and improved positional sense can still be negated by a ball over the top a good ball either side and quick counterplay. This article sounds as if the game is going on around him which to an extent it it. We need better or different to partner Partey and as one comment said, I can't imagine taking Vieira, Cesc or Santi off the ball. I think we need to move away from him next summer. Nice guy but his game style isn't for me.

He has 3 years in contract. I'd say he could be extended next year, unless Arteta really does not rate him contrary to what he has said.

The point in the extension would be that he won't go into last year of contract, and as so we can still keep him as a rotational option for one more year and then sell him when we have got better players.

While rather selling Elneny, whose value & interest should be on the up after this season.

The point is to improve on starting quality and the earlier starters being left to rotational options, just like getting Partey means.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Giving a reduced role for Xhaka is clearly a temporary fix for the unbalanced squad we have - with 8 CB's and just 4 CM's out of which only two are good. We should definitely move on from him. Even this season, he doesn't have a confirmed berth in the team. I have a feeling that he will lose his starting role.
Very limited player. It's the management's failure that forced us to start him for so long. But as you said, till he is here, he will be facing fans' fury whenever we lose.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
He has 3 years in contract. I'd say he could be extended next year, unless Arteta really does not rate him contrary to what he has said.

The point in the extension would be that he won't go into last year of contract, and as so we can still keep him as a rotational option for one more year and then sell him when we have got better players.

While rather selling Elneny, whose value & interest should be on the up after this season.

The point is to improve on starting quality and the earlier starters being left to rotational options, just like getting Partey means.
I don't think Xhaka is the kind of player who would like to be a rotational option. The moment his role in the team starts reducing, he will look for a place elsewhere.

drippin

I don't think Xhaka is the kind of player who would like to be a rotational option. The moment his role in the team starts reducing, he will look for a place elsewhere.

That's why I said after this year he might be extended, before we get additions. Let's hope Xhaka is stupid enough to do that or loves Arsenal enough. :)

Big clubs need quality on the bench. No matter how well Elneny has performed, I don't see him as big club bench quality, unlike Xhaka.

Plus we still have to see how highly Arteta rates him or is it just bs.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I like the extension idea in general to avoid giving players too much leverage but it needs to be at reasonable wages. Otherwise we are just tying a rod to our back and are not able to get rid of a poor performing player without taking a large financial hit.

drippin

I like the extension idea in general to avoid giving players too much leverage but it needs to be at reasonable wages. Otherwise we are just tying a rod to our back and are not able to get rid of a poor performing player without taking a large financial hit.

Of course yeah. But Xhaka is Switzerland captain and has amazing amount of experience, plus has got rid of most of silly mistakes. He is on the up and coming to prime years.

We should be able to sell him even with a new contract, so protecting his value is a wise choice. While when he has that contract he has to accept being more of a rotational option for a year.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Of course yeah. But Xhaka is Switzerland captain and has amazing amount of experience, plus has got rid of most of silly mistakes. He is on the up and coming to prime years.

We should be able to sell him even with a new contract, so protecting his value is a wise choice. While when he has that contract he has to accept being more of a rotational option for a year.
Don’t share the positive view on Xhaka and his value, but agree on contract extension to protect whatever value there still is.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Have to show some respect. Some me of these passes are just beautiful. And also clever choice of pass which shows good game reading in him.
because of this idiotic emphasis on pressing.. most teams are playing without a functioning midfield, just a bumch of blokes who can harry the opposition. Quality wise xhaka gets into most teams midfield 3

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

His contract expires in 2023. Whether he stays next year depends on the emergence of our youth players, the covid situation,how much money we have and what area(s) we are able to prioritise. We could extend to protect his value but pre covid, only Hertha Berlin for £12m were in for his signature, so to me, we can sell in the summer potentially without losing money or compromising the team. I am certain that no player we don't want will go for £20m or over, so we move on the fringe players. If we extend for only a year given Xhaka's age, he might be insulted as it will he obvious that he's not a starter. I agree the starting 11 needs to improve and his position, Luiz's and Laca's are the main areas.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
That's why I said after this year he might be extended, before we get additions. Let's hope Xhaka is stupid enough to do that or loves Arsenal enough. :)

Big clubs need quality on the bench. No matter how well Elneny has performed, I don't see him as big club bench quality, unlike Xhaka.

Plus we still have to see how highly Arteta rates him or is it just bs.
Good points. My question is whether we'll get more money next summer after he'll probably look better with Partey or whether we extend for a year and phase him out in the 21/22 season. I think we'll get less money if we extend and phase him out and I can't see him extending without a pay rise. For example, with hindsight, we should have sold Chambers tei years ago and this scenario looks similar. On another note, after Xhaka's meltdown and Arteta's appointment, there was a rumour that Arteta wasn't bothered if he left but was nice to Xhaka's face which had the latter fuming. Arteta has managed to keep the ball away from Xhaka whilst still playing him every game and now I'm beginning to wonder whether Arteta is an even better liar than Wenger and Graham put together.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Good points. My question is whether we'll get more money next summer after he'll probably look better with Partey or whether we extend for a year and phase him out in the 21/22 season. I think we'll get less money if we extend and phase him out and I can't see him extending without a pay rise. For example, with hindsight, we should have sold Chambers tei years ago and this scenario looks similar. On another note, after Xhaka's meltdown and Arteta's appointment, there was a rumour that Arteta wasn't bothered if he left but was nice to Xhaka's face which had the latter fuming. Arteta has managed to keep the ball away from Xhaka whilst still playing him every game and now I'm beginning to wonder whether Arteta is an even better liar than Wenger and Graham put together.

That went quickly into nonsensical conspiracy theory.

drippin

Rumours are rumours, quotes are quotes. Actions are actions, like playing him.

I don't like that our managers are suggested to be liars.

His value was low because of the problems, just like Guendouzi, and still the club didn't sell him under 40 million. And now it's different.

"Arteta said he spoke with Xhaka about his relationship with Arsenal fans and feeling wanted by the club, per Tommaso Fiore of Sky Sports:

"I wanted him to hear from me my opinion on him, and that I was ready to support him and that I was ready to push the club to be supportive of him too, because I thought he could be a really, really good player for us and he could enjoy playing under me in this football club. I tried to convince him that way. He thought about it, he had a very positive response afterwards, and I think he changed his mind.""

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nit-xhaka-changed-his-mind-about-arsenal-exit

Last edited:

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Rumours are rumours, quotes are quotes. Actions are actions, like playing him.

I don't like that our managers are suggested to be liars.

His value was low because of the problems, just like Guendouzi, and still the club didn't sell him under 40 million. And now it's different.

"Arteta said he spoke with Xhaka about his relationship with Arsenal fans and feeling wanted by the club, per Tommaso Fiore of Sky Sports:

"I wanted him to hear from me my opinion on him, and that I was ready to support him and that I was ready to push the club to be supportive of him too, because I thought he could be a really, really good player for us and he could enjoy playing under me in this football club. I tried to convince him that way. He thought about it, he had a very positive response afterwards, and I think he changed his mind.""

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nit-xhaka-changed-his-mind-about-arsenal-exit

That conversation has also been aknowledged by Xhaka and he's just recently said if it weren't for Arteta his Arsenal career would have definitly ended in the january transfer window.

https://tbrfootball.com/decisive-fa...-mikel-arteta-with-ensuring-his-arsenal-stay/

drippin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom