• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 241 84.3%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Don’t know what’s going on with him really, he can’t be a bad player, we’ve seen him for ASS, he was a rock at the back. Fofana who’s played even less than him at the same age is starting for Leicester. I get easing him in but not even EL or League cup matches? Getting subbed in the U23’s? It’s a sure fire way to destroy a very talented defender. Not everyone has to be Prime Baresi from the first second but he should at least get chances. This will be 2/5 contract years wasted already, what are we doing? You let him go back to France with this experience and he will never want to return.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
He has to realise he's at a big club now, he's gott to fight and work hard. He almost had the VVD in his early days feel about him. Being such a physical specimen he's probably gotten away with a lot on the tactical and positional, attitudal side.

He's young, come with a big fee and naturally an ego. So it's going to hurt what's happened but h needs to work his ass off and see th bigger picture.

Jason Jace

William saliba will play in due time,
It's not like we are lacking centre halves, we have more then enough defenders, he will play when his time comes
Mustafi, Luiz, Socratis, are leaving in the summer there will be openings next season for him to play, he still only 19
Manchester utd bought pelistrin , Diallo, they haven't played yet, chealsea bought the centre halve from lile and he went out on loan because he was young and still developing , Zouma recently started playing regularly for them

Fofana wouldn't have played if not for Leicester's defensive crisis, they had Ndidi playing centre back ffs , Fofana playing now doesn't make him better, it just means there an opportunities for him to play

You guys should just calm down

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
What we do know.

We bought this player who was rated as one of the most promising CB in world football for £30m.

He was deemed good enough to play for a mid table French team competing against the like of Mbappe and Neymar (not every week but at least some games).

He is physically ready in terms of height and strength.

His partner who was deemed inferior to him has came to the PL and has looked every bit a decent PL defender.

By all the sound bites coming from Salibas camp it is clear he wants and is ready to play. Hes training everyday and working like normal. So if he isnt in the EL squad or able to play alongside a Holding or Luiz in easy games it is crystal clear why. And that is because Arteta at this moment does not deem him good enough. Forget age, language, family problems. Gabriel is young with little English and is playing against top teams.

Unless things swing drastically in Salibas favour and Arteta starts to play him this is looking like an incredible waste of money. £30m for a player who will soon only have 3 years left on his contract and who is adding nothing to the team. Poor decisions all around.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
What we do know.

We bought this player who was rated as one of the most promising CB in world football for £30m.

He was deemed good enough to play for a mid table French team competing against the like of Mbappe and Neymar (not every week but at least some games).

His partner who was deemed inferior to him has came to the PL and has looked every bit a decent PL defender.

By all the sound bites coming from Salibas camp it is clear he wants and is ready to play. Hes training everyday and working like normal. So if he isnt in the EL squad or able to play alongside a Holding or Luiz in easy games it is crystal clear why. And that is because Arteta at this moment does not deem him good enough. Forget age, language, family problems. Gabriel is young with little English and is playing against top teams.

Unless things swing drastically in Salibas favour and Arteta starts to play him this is looking like an incredible waste of money. £30m for a player who will soon only have 3 years left on his contract and who is adding nothing to the team. Poor decisions all around.

I think we are paying £5M a year. Sit down.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

What we do know.

I think it's clear Arteta doesn't rate him now unless there's a very plausible scenario that none of us have thought of. This is not the first but the second leak that implies Saliba wants to play.

Fofana doing well at Leicester is what has made this tricky for the club. We were all satisified with Arteta being cautious with him but seeing the unanimously lesser rated player playing well for Leicester has raised a lot of questions.

Has Saliba inexplicably gotten so bad that he can't play against frickin Dundalk or is Arteta being too cautious here? Not sure what he meant when he said he feels sorry for Saliba.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I think people looking to hard into the Europa league omission, it makes no sense to include a player with one foot out the door - but I am a broken record at this point.

The rest of it is weird though, he's not even named on benches in domestic fixtures.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I think we are paying £5M a year. Sit down.
It still adds up to £30m, I don't understand this point. Sure the impact on annual cashflow is limited, but it's still significant money.

It feels like we're really wasting this asset. Need to see him play in an Arsenal shirt.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Maybe he just needs a lot of work before he is ready to play for the first team...has anyone watched him for the reserves?

He's only 19 anyway, plenty of time for him to make it here.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It still adds up to £30m, I don't understand this point. Sure the impact on annual cashflow is limited, but it's still significant money.

It feels like we're really wasting this asset. Need to see him play in an Arsenal shirt.

He still has a high value. Fairly sure the costing is completely irrelevant at this juncture

roz

Fake News Merchant
He still has a high value. Fairly sure the costing is completely irrelevant at this juncture
Still has value? When players join us their value decreases.

Probably end up on loan for the next few years before leaving on a free at the age of 31

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Mustafi, Luiz and Sokratis are all gone in the Summer. Mari, Holding and Chambers are all injury prone.

You may remember Wenger making a similarly boneheaded move with Diarra who ended up leaving for Portsmouth in January despite us knowing Flamini and Gilberto were in their final season.

We’ve had well over a year to get our plans aligned with Saliba. We tracked him for a long time prior to that.

I refuse to believe that he couldn’t have made a few substitute appearances in first team games within an already defensive minded set up.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Was this guy signed by Emery or Arteta? If this bloke was signed by Emery this may mean he's not rated by Arteta unfortunately.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Was this guy signed by Emery or Arteta? If this bloke was signed by Emery this may mean he's not rated by Arteta unfortunately.
Probably neither, but he was signed in the summer when Emery was still here.

Brett

I think Arteta is very old school in certain aspects. He wants his say and authority to prevail, he won't mind letting go good players (Özil); or Like in Saliba's case not play even new buys if he feels they are not ready.

There is a ruthlessness in him, which I love and is so SAF like. If you don't listen to Teta then it's TaTa

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
“I explained that he needed that transition year when we decided to buy him and send him on loan to Saint-Etienne, for many reasons that didn’t happen, he didn’t have that transition year and he needs to go through that.

“At the moment, with the amount of central defenders that we have in the team we had to leave him out of the squad which is painful because we have some injuries and we could have used him, but it’s part of this profession.”

I honestly don't get what he means with this.. What exactly does he need to go through in this transition year? Surely the Europa and cup games would have been ideal for him to get acclimatised to our team. Even with my really low expectation for him this season, this is weird.

Top Bottom