• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

A partnership that would finish 20th, not even a hint of a relegation scrap. The Norwich City of this forum.
now i realise that when the bumsquad says they want their Arsenal back.. they want it to literally go backwards.. 5th, 6th, 8th .....

kash2

and the punch and judy show rolls on desperately trying to troll.. while spamming this thread to drown out any other voice. pathetic people but probably this is the only life they have and at least here their existence is acknowledged even if as a bad smell

musoke

Just for context, a lot of us get tarred as Özil haters.

Ozils remains my favourite signing of all time. I adored him as a player. I loved the flair and thought him the ideal Arsenal and Wenger signing. He was in a lot of ways. I'd defend him over any criticism that came his way for the majority of his career here.

About 18 months to 2 years ago I realised that I wasn't defending him for the current performances he was putting in anymore, I was defending him out of adoration for his style of play, and what he used to be as a player and my stubbornness.

People can call me an Özil hater or whatever, I don't think it's true. I just took the blinkers off and started judging his performances how they were rather than how I wanted them to be, or how they were in the past.
This is exactly me.
Many of us tbh.

Özil was best no.10 in the world when we signed him, nobody saw this coming. In terms of excitement, statement and hope, Özil comes 2nd after Bergkamp in my opinion.

If anything, Özil is the bigger star as the 90's was different.

The Özil fans should not be labelling you lot as HATERS. At least you guys used to be fans and rated him highly compared to a very small number of us.

The Özil fans are the most sensitive individuals I have ever come across. They are like Trump fans.
Trump is everything to them and any critics are labelled as haters of America, deep state, you are brainwashed by the Liberal media blah blah.:)

For someone like myself it’s different. I did not know that much about him apart from watching a Madrid game here and there in the CL and when Madrid played the likes of Barcelona, Atletico, Sevilla etc.

So for me the Özil I know well is the one at Arsenal. The one that has been here for nearly 8 seasons now. And I have to say, been so underwhelmed / disappointed by him as our record breaking big money signing overall. May be it’s because of the hype, excitement, happiness, optimism that about 98% of our fanbase projected when we signed him. I thought we were signing a dominant Cesc, Nasri, Santi, Iniesta, Rosicky, Modric, Silva, Marco Verratti etc kind of midfielder.

Been a big disappointment for me. Above average (6/10) overall.

May be a very small number of Arsenal fans like myself should be labelled the HATERs because we never rated him, but not the likes of you who used to be massive fans of his.

But I would label myself a harsh Özil critic than a HATER. Just because I criticise him and don’t rate him as highly as some do him shouldn’t make me a hater, should it? :lol:

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

The Özil fans are the most sensitive individuals I have ever come across.
I disagree, think its Xhaka fans by quite a distance.

The frustration with Özil for many is as long as most of us can remember, we have always had a prominent number 10 or a creative player.

Now its been taken away and its kinda hard to work out why and hard for most of us to adjust. Just looks wrong imo. Özil frustrates me but you're right I definitely don't hate him.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I’ve cancelled the restaurant and drink up... Gonna trim my beard, put my best shirt on and sit in this thread later instead
:popcorn:
Yeah. Have a feeling there might be a late drama.

TakeChillPill

Established Member

The frustration with Özil for many is as long as most of us can remember, we have always had a prominent number 10 or a creative player.

Now its been taken away and its kinda hard to work out why and hard for most of us to adjust. Just looks wrong imo. Özil frustrates me but you're right I definitely don't hate him.

I think there is only one guy who's a xhaka fan. I think in general there is a concensus that xhaka's performance ability ranges from average to rubbish.

At £35m there is an acceptance that we've bought a lemon.

Özil on the other hand is a world class talent....when he can be bothered.

Last edited:

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
Don't get why this thread gets so tribalistic. Özil signing was the best thing that we did on deadline day for years. He was what, 42 mil? Lot of money, but when he came in we went up a notch, won some trophies, and in hindsight that top four spot given our overall spend probably was an achievement.

I still love watching him play when hes at his best, but god knows what happened. I'll be sad about this looking back, but yeah, its done. If Arteta suddenly thought it could work again, I'm on board. But i doubt it.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
The Özil fans should not be labelling you lot as HATERS. At least you guys used to be fans and rated him highly compared to a very small number of us.

The Özil fans are the most sensitive individuals I have ever come across. They are like Trump fans.
Trump is everything to them and any critics are labelled as haters of America, deep state, you are brainwashed by the Liberal media blah blah.:)

For someone like myself it’s different. I did not know that much about him apart from watching a Madrid game here and there in the CL and when Madrid played the likes of Barcelona, Atletico, Sevilla etc.

So for me the Özil I know well is the one at Arsenal. The one that has been here for nearly 8 seasons now. And I have to say, been so underwhelmed / disappointed by him as our record breaking big money signing overall. May be it’s because of the hype, excitement, happiness, optimism that about 98% of our fanbase projected when we signed him. I thought we were signing a dominant Cesc, Nasri, Santi, Iniesta, Rosicky, Modric, Silva, Marco Verratti etc kind of midfielder.

Been a big disappointment for me. Above average (6/10) overall.

May be a very small number of Arsenal fans like myself should be labelled the HATERs because we never rated him, but not the likes of you who used to be massive fans of his.

But I would label myself a harsh Özil critic than a HATER. Just because I criticise him and don’t rate him as highly as some do him shouldn’t make me a hater, should it? :lol:
Exactly. I don't hate Özil. I just never rated him.
There are lists of weaknesses and limitations in him. And I see these before he even joined Arsenal. Before he joined, I watched the likes of hleb, rosicky, nasri, silva, modric, iniesta, cazorla...but i never see Özil can be as dominant on the pitch as them. That’s why I was against his transfer back then. I have explained his weaknesses in the below post, with evidence/explanation but their fans would just try to ignore.

Please watch 16:06-16:12

Why is he making that pass? That passing option is so wrong (I know you would praise him, because it’s a “forward pass“. I wouldn’t, that is a terrible passing option). Ramsey is next to him, Sagna is next to him.

He should have made a short pass to Ramsey, run into the space in front of him, receive the ball back. And look for another combination play again (maybe with a few skill moves in between). That’s what I called involving in the build up. Not passing the ball forward and “leave” the play.

The thinking behind Özil is to play forward pass quickly, which is alright in counter attack. But if we want to play possession football, he should have done what I have mentioned. Most other attacking midfielders would have passes the ball around, because they wanted the ball as much as possible.

I’m sick of seeing Özil keep making these kind of “forward pass”, and hope one of them will end up well. You fans would praise him if one of these worked out, but in fact it is a complete waste of possession, which leads to drastic decrease of chances that our team could have possibly created.

By the way, we were overloading on the right midfield area. Özil didn’t utilise the numerical advantage. Despite having numbers around him, he chose to make a “forward pass” to a marked player. If we lost the ball there (very likely as the overload is on the right midfield not the right forward area), the opponent can switch play to another side. And we are underloaded there.

I don’t understand why you would keep seeing passes like this, but not able to realise how shxt he is in the build up. If it is another player making the same pass, you would have jumped right into the pitch and beaten him up.

@Trilly
Did you even watch the video you have posted?

He would always make a forward pass, then the ball is not around him anymore. Everytime he releases the ball, the ball is no longer under his play. If the forward options are not available, he would just make a short simple pass to another player, to let that player to create the play.

If you look at all other attacking midfielders, they make combination play in the midfield, they passes the ball around, making one-twos all the time. Always being near the ball. They want to control the ball as much as they can. Dribbling past players, then release the ball, then receive the ball back. Özil would make a forward pass and then say: alright, here you go, you make the play.

Last edited:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

now i realise that when the bumsquad says they want their Arsenal back.. they want it to literally go backwards.. 5th, 6th, 8th .....
You know we finished 8th last season, don’t you? So finishing 5th or 6th is actually going forwards. Just saying...

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
My problem with Özil is that he doesn’t play entertaining possession football. He never dominate plays. Not involving enough in the general play. And only works in the final phase of the game.

He is not the skilful player you imagine he is. We had players like van persie, Hleb, rosicky, fabregas, nasri, Sanchez, cazorla, arshavin......who dominate in possession. Özil never plays wengerball like those players did. This is why I don’t rate him.

kash2

My problem with Özil is that he doesn’t play entertaining possession football. He never dominate plays. Not involving enough in the general play. And only works in the final phase of the game.

He is not the skilful player you imagine he is. We had players like van persie, Hleb, rosicky, fabregas, nasri, Sanchez, cazorla, arshavin......who dominate in possession. Özil never plays wengerball like those players did. This is why I don’t rate him.

He has what the spanish call Verticalidad. Wengerball is not PepBall. If you were unable to appreciate the peak Cazorla-Özil-Sanchez football, which sadly was cut short in its prime, then one cant really help you.

Better stick with cutbacks eh Unai

scytheavatar

Established Member

Wenger already can explain to you why we can't have a prominent number 10 or a creative player:

The way football is going at the moment it's quick counter-pressing, quick transitions and everybody plays the same. It's kicked out players like Özil.

We can try to play a "prominent number 10 or a creative player" if we want to be ****ed up and pressed out of the pitch by our opponents. There's no room in modern football for a player like Özil. Also the fact that Wenger understands that yet still thinks we need to play Özil cause he's Özil shows why we were justified in telling him to get out of the club. Modern football has kicked out managers like Wenger too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom