• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Little too much is being made of Saka inclusion because of injuries. He was good when called upon in an unfamiliar position so kept the place.

Nelson had a similar opportunity under Wenger but didn’t take it.

novar

Yeah, that's nothing more than wishful thinking and usually appears when you know deep down the player is nowhere near the level required

From what I see Nelson might be a bottom half PL player at best. We look like a bottom half PL team at the moment so who knows if that means he'll make it here.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
I agree with the need to give Nelson more minutes. In fact he turned a sort of corner last year against Liverpool and has been giving above average performances since then. He deserves an extended run out more than Willian.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Irrespective of how serious his injury is, Saka needs a rest. Hopefully that means Arteta gives Nelson the chance to build a run from the left-wing.

He has looked sharp recently. In particular, he has gone up a level physically, which has given him the confidence to bring back some directness to his game.

Yea it's prob best to start Nelson with Saka used as a sub. Hopefully Nelson gets a lot of opportunities to get on the ball and do his thing.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Only Molde but Nelson getting his swag back hope he can replicate this in the league....

Don't understand why he refused to show his skills in his previous appearances. That's why he looks so average in the past.
Now he has to apply his skills with more purpose. To improve his decision making.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
It's a confidence issue, as the notion of a footballer refusing to express their talent is ridiculous.
The younger wilshere and Ramsey were technical players, their playing style were more like xavi/iniesta. However, at some point they decided to become gerrard/lampard and stop developing their technical abilities.

Let's play Aubamawang

I know he got an assist from a corner, but I can't, for the life of me, work out how Willian is still starting ahead of Nelson after recent performances and I would have let young Saka recover a bit more too.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I know he got an assist from a corner, but I can't, for the life of me, work out how Willian is still starting ahead of Nelson after recent performances and I would have let young Saka recover a bit more too.
To be fair, he played 90 on Thursday and Willian was OK today - wasn't one of our worst players.

Nelson did OK when he came on but he was really quite isolated for a good chunk of his cameo, all he seemed to be instructed to do was run at Wolves' left hand side and spam crosses along with Bellerin. Same with Saka and Tierney. What should have happened was Nelson on the opposite wing with Saka RW OR, they should have just taken off one of the midfielders Willock or Ceballos and put one of Saka, Nelson and Willian as the #10.

Should have done a bit better with his chance, but was unlucky it came to him on the bounce. Just sliced at it a little bit when he needed a bit more composure.

Let's play Aubamawang

To be fair, he played 90 on Thursday and Willian was OK today - wasn't one of our worst players.

Nelson did OK when he came on but he was really quite isolated for a good chunk of his cameo, all he seemed to be instructed to do was run at Wolves' left hand side and spam crosses along with Bellerin. Same with Saka and Tierney. What should have happened was Nelson on the opposite wing with Saka RW OR, they should have just taken off one of the midfielders Willock or Ceballos and put one of Saka, Nelson and Willian as the #10.

Should have done a bit better with his chance, but was unlucky it came to him on the bounce. Just sliced at it a little bit when he needed a bit more composure.
I do feel like Arteta is making life more difficult for Nelson by playing him on the right. Clearly he's better on the left cutting in or roaming the middle so why force him to play as a traditional winger?

There's a reason his crosses are more accurate from the left. He can create space with his skills whilst seeing where the runners are and place it on them rather well. Coming down the right it's hard to see who or where you're aiming at. Inverted wingers make much more sense and force defenders to think.

I know Saka had to play out of position to get his chance, but at least it was still attacking from the left which seems to suit him. But like you said, he could prove more dangerous cutting in from the right, especially with Auba so isolated.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I do feel like Arteta is making life more difficult for Nelson by playing him on the right. Clearly he's better on the left cutting in or roaming the middle so why force him to play as a traditional winger?

There's a reason his crosses are more accurate from the left. He can create space with his skills whilst seeing where the runners are and place it on them rather well. Coming down the right it's hard to see who or where you're aiming at. Inverted wingers make much more sense and force defenders to think.

I know Saka had to play out of position to get his chance, but at least it was still attacking from the left which seems to suit him. But like you said, he could prove more dangerous cutting in from the right, especially with Auba so isolated.
I think the good thing about playing RW is it does force him to be a bit more direct, particularly when he was lacking confidence, but that doesn't seem to be much of a problem now. LW is where all 3 of his good performances so far have been (save for a small chunk on the right vs Dundalk).

I just think if there was more players that suited the style then it would have been OK, but to have both Saka and Nelson crossing to nobody except Auba alone was a bit annoying.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I think the good thing about playing RW is it does force him to be a bit more direct, particularly when he was lacking confidence, but that doesn't seem to be much of a problem now. LW is where all 3 of his good performances so far have been (save for a small chunk on the right vs Dundalk).

I just think if there was more players that suited the style then it would have been OK, but to have both Saka and Nelson crossing to nobody except Auba alone was a bit annoying.
Don't know why Willock was played on the left when it could easily have been Nelson. Willock did well with his application and drive but he doesn't have Nelson's burst of pace or the Nelson's ability to combine with other players with quick interchanges.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
I don’t think he has enough in his locker to be a top PL player. Hope he proves me wrong but I don’t think he will ever be good enough.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I thought he was just OK today, funny to see the positive reaction by quite a few on Twitter - a tad unexpected. Showed his combination play and laid on some very good chances (even got an assist from a CORNER :lol:). I would have liked to see him play from the left, I don't really feel like he gets enough box presence from the right currently nor does he beat his man on the outside very often compared to going inside. I also would have liked to see him get a goal or shoot more but didn't seem to get in those kind of positions. Glad he laid on some good chances though.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

His dead ball is so bad :lol:

He was ok otherwise. I dunno, I want him to take these chances he just never does enough for me you know.

Can’t see why he doesn’t start over Willian once in a blue though I have to admit.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom