• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: My Life and Lessons In Red & White

avalonhse

Full quote:
“It does not upset me. With him its constant provocation. I feel like I am at kindergarten, but that is part of his personality. And it is false, we beat him (2 out of 19 times). We won, and there were also a lot of draws… And it is not “you” who wins, you participate in the victory. It is “we” who win. The manager is there to get the maximum out of the team.”

Totally agree with him. Here is the brat Mourinho is always trying to take all credit for himself despite football winning is a team effort.

Must mention as well that Mourinho never met Wenger best squad. An unfair game to Wenger because Mourinho always manage rich clubs which spend ridiculously.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
There's a good article by Simon Kuper in the FT yesterday. I can't post a link and sorry if its already been mentioned.
Ps love Jose (not Sp**s) being pegged back today. No doubt, he'll claim he beat West Ham when he writes his fictional autobiography

Last edited:

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Wenger really suffered when Dein left. He lost an ally, a shield, an advocate and someone who could cover for him and share his workload.

It was his stubbornness that made him stay and in some ways he relished the challenge that would stretch him to his limits..but it was an increasingly lonely journey. its good to see that he made it through and gathered a really likeable loyal and intelligent group of players who won him three FA cups and played football as an art. Some of them went on to take care of the club after he left.

GDeep™

League is very weak
With fouls and bad challenges this weekend I was thinking we had a period where we probably had the most fouled at attacked team in PL history, with no protection from authorities or media.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Have bought the book expecting to be further impressed by the great man, but be disappointed by theaxj of clarity given in key moments in the latter part of his time here.

SalvatoreFresi

With fouls and bad challenges this weekend I was thinking we had a period where we probably had the most fouled at attacked team in PL history, with no protection from authorities or media.

The media even encouraged it. They thrived on it. They propagated the simpleton narrative that the team with a lot of foreigners were by definition in the wrong. Initially, we were portrayed as a dirty team because we had physically robust players who were cautioned a lot. In the invincible season, we were awarded the fair play price so it became difficult to proceed with the broken narrative. Instead, the press started perceiving our team as one comprised of dishonest divers. The press clinged onto Pires’ dive against Portsmouth. Opposing fans always refer to that incident, which occured seventeen years ago, when they try make the argument that we get preferential treatment as a big club. The whole idea that Arsenal are a soft touch arose at Old Trafford in 2004. The press loved the dichotomy between the fragile dishonest foreigners with a whinging manager up against the hardworking honest Brits. It sold newspapers and atteacted viewers. The ‘interview’ Roy Keane gave to Geoff Shreeves, the obstinate orc, after they beat us 4-2 at Highbury in 2005 is a prime example of that. GS asked or rather told Keane that the good football United played that day was a response to the critcism that they were overly physical when they ended our unbeaten run. Completely oblivious to or intentionally ignoring the fact that we complained about the total impunity bestowed upon Man Utd by Riley. Geoff was at again when Eduardo was assaulted by Martin Taylor in 2008.The first question he asked Wenger: Did you think it was a straight red? By then every clear decision that went against us was ignored by the media. When Wenger occasionally brought incidents up, it only served to reinforce the constructed image of him as a whinging frenchman. You know that the opposing players are confident when they prior to a match express their intent to kick us. That happened the day before Ramsey broke his leg. In the post-match interview, ‘the journalist’ was preoccupied with getting AW to express sympathy with Shawcross. The refs knew and know that if they give a decision against us, as wrong as it may be, no one will bat an eyelid. And if they give a decision our way by applying the rules, everyone will be up in arms about it. The interview David Moyes gave last season when we beat WHU is instructive.
Lacazette scored the winner but the flag was up. Even though VAR corrected the flagrantly incorrect decision, the media latched unto it. Moyes called the decision of the linesman ‘a good decision’. A decision against us is a ‘good decision’, irrespective of the rules. You even had pundits arguing that Aubeyang’s equalizer at Old Trafford that same season shouldn’t have stood because the Utd players stopped playing when the linesman raised his flag even though Auba was two metres onside. Harry Kane was clearly offside, however,when he won a penalty against us at Wembley in Emery’s first season. Again, the rules were disregarded. Ferguson and his cronies managed to set the tone in conjunction with the media and we are still suffering from that. Today, with the influx of managers and players from overseas, the media are rebranding themselves and their heroes. You have Shreeves usings words with up to three syllables and I even heard the preposterously pompous prick Henry Winther describe Alex Ferguson as a bit of a renaissance man because he drinks wine and is obsessed with Laurel and Hardy. **** me that term has been diluted.

So who has read his autobiography yet and what is the most intresting fact he is sharing?
Can't wait to receive it and see if he has something to say about one of these memorable moments

Last edited:

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
The media even encouraged it. They thrived on it. They propagated the simpleton narrative that the team with a lot of foreigners were by definition in the wrong. Initially, we were portrayed as a dirty team because we had physically robust players who were cautioned a lot. In the invincible season, we were awarded the fair play price so it became difficult to proceed with the broken narrative. Instead, the press started perceiving our team as one comprised of dishonest divers. The press clinged onto Pires’ dive against Portsmouth. Opposing fans always refer to that incident, which occured seventeen years ago, when they try make the argument that we get preferential treatment as a big club. The whole idea that Arsenal are a soft touch arose at Old Trafford in 2004. The press loved the dichotomy between the fragile dishonest foreigners with a whinging manager up against the hardworking honest Brits. It sold newspapers and atteacted viewers. The ‘interview’ Roy Keane gave to Geoff Shreeves, the obstinate orc, after they beat us 4-2 at Highbury in 2005 is a prime example of that. GS asked or rather told Keane that the good football United played that day was a response to the critcism that they were overly physical when they ended our unbeaten run. Completely oblivious to or intentionally ignoring the fact that we complained about the total impunity bestowed upon Man Utd by Riley. Geoff was at again when Eduardo was assaulted by Martin Taylor in 2008.The first question he asked Wenger: Did you think it was a straight red? By then every clear decision that went against us was ignored by the media. When Wenger occasionally brought incidents up, it only served to reinforce the constructed image of him as a whinging frenchman. You know that the opposing players are confident when they prior to a match express their intent to kick us. That happened the day before Ramsey broke his leg. In the post-match interview, ‘the journalist’ was preoccupied with getting AW to express sympathy with Shawcross. The refs knew and know that if they give a decision against us, as wrong as it may be, no one will bat an eyelid. And if they give a decision our way by applying the rules, everyone will be up in arms about it. The interview David Moyes gave last season when we beat WHU is instructive.
Lacazette scored the winner but the flag was up. Even though VAR corrected the flagrantly incorrect decision, the media latched unto it. Moyes called the decision of the linesman ‘a good decision’. A decision against us is a ‘good decision’, irrespective of the rules. You even had pundits arguing that Aubeyang’s equalizer at Old Trafford that same season shouldn’t have stood because the Utd players stopped playing when the linesman raised his flag even though Auba was two metres onside. Harry Kane was clearly offside, however,when he won a penalty against us at Wembley in Emery’s first season. Again, the rules were disregarded. Ferguson and his cronies managed to set the tone in conjunction with the media and we are still suffering from that. Today, with the influx of managers and players from overseas, the media are rebranding themselves and their heroes. You have Shreeves usings words with up to three syllables and I even heard the preposterously pompous prick Henry Winther describe Alex Ferguson as a bit of a renaissance man because he drinks wine and is obsessed with Laurel and Hardy. **** me that term has been diluted.
and then a section of our so-called fans turned against wenger instead of using that same energy, yelling , airplane flying against the referees and making them think twice before screwing us over

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Just my random unstructured thoughts and stuff that stuck out to me. Warning, spoilers and waffle on my part.

Reading the book it was interesting to see the very traditional upbringing he had which he holds very dear and carries through his life. Explains how he sees the world and why he holds everybody to the same standard.

The book is a bit misleading, as it is titled "My Life in Red & White" so you would assume its an Arsenal book, until you realise all the clubs he has managed had red and white kits/badges.

Interestingly enough he reveals the departures of the invincibles didn't hurt him as they had given their best for the club and they won stuff. Cesc, Nasri and some of the other younger talents absolutely killed him each time.

He also mentions Gazidis I think once?? I could be mistaken but the most he says about the guy is that they worked together.

He doesn't mention Kronkes much at all, just notes that English football had changed from English families passing the club down generations to being foreign owned. (a dig at some values getting lost? but that's me reading between the lines.)

One thing I did notice, to me I felt a lot of sadness when he reflected on Arsenal particularly towards the end. Throughout the book, he emphasises the sacrifices he made, the exhaustion, his unwavering commitment and dedication.

Notable sacrifices including not having time for friends, his wife, admitting he didn't really raise his daughter at all and turning down his boyhood club Real Madrid numerous times.

My main take away is I can't help but feel that he felt betrayed. He mentions hostility from the fans and "sections of the board" as factors behind his exit. He doesn't mention names or expand on it at all.

He doesn't address his shortcomings or his mistakes at all in case you're wondering. His biggest regrets are some of the players who had career ending injuries under him.
Credits most of Arsenal's decline to the enforced rigid salary structure due to stadium debts and financial doping before financial fair play kicked in.

He still hasn't watched the Champions League final till this day - yet he accurately recalls the exact minute of Jen's red card, the subs, Sol's goal and the exact minutes when we conceded. Just to give you an idea of how much it haunts him.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a follow up book, or sequel or something more Arsenal focused because he literally doesn't answer anything we wanted to know.

I know Wenger is beloved by some of you, so apologies for anything I misunderstood, plain got wrong, missed out or paraphrased incorrectly.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He was at Arsenal from 26-50. His story you see in a movie or something. Cesc considers him a Don of some sorts.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You want to let Cagigao go but you also want to spend money on absolute trash. A 30 year old Cedric on a 4 year deal, a 27 year old Mari who has done nothing in his career, an old Willian who in front of our eyes has done nothing since we played that pub team Fulham and he put in a cross.

Manberg

Predator
You want to let Cagigao go but you also want to spend money on absolute trash. A 30 year old Cedric on a 4 year deal, a 27 year old Mari who has done nothing in his career, an old Willian who in front of our eyes has done nothing since we played that pub team Fulham and he put in a cross.

Cedric and Willian were free transfers. Mari cost £7m, not a huge fee.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
Mourinho isn’t man enough to admit it, but he truly envies Wenger. Mourinho could become the most successful manager in the history of the game, but he’d never have a legacy as big as Arsène’s.

Wenger is universally admired and respected, you’ll never hear a single Arsène player who says a bad thing about him even Anonymously, while this **** can’t even manage a single club without alienating, humiliating and BULLYING his own players.

When he wins, he’ll take All the credit, but when he gets punched in the mouth like the other night against West Ham, he distances himself and comes up with the most ridiculous and childish quotes like ‘FOOTBALL HAPPENED’. Mofo, wtf does that even mean? :lol:

Top Bottom