• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Those oldest videos of Nelson demonstrate more technique and flair than anything anybody has seen of Omari not that I want to attack Omari or anything, huge believer in his talent.

I already said that if Nelson doesn't make it here, flair players like Hutchinson and Flores will need a miracle to breakthrough. Cause Nelson was more electrifying at like 14 than both. Had everything you want in a young attacking prospect. He was rated higher than even Sancho and Odoi at that point.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He lacks balls tbh. Always plays with fear on his face and whilst I’d like him to force a way into the side - playing week in week out with the manager’s arm around him would benefit him more.

Unfortunately, you won’t really find that from loan moves. That gap between U23s and men’s football is so awkward.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He showed some good signs vs Leicester. We need to continue to give him minutes against subpar opposition to build his confidence.

I remember him being always fearless. I don't know what happened between him and Naggelsmann in Hoffenheim in the second half of the 2018/2019 season. He hasn't recovered from it. In the first half of that season he was on par with Sancho in the Bundesliga.

Look at CHO, he always relishes the chance to take on a defender.

Last edited:

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I already said that if Nelson doesn't make it here, flair players like Hutchinson and Flores will need a miracle to breakthrough. Cause Nelson was more electrifying at like 14 than both. Had everything you want in a young attacking prospect. He was rated higher than even Sancho and Odoi at that point.

Tbf I don't think that's necessarily true, look at Saka, who at 14 wasn't half the player Nelson was, but at 18 was twice the player.

History is littered with examples of footballers who looked to have absolutely everything at the age of 15-18, but then for whatever reason didn't translate their abilities to the highest level. In Nelson's case so far it seems to be his on the pitch personality.

But just because Flores and Hutchinson aren't any better than Nelson was at 16 doesn't mean they can't be better pros or make it here, they're all extremely talented.

Impact

Established Member
Surprised that nothing has materialised regarding a loan. There are a lot of players ahead of Nelson in the pecking order and he needs games to develop.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I like Nelson almost as much as MutableEarth and GeoFranco but to play devil's advocate a bit, I do wonder at a certain point if he just doesn't have the personality.

Your posts had me thinking back a bit to Nelson's academy days, and I remembered particularly the UEFA Youth league game against Anderlecht which was streamed live, which was the first time I thought to myself there was a possibility Nelson might not make it. He played rather like we've seen him for the first team in that game, very much inside himself...I came away thinking it was probably just because he was on the right and is better on the left to allow his technique and quality to express itself a bit more, but after seeing now a few years of first team performances like that I worry.

I think one of the things that's hardest to judge at youth level and which you don't really see until first team level is personality, and it's also one of the most decisive factors in if a player makes it. It can be the difference between what Nelson is now and what Sancho is. It's one of the reasons I was also 100% certain Gnabry would make it, and why I'm certain Guendouzi will make it wherever he ends up, they've shown from their first minute in an Arsenal shirt both that they have the personality to be a top player in their position. (Gnabry is the complete package in terms of talent so that obviously helps, whereas whether Guendouzi turns out to be a good player like say a Dani Parejo or Winks or a top player will depend on whether he can defend) Gnabry we'll remember came on for a cameo against Schalke in Champions League and if I recall correctly his first or one of his first touches was a little elastico to beat a man. It's a little thing but you could tell he translated the exact personality he showed with the youths to the first team. He then made important contributions in our title challenge (goal against Swansea, forced penalty at Palace) or in a NLD, never shirking responsibility.

Whenever I see Saka and Nelson on the pitch at the same time I really worry for Nelson. There you see that contrast in personality really laid bare. Nelson is probably all in all the slightly more talented technically of the two (they're both extremely so), but you watch Saka and he's using his technique, quickness, and close control to advance the ball in tight spaces into more dangerous ones, he's moving into channels and asking for the ball...whereas Nelson is using his usually to turn back, to keep the ball and keep it simple, and is rarely taking up the kind of interesting positions Saka is where he can be dangerous and where he can do something special. (tbf, I did like that Nelson came and received a few times in the 10 space yesterday, something I hadn't seen him do much under Arteta yet)

I'm being patient with Nelson because we all know what's there but I am officially worried that he just doesn't have the (on the field) personality of a top player.
Agree.

Another one I like to use is Rashford. Was never even the highest rated talent in his age groups at United but when the kid came onto the scene he was fearless.

Will shoot from anywhere, will try the elasticos and high risk skill moves, no fear of playing badly. Mbappe another obvious one that combines that fearlessness with elite talent.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I never rated Nelson’s skills and technical ability. Saka looks more skillful to me back then when they were in the u23.
——————————————————————
@MutableEarth
Do you remember we had a discussion years ago on Nelson, Amaechi and Saka?

You said Nelson was more technical, Amaechi is more physical. And you think they will have better development and career than Saka.

I said I don’t think they will become top talent. But if I have to pick one, saka is the best player out of the three. He uses his skills better, and he is smarter with his movement.

Now, Saka is not at Sancho/Odoi level. He is great but not regarded a top talent. Nelson’s and Amaechi are clearly not as good as saka. Which is exactly what I have predicted.
——————————————————————
Back then when Gnabry was here, I was very angry when we kept playing walcott/chamberlain/podolski/campbell but not Gnabry.

Other fans seems fine with that, they don’t get why i was so angry, they don’t rate him because of his injury. But what I saw is that every time he was on the pitch, he produced something smart and intelligent.

It’s just like how I see van persie. Some people said Van Persie only had good few years at Arsenal. I disagree. In his early years, whenever he was not injured, he produced some magical performance.

Just by looking at his dribbling skills, techniques and football intelligence, you know he is a world class player. Same for Gnabry, I don’t get why people will not rate a player just because he has an injury.
@MutableEarth
—————————————————————
I never rated Nketiah and willock at u23. People were hyping them and I stand by what I think. Now people have had enough of them.
@MutableEarth
—————————————————————
I believe Matt Smith and Hutchinson will become good players. Let’s see what is going to happen in the future.
@MutableEarth
—————————————————————
Jeff and Burton are the two I expected them to stay for longer. Maybe I’ve got it wrong for these two, but for most of the time, I’ve been pretty accurate.
@MutableEarth

Last edited:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Worried if Dundalk doesn't count as "the right moment"

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Does not bold well for the boy and Arsenal minutes @MutableEarth....

Needs to go on loan come January.
It does not. Maybe Nelson didn't help his cause by showing grit and deciding to fight for a place. A safer move would have been to jump at a loan. Credit to him for wanting to fight for a place and show his mettle in training but he didnt do himself any favors here. He has to pull a 9/10 to sway Arteta here. He can do it but he has to start being brave in matches and not just in training.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
He really has to push for a move for the sake of his career. Those quotes sounds like the typical pr stuff you hear about players who get limited minutes.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He really has to push for a move for the sake of his career. Those quotes sounds like the typical pr stuff you hear about players who get limited minutes.
The quote afterwards is worse tbf :lol:

That's basically "I don't plan on playing him really but I like the cut of his jib so he'll get a few bleep tests every now and then this season when people get hurt".

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If I was looking at Pepe and Willian from the bench in my position I would stay and fight for my place myself. You can’t blame him for that.

Always looks more natural when he’s out wide for us too, I can’t explain it but out academy products kinda just slot in - unspectacularly mind.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Hasn't done enough with the chances that he's had in the team. AMN and Saka have broken into the England squad, whilst Nelson is getting splinters. He has himself to blame however harsh that sounds.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom