• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 241 84.3%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He’s clearly stinking it up in training and reserves but it seems people need to hear/see it lol.

Prodigious talent or physically ready (like Gabriel who’s built like a tank) you get shoehorned in or atleast be much closer to the bench, where as this guy is hidden or being sent on loan straight away.

Mustafi off the back of a long term injury is ahead of him.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Saliba's management is arteta's first big mistake as a manager IMO.

I don't understand how mustafi can be picked ahead of him as our bench DC.
He's been terrible most of the time here, and his contract ends at the end of the year. Why didn't he give mustafi's playing time to Saliba as a backup? I'd rather give it to Willy, even if it means he might be average or mediocre at first. He can only get better with time. We should have developped him instead of wasting time with Mustafi.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
There must be something Arteta coaching stuff seeing that we not see it'll be risky to throw player if he not ready it'll make it worse also Holding Luiz Gabriel seem in very good form so we can't drop them. it was a mistake to not include him in europa squad any way January is coming so a 6 months loan to france will do him well

Macho

Dusted 🔻

If you really investigate the results (preseason and reserves) that Saliba has been involved in - it actually doesn't make for good reading. No eye test though, they have all been behind closed doors.

I'm speculating here though, I genuinely have nothing. All my regular sources that I read and podcasts I listen to are collectively stumped.

I am going to trust Arteta that there is a good reason either from himself or above to his lack of involvement.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I honestly don't get what he means with this.. What exactly does he need to go through in this transition year? Surely the Europa and cup games would have been ideal for him to get acclimatised to our team. Even with my really low expectation for him this season, this is weird.

I'm with you on this. Comments like that make it look like the boy hasn't played a single game in a men's game or a top league before.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Can't get my head around this.

The manager must really favour caution? or he's being instructed to put the likes of Mustafi in the shop window? This is all in the context of the Europa group stages btw. I wouldn't like it but I'd understand him going with Musatfi over Saliba in the PL.

Jason Jace

Can people just drop this him not playing in Europa league agenda

He was not picked because he was going out on loan which unfortunately didn't happen

And besides He is not an homegrown player so there was really no space him, even Özil and Socratis didn't make squad

The five keepers we picked 2 were necessary Leno and Runarsson, the remaining ones were homegrown players, saliba or Özil could not have taken their place

The only person he could have replaced in the squad was maybe pablo Mari but thinking was that mari will return in November and will use the Europa leaugue to gain match fitness but unfortunately there was a setback in his return from injury

Like I said Earlier , Saliba will play in due time there is no need to fret, we have only played 7games in the leaugue and 2 in the leaugue cup, there is a long season ahead

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
If you really investigate the results (preseason and reserves) that Saliba has been involved in - it actually doesn't make for good reading. No eye test though, they have all been behind closed doors.

I'm speculating here though, I genuinely have nothing. All my regular sources that I read and podcasts I listen to are collectively stumped.

I am going to trust Arteta that there is a good reason either from himself or above to his lack of involvement.

Think you figured it out already tbh, he most likely isn't reaching the physical standards or playing up to what Arteta wants. I feel like the family bereavement has effected him more than we'd know even if news is coming out he wants to play. As you said getting subbed in an U23 is a sign.

However, I just don't see how someone who was starting for St Etienne is not ready yet. It must be his personal issues that set him back, if he did lose his Mother I cut him all the slack because I couldn't handle that myself but going from St Etienne regular to U23 can't be good for his development.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

However, I just don't see how someone who was starting for St Etienne is not ready yet. It must be his personal issues that set him back, if he did lose his Mother I cut him all the slack because I couldn't handle that myself but going from St Etienne regular to U23 can't be good for his development.
It's not and if step away from my Arsenal PR shill role, even I can admit Arteta's excuses actually aren't good enough.

I can only guess Arteta is trying to protect him or there is something he can't say. The fixture pile up means we may see him around Christmas anyways.

Moah

How does not playing help a professional footballer in the grieving process? I mean shouldn't playing games and going about his routine more helpful than dueling on sadness? I wonder.

Him asking to play and Arteta not selecting him makes me think its more about how Arteta sees the player, not his grieving, that are putting him off the 'limelight'.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Why do you guys need anything spelled out you? He’s not involve because he is obviously crap. Do you want Arteta do an interview and say “I can’t pick him because he looks ****”. I told you guys weeks ago, he’s not playing because he’s crap, other wise Arteta would have used him.

You keep taking about Mustafi, shouldn’t that tell you everything? An injured Mustafi got used before he him? He is clear not ready.

Moleque

Why do you guys need anything spelled out you? He’s not involve because he is obviously crap. Do you want Arteta do an interview and say “I can’t pick him because he looks ****”. I told you guys weeks ago, he’s not playing because he’s crap, other wise Arteta would have used him.

You keep taking about Mustafi, shouldn’t that tell you everything? An injured Mustafi got used before he him? He is clear not ready.
but AM prefers a conspiracy theory

GDeep™

League is very weak
His obviously stinking the place out and Arteta is protecting him. Imagine your club who have a crap squad as it is wanting to send you back to France? You must ****.

You don’t send top players back to France. You guys can keep your conspiracy theories to yourself too.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Also, don’t make me keep repeating my self. I take no joy in attacking a young player like, as we all know nobody has backed young player more more than me on here.

Tumblin'Dice

Hates Reddit

The same Mustafi we just offered a new contract to.It says more about the decision makers than it says about Saliba (whatever his current level).

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He’s clearly stinking it up in training and reserves but it seems people need to hear/see it lol.

Prodigious talent or physically ready (like Gabriel who’s built like a tank) you get shoehorned in or atleast be much closer to the bench, where as this guy is hidden or being sent on loan straight away.

Some people just don’t want to accept it and expect arteta to come out and say it. It’s been obvious for anyone who knows football he is simply not rated by the manager. Even the way Arteta talks about him is so clear he don’t rate him

akhil

His obviously stinking the place out and Arteta is protecting him. Imagine your club who have a crap squad as it is wanting to send you back to France? You must ****.

You don’t send top players back to France. You guys can keep your conspiracy theories to yourself too.

He played under Claude Puel at St. Etienne who's a very experienced manager and has generally been raved about by people who actually watched him.

Suspect this is more a case of Arteta not wanting to use 2 rookie CBs.
Gabriel's only a little more experienced than him and that's mostly down to injuries. They both made their breakthrough about the same time. The Europa league squad is the weird one, they could have put him in and dropped Mari or Mustafi.

All over the first 11, Arteta's sticking with the experienced players even if there's no upside long term. Even the bench is packed with functional players most games.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I still think Saliba will play PL this season. Before the season started I didn't expect to see him play PL before Jan 2021. For me nothing has changed. He is one of the best young CB's around, at every level people in the game have raved about him. That doesn't change just because he hasn't played for us yet.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It's not and if step away from my Arsenal PR shill role, even I can admit Arteta's excuses actually aren't good enough.

I can only guess Arteta is trying to protect him or there is something he can't say. The fixture pile up means we may see him around Christmas anyways.

The mad thing is as well that if you look at his CB partner at St Etienne who was also a teenager he’s taken like a duck to water at Leicester and has been immense in recent weeks.

Unless it’s the case where we’ve done a Hazard and Gervinho mix up and bought the wrong one I’m clueless as well.

Frustrating seeing Fofana being so good and Saliba being a non entity.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom