• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
You never explained why he had an “absolute stinker”. Which mistake did he make that costed us a goal?
The haters keep going on about the amount of mistakes he makes, yet I cannot remember the last one that resulted in an opposition goal, must’ve been a very long time ago, but you guys go on like he does it every week.
You see that’s your problem. You think Xhaka has to make a mistake in order to have a bad game. That’s not what I’m saying. In the Liverpool game he was caught under pressure multiple times, didn’t progress the ball much and was being out ran by their midfield. Arteta took him off and Xhaka had no injuries. Why do you think he cane off then?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Let’s calm down. Xhaka had an absolute stinker against Liverpool just before the break. Twice in fact. Let’s see him walk before asking him to sprint.
I'm not his fan :D , just saying some facts. He did play well in some of the games, he wasn't great in some other, and that's where the rotation should kick in. Saka and Ceballos will have some bad games as well, but finally, we don't have to start someone who doesn't perform anymore.

Manberg

Predator
You see that’s your problem. You think Xhaka has to make a mistake in order to have a bad game. That’s not what I’m saying. In the Liverpool game he was caught under pressure multiple times, didn’t progress the ball much and was being out ran by their midfield. Arteta took him off and Xhaka had no injuries. Why do you think he cane off then?

Maybe it was tactical. Doesn’t mean he was poor it just means you need different options.
Could also be to rest him because he went on to play (and captain) every minute of the cup game 3 days later.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I've been a critic but he did well yesterday. He played on the front foot and went to and with the ball. None of this getting into position and closing passing lanes nonsense. He was proactive and imo better than Ceballos for large parts. They both lacked that real creativity that we need but that's how I want to see him play. Visible without having to actively look for him and trying to gauge, guess and make up what he was trying to do. That's the minimum standard from now.

RunTheTrap

I've been a critic but he did well yesterday. He played on the front foot and went to and with the ball. None of this getting into position and closing passing lanes nonsense. He was proactive and imo better than Ceballos for large parts. They both lacked that real creativity that we need but that's how I want to see him play. Visible without having to actively look for him and trying to gauge, guess and make up what he was trying to do. That's the minimum standard from now.
I don't think he was better than Cellabos. They had different roles. Xhaka was playing further up the pitch. There were quite a few times where he was level with Auba. I believe Arteta did this because he knew Xhaka would struggle under a press like he did at Liverpool. Put your most press-resistant midfielder at the base of midfield to collect and start distributing, while Xhaka presses high up the pitch. Obviously, Xhaka being higher up the pitch means he's more likely to create which he did a okay job at. Funny thing is, this was the type of performance you expect from Partey. I think Arteta may be gearing up for a Xhaka-less future.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

Yeah, he played a very nice game. Arteta had him really playing as the more advanced of the two midfielders in the pivot. He was the one with freedom to move higher and press and Ceballos was also the one receiving deeper generally. Given that it's kinda a wash in terms of them as ball-winners and athleticism as cover, makes sense this usage of them. (A reminder to those that for some weird reason don't realise that Dani and Xhaka are both very much deep lying midfielders)

Feel pretty good about Dani, Xhaka, and Thomas as our three options for a midfield two. Just really don't want to see them in the same midfield 3 for many games, except for the occasional game against a City or a Liverpool. I'm a bit worried I'm going to see that a lot more than I want, though, this season under Arteta, which is why I wanted Aouar over Thomas. :/

RunTheTrap

Maybe it was tactical. Doesn’t mean he was poor it just means you need different options.
Could also be to rest him because he went on to play (and captain) every minute of the cup game 3 days later.
What were the tactics then?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I don't think he was better than Cellabos. They had different roles. Xhaka was playing further up the pitch. There were quite a few times where he was level with Auba. I believe Arteta did this because he knew Xhaka would struggle under a press like he did at Liverpool. Put your most press-resistant midfielder at the base of midfield to collect and start distributing, while Xhaka presses high up the pitch. Obviously, Xhaka being higher up the pitch means he's more likely to create which he did a okay job at. Funny thing is, this was the type of performance you expect from Partey. I think Arteta may be gearing up for a Xhaka-less future.
As I said, he was better than Ceballos for large parts of the game not necessarily overall. The change in roles whilst both were fairly prominent didnt increase chance creation and that will determine our formation going forward. I agree that Xhaka played like I expect to see Partey play. The crucial difference is that Partey will be quicker and more robust. Xhaka has a chance to partner him if this performance is his baseline. Xhaka/Ceballos, Partey and Saka look decent if we get the shape right in the middle. After that, we have issues in attack :facepalm:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Yeah, he played a very nice game. Arteta had him really playing as the more advanced of the two midfielders in the pivot. He was the one with freedom to move higher and press and Ceballos was also the one receiving deeper generally. Given that it's kinda a wash in terms of them as ball-winners and athleticism as cover, makes sense this usage of them. (A reminder to those that for some weird reason don't realise that Dani and Xhaka are both very much deep lying midfielders)

Feel pretty good about Dani, Xhaka, and Thomas as our three options for a midfield two. Just really don't want to see them in the same midfield 3 for many games, except for the occasional game against a City or a Liverpool. I'm a bit worried I'm going to see that a lot more than I want, though, this season under Arteta, which is why I wanted Aouar over Thomas. :/
The midfield will be built around Partey now. I'm glad someone else doesn't want Xhaka played in front of the defence. He poos his pants there as he gets targeted. He was much better further up the pitch yesterday. I'm not sure about Aouar atm-he seems a bit too off the ball for me. We need a new Cesc/Santi. You're right about the athleticism and ball winning of Xhaka and Ceballos although both made some good interceptions yesterday. The crucial thing for me is that when Mahrez passed to Aguero, Ceballos failed to track him properly. Xhaka was slow to get in to the box. Partey doesn't let Aguero run free and that stops the goal imo. If we play these three, we can drop Pepe or Willian and move Saka forward. These smallish tweaks should lead to sizeable improvements.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

he was bad, there was 3-4 times he got the ball in midfield and instead of moving forward for us to counter, they caught up with him really quick and he had to go backwards. He really need time and space to hit forward pass. We have got so used to his slow ass that we forgot how slow he is on the ball

GDeep™

League is very weak
Talking about slow, again, who saw Dani running in quicksand for the goal? Thought he was a ghost yesterday.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The midfield will be built around Partey now. I'm glad someone else doesn't want Xhaka played in front of the defence. He poos his pants there as he gets targeted. He was much better further up the pitch yesterday. I'm not sure about Aouar atm-he seems a bit too off the ball for me. We need a new Cesc/Santi. You're right about the athleticism and ball winning of Xhaka and Ceballos although both made some good interceptions yesterday. The crucial thing for me is that when Mahrez passed to Aguero, Ceballos failed to track him properly. Xhaka was slow to get in to the box. Partey doesn't let Aguero run free and that stops the goal imo. If we play these three, we can drop Pepe or Willian and move Saka forward. These smallish tweaks should lead to sizeable improvements.

0_Boreham-Wood-v-Arsenal-Pre-Season-Friendly.jpg

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
he was bad, there was 3-4 times he got the ball in midfield and instead of moving forward for us to counter, they caught up with him really quick and he had to go backwards. He really need time and space to hit forward pass. We have got so used to his slow ass that we forgot how slow he is on the ball

He had a few very nice passes, one between the lines that was quite unlike him, one of his floated/curled with effect ones over the top to Auba, and a couple typical quality switches of play. The first two I mention were especially nice because I don't think he had all day to make them, as he usually does when he makes that kind of pass.

He won the back cleanly a number of times and had a very nice game defensively.

All in all it was a nice performance, don't see how you would say it's not.

@Mrs Bergkamp I mean yeah, I have my questions about Aouar but then I trust more or less our scouting and decision makers, and that was the player they identified for that need. I would've gone for James myself, think he would've fit us like a glove. I like Willian but tbh between playing with a creator like James, as Everton is using him and he's been used at the top level most his career, as an interior RW and playing Willian, I would've gone for James as the free transfer between the two.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
How long until he's ready and can ESR do a job now?

I think he and ESR are quite different. The latter is more of an advanced attacking midfielder who’ll make a lot of off ball runs into space (although that can be adjusted). Azeez gets on the ball from deep, often first receiver from defence, can turn and pass through the lines. Doesn’t run as much as ESR.

Ofcourse I’m speculating about his readiness but his composure, vision and quality on the ball - in a specific role we lack, makes me feel like he’s worth bedding in now.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I think he and ESR are quite different. The latter is more of an advanced attacking midfielder who’ll make a lot of off ball runs into space (although that can be adjusted). Azeez gets on the ball from deep, often first receiver from defence, can turn and pass through the lines. Doesn’t run as much as ESR.

Ofcourse I’m speculating about his readiness but his composure, vision and quality on the ball - in a specific role we lack, makes me feel like he’s worth bedding in now.

Azeez has barely even begun at U23 level, much less first team. The trend in football right now is that young attacking midfielders, even the most elite of prospects, are not really being bedded into the first team at top clubs until their early 20s at least: Ødegaard, Aouchiche, Gomes, Reinier, Brahim, etc. etc.

Anyways, as you point out, Azeez is not really an attacking midfielder either, he profiles as about as creative as Ceballos (think in projecting, that Ceballos at Azeez's age at lower levels was a major creative force) if we're lucky.

But if we wanted to go with youth surely we would've just signed Aouchiche or Gomes who are two elite young 10 prospects. Probably someone else I'm forgetting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom