• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I’ve never been a fan of Xhaka I can’t even lie. Makes me smile a bit seeing him get buried, I’ve been slagged off in here typing out my two pence about him in the past.

He’s not as bad as people would have you believe though, I have to admit.

This version of Xhaka we now see is the consequence of all the mistakes and trauma he’s experienced during his time at the club. Plays it super safe now and is allergic to forward passing. Reckon it’s his last season here anyways. To be fair to him, his job before was passing it to Özil or something, he doesn’t have that anymore.
Trauma? What traumatic experiences did Xhaka face at his time at Arsenal? The Crystal Palace incident? It was embarrassing and humiliating for everyone involved but trauma inducing? If it were that traumatic he would have left but he knew that it doesn’t get any better than Arsenal. I mean what were his options? Newcastle and Hertha Berlin.

Come on man. Xhaka didn’t suffer from any traumatic injuries like Ramsey or Eduardo. He didn’t see his teammates get shot at while on international duty like Adebayor. He didn’t have the media try and damage his character like Sterling? What trauma did he face? If anything, Xhaka’s one of the luckiest people in Arsenal. He’s given chance after chance despite failing, he gets a new contract for no real reason, he gets the captaincy because the club had no other choices, and he has a cult following that will defend his every game no matter how poor he was.

Nothing traumatic happened to Xhaka, he has simply regressed as a footballer and many are now seeing him for what he is. I am not taking this out on you cos I know you’re opinions are fair but it does annoy me how Xhaka gets a pity party.

David_Smith

Trauma? What traumatic experiences did Xhaka face at his time at Arsenal? The Crystal Palace incident? It was embarrassing and humiliating for everyone involved but trauma inducing? If it were that traumatic he would have left but he knew that it doesn’t get any better than Arsenal. I mean what were his options? Newcastle and Hertha Berlin.

Come on man. Xhaka didn’t suffer from any traumatic injuries like Ramsey or Eduardo. He didn’t see his teammates get shot at while on international duty like Adebayor. He didn’t have the media try and damage his character like Sterling? What trauma did he face? If anything, Xhaka’s one of the luckiest people in Arsenal. He’s given chance after chance despite failing, he gets a new contract for no real reason, he gets the captaincy because the club had no other choices, and he has a cult following that will defend his every game no matter how poor he was.

Nothing traumatic happened to Xhaka, he has simply regressed as a footballer and many are now seeing him for what he is. I am not taking this out on you cos I know you’re opinions are fair but it does annoy me how Xhaka gets a pity party.

Take this back. Abuse is traumatic in itself. Defending abuse is not nice man. Please educate yourself on mental health. We are all human.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Take this back. Abuse is traumatic in itself. Defending abuse is not nice man. Please educate yourself on mental health. We are all human.
I apologise for offending anyone but I still think Xhaka has had it better than most.
The online death threats were abhorrent and he rightly called it out but him getting booed is not abuse. Celebrities or public figures get booed or shown discontent all the time.

David_Smith

I apologise for offending anyone but I still think Xhaka has had it better than most.
The online death threats were abhorrent and he rightly called it out but him getting booed is not abuse. Celebrities or public figures get booed or shown discontent all the time.

Just because some are subjected to it on a usual occurrence does not in any way make it ok. It's also not good to compare abuse or trauma on a scale as everyone is affected differently by their experiences.
Criticise if you want, but please don't make excuses for abuse.

Jack Russell

mgdUMxs.png
I didn’t give you enough credit lad. Was a long time ago now. Dok knew!

mpower2540

The guy is just phoning it in at this point, he knows he’s being replaced by Partey so he just does the minimum required.

His last two performances especially have been truly awful, also his MF partner has been completely useless. Is there a slower pair in the league?? If Wolves were more ambitious they could’ve battered us and the fact that they backed off and we still couldn’t muster a proper chance is really damning.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I’ve never been a fan of Xhaka I can’t even lie. Makes me smile a bit seeing him get buried, I’ve been slagged off in here typing out my two pence about him in the past.

He’s not as bad as people would have you believe though, I have to admit.

This version of Xhaka we now see is the consequence of all the mistakes and trauma he’s experienced during his time at the club. Plays it super safe now and is allergic to forward passing. Reckon it’s his last season here anyways. To be fair to him, his job before was passing it to Özil or something, he doesn’t have that anymore.
Wait. Are you saying that he was a good player and became bad recently? None of the statistics support that. If I remember correctly, he was as bad when he joined. He made mistakes that led to goal even in his first season here. People were more than willing to excuse him because it was his first season. I was one of the people who wanted to give him some time to settle down in the premier league.
The only difference before and after the CP incident is that before the incident, he would try to do make an attacking pass or try to tackle someone in the penalty box and either give the ball away cheaply or give away a penalty. After the incident, he stopped doing both. Result is that we are have a wooden log that jogs across the pitch in the name of a player. Truth is he is not good at attack or defense and PL is just not the place for him.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Wait. Are you saying that he was a good player and became bad recently? None of the statistics support that. If I remember correctly, he was as bad when he joined. He made mistakes that led to goal even in his first season here. People were more than willing to excuse him because it was his first season. I was one of the people who wanted to give him some time to settle down in the premier league.
The only difference before and after the CP incident is that before the incident, he would try to do make an attacking pass or try to tackle someone in the penalty box and either give the ball away cheaply or give away a penalty. After the incident, he stopped doing both. Result is that we are have a wooden log that jogs across the pitch in the name of a player. Truth is he is not good at attack or defense and PL is just not the place for him.
Nah just saying his game has changed slightly, his journey at Arsenal has been interesting. He was certainly more adventurous with the passing when he showed up. Took more pot shots from range too.

Now he’s more cautious with the ball in possession and never takes shots anymore. These are both things coaches would love, but fans prob hate it.

Me I’ve said many times I don’t rate and he’s average but the bashing in here is ridiculous tbh. I’ve wanted him out for years but even I’m bored of people pretending he’s the worst midfielder in the league.

Now that he’s clearly 3rd or 4th choice depending on where you see Ceballos I’m a lot more relaxed about him.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Nah just saying his game has changed slightly, his journey at Arsenal has been interesting. He was certainly more adventurous with the passing when he showed up. Took more pot shots from range too.

Now he’s more cautious with the ball in possession and never takes shots anymore. These are both things coaches would love, but fans prob hate it.

Me I’ve said many times I don’t rate and he’s average but the bashing in here is ridiculous tbh. I’ve wanted him out for years but even I’m bored of people pretending he’s the worst midfielder in the league.

Now that he’s clearly 3rd or 4th choice depending on where you see Ceballos I’m a lot more relaxed about him.
Which of the top 10 PL teams from last season would take Xhaka ahead of any of their own midfielders? By now, all the teams know that the skills he supposedly has are of no use in the PL. That's the reason why only Hertha Berlin was interested in him.

I get that it is the management's fault we are being forced to start him as our recruitment in this area has been poor. But if we take that route, it can be used as an excuse for every player.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

The worst thing for me is the way he'll dally on the ball for an age when there are passing options available. Realise he's getting closed down by the opposition. Randomly decide he's going to try to pirouette or dribble his way out of trouble. Then realises he has no physical attributes whatsoever and throws himself on the floor when the opposition player gets within touching distance of him :lol:

It happens multiple times every game. Even as Arsenal fans it's embarrassing to see him con the refs in that way.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Which of the top 10 PL teams from last season would take Xhaka ahead of any of their own midfielders?
Too easy.

Liverpool
Man City
Man Utd
Chelsea
Leicester City
Sp**s
Wolves
Arsenal
Sheffield Utd
Burnley

Had you said he doesn't get into top 4 you might have had a point but even then, he's done it.

Utd if you say he doesn't get in before Fernandes and VDB came then you're bluffing. McTominey, Fred and Matic none of you would be happy with and would have similar complaints.

Sp**s, Dier played in midfield and has been converted to CB. None of you would rate Sissoko, he was slagged off by Sp**s for ages until last season.

Liverpool, Fabinho aside I don't rate any of them especially. One of them is one of our former players anyways - you all know how that went. You guys would moan about Henderson as well.

Sheffield Utd and Burnley go without saying.

To answer your question, he gets in half of last seasons top 10. Even more if you talk about bench, which he now does for us. He's average, get over it.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Too easy.

Liverpool
Man City
Man Utd
Chelsea
Leicester City
Sp**s
Wolves
Arsenal
Sheffield Utd
Burnley

Had you said he doesn't get into top 4 you might have had a point but even then, he's done it.

Utd if you say he doesn't get in before Fernandes and VDB came then you're bluffing. McTominey, Fred and Matic none of you would be happy with and would have similar complaints.

Sp**s, Dier played in midfield and has been converted to CB. None of you would rate Sissoko, he was slagged off by Sp**s for ages until last season.

Liverpool, Fabinho aside I don't rate any of them especially. One of them is one of our former players anyways - you all know how that went. You guys would moan about Henderson as well.

To answer your question, he gets in half of last seasons top 10. Even more if you talk about bench, which he now does for us. He's average, get over it.
I am talking about playing 11. Who do you think he will replace in Liverpool and Chelsea? Even Jorginho has better stats than Xhaka. He was benched by Elneny at Arsenal. Wolves midfielders just had Xhaka for dinner last week. He is an average player outside the league. Within PL, he is below average. There is a reason why it was only Hertha Berlin that came for him. The whole idea that Pep wanted him in his team, Mourinho liked him so much are all based assumptions from all the sweet talk by managers in press. We didn't even ask for much money when we planned to sell him. Anyone who really liked him would have bid for him. But no one did.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I am talking about playing 11. Who do you think he will replace in Liverpool and Chelsea? Even Jorginho has better stats than Xhaka. He was benched by Elneny at Arsenal. Wolves midfielders just had Xhaka for dinner last week. He is an average player outside the league. Within PL, he is below average. There is a reason why it was only Hertha Berlin that came for him. The whole idea that Pep wanted him in his team, Mourinho liked him so much are all based assumptions from all the sweet talk by managers in press. We didn't even ask for much money when we planned to sell him. Anyone who really liked him would have bid for him. But no one did.
You asked me which of the top 10 he gets into and I told you as clearly as I could, at least half. Even more if we're talking overall squad.

I didn't even bring up the Pep thing nor did I mention Leicester and Wolves who I think have better deep lying midfielders in their first 11.

A lot of the top 10's midfield wouldn't help us much and in comparison, he is not as bad as some of you make out - which is my point.

I'm wasting my time though plus it's probably his last season here anyways.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
You asked me which of the top 10 he gets into and I told you as clearly as I could, at least half. Even more if we're talking overall squad.

I didn't even bring up the Pep thing nor did I mention Leicester and Wolves who I think have better deep lying midfielders in their first 11.

A lot of the top 10's midfield wouldn't help us much and in comparison, he is not as bad as some of you make out - which is my point.

I'm wasting my time though plus it's probably his last season here anyways.
My bad. I misread a part of your post.
I asked about PL team. Squad is a different question altogether. If he will get into a team, he must obviously replace an existing player in the playing 11. All the players you mentioned in United, Sp**s etc. have weaknesses. But they all have clear strengths that can be used by managers. Mostly they are like poor in attack but make up for it really well by defense or it is the other way around. There is no single skill that Xhaka is extraordinarily good at which gives a reason for teams to hold on to him. And did we ever dominate the midfield when playing against the teams which supposedly have poorer players than Xhaka? I don't even remember a match where we showed midfield dominance ever since Xhaka came - One of the reasons we moved to back 3 during Wenger times itself.

If he was really better than other players as you say, teams would have been fighting for him. Why would anyone not buy a player who has been already playing in PL for so many years, is also better than one of their starters and is also available for cheap? Isn't it a no-brainer to bid for him?

Kav

Established Member
Too easy.

Liverpool
Man City
Man Utd
Chelsea
Leicester City
Sp**s
Wolves
Arsenal
Sheffield Utd
Burnley

Surely you must be having a laugh. No way Xhaka gets into Klopp’s starting eleven ahead of Fabinho, Winaldjum or Henderson.

Chelsea won’t have in ahead of Kante nor Kovacic nor Mount.

He wouldn’t even make the Man City Bench.

Tottenham wouldn’t want him as he doesn’t have the legs for Mohrinho’s game. Either way he still wouldn’t make it ahead of their midfielders.

He could get into Man U ahead of Mctominay but Fred is a better midfielder than him and obviously pogba and Fernandes are too.

He’s also too slow and immobile to get into Leicester’s midfield.

On the evidence of the last game he couldn’t make wolves bench much less.

Stop trolling man. Xhaka is just not good enough at the top level. Unfortunately he is one of the main reasons we have regressed. He’s a mediocre player. One of they truly poor decisions Wenger made along with Mustafi in terms of recruitment near the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom