• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I'm an Emi stan but Leno has taken his game to another level this season, fair play. It would be easy for him to coast when Hydro's nephew is backing him up ffs.

NZgunner

Leno is an average goalkeeper.

His biggest problem is that he can't command the 6 yard box and his defenders don't know what he's going to be able to deal with decisively when balls are whipped in. Unfortunately this is mostly down to physicality - he isn't tall enough or strong enough, and those things won't change.

His other problem is that he often 'saves' by parrying straight back out - and then it's a coin toss as to who latches onto the rebound.

He can make good saves, but every EPL keeper does, and small keepers always look more athletic because they have to throw themselves around a lot more instead of just sticking out an arm or leg.

While he's not the biggest problem in the squad, I think GK is one of the positions we need to fill better in the short/medium term before we can even start thinking of ourselves as top 4 contenders.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

While he's not the biggest problem in the squad, I think GK is one of the positions we need to fill better in the short/medium term before we can even start thinking of ourselves as top 4 contenders.
Think this is pretty far off base. We have squad issues but Leno isn't one of them. We need a better back up keeper that is one hole we need to fill. Leno is good enough for top 4.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

His biggest problem is that he can't command the 6 yard box and his defenders don't know what he's going to be able to deal with decisively when balls are whipped in. Unfortunately this is mostly down to physicality - he isn't tall enough or strong enough, and those things won't change.

His other problem is that he often 'saves' by parrying straight back out - and then it's a coin toss as to who latches onto the rebound.

He can make good saves, but every EPL keeper does, and small keepers always look more athletic because they have to throw themselves around a lot more instead of just sticking out an arm or leg.

Leno is that last player I'll look to upgrade tbh. Goalkeeping is not an area of pressing need for us atm

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
One of the major things i hated about Leno was how long it took him to distribute the ball, Sometimes he can take a lifetime to find someone and it just slows our play down too much. He's improved more recently on it though. Solid today.
One of those things you don't notice when it's done well but you're right it's certainly improved with him. We have so many little individual things that add together to create an incredibly slow build up (Xhaka with the turning speed of a tank, Luiz dribbling the ball forwards whilst looking for an out ball) it's good Leno's speeding up his distribution.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I've been critical of him but his command of his box and distribution abd footwork have improved this season. That triple save from Carroll was awesome and it's match winning contributions like that that build a GK's aura. I'm trusting him more for sure.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member

Have you been watching games recently? He's clearly improving that area of his game and his distribution. Players can improve you know. Why do people think a player is going to stay at the same level we bought them?

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I think people are making a meal out of that save tbh, Carroll kicked it right at him lol he did a good job closing the same though I give him that.

Jason Jace

I don't really know what you are talking about,
Leno is one of the best goalkeepers in the prem league, he can do almost everything you want see from a top keeper to a reasonably high standered
Did you see Anthony martial goal against goal against villa, it was a direct ball straight at Emil but for some reason Emil moves aways from the ball and threw himself to the ground, if that that Leno, this forum will be loosing their ****

Leno is a Top, Top keeper and if you don't think so you might want to consider a different sport

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Did you see Anthony martial goal against goal against villa, it was a direct ball straight at Emil but for some reason Emil moves aways from the ball and threw himself to the ground, if that that Leno, this forum will be loosing their ****

There wasn't even any deflection for him to be deceived like that. When people start to criticise Leno for pushing a shot fired at him from almost point blank into the danger area (at the Etihad), as apparently Emi would never have....erm..Emi actually did, he pushed a tame shot against Leeds back into the middle and conceded a goal. But apparently Emi would never...

Leno conceded a goal against Wolves that took a significant deflection off Bellerin...got pelters for it...Emi would never...except he made even a bigger blunder against Brighton but luckily for him it got disallowed. But let's be honest, Emi would never...

I think we can safely say now that even the real Emi can't compete with the AM Emi. He has become like your first love or a girl you were in love with for many years, somehow the relationship deteriorated, you had the chance the keep her if you really wanted it but decided to end it. Now years later and after several unsuccessful relationships you start to look back at that relationship as the "one". You only remember the good bits, not the arguments or little things she used to do that annoyed you. You only remember how good she made you feel, the intensity of it. You are thinking of them all the time. You start to see their face in a crowd. You hear a song and think of them. If someone mentions them you will feel a rush through your body and start to wonder what they are doing at this exact time. They pop into your head so many times during the day. Somehow the answer to every question is them. They're someone you simply can't get enough of. No one else will do. :lol: sorry got carried away in this paragraph but felt this is the only way to make sense of the Emi worship in here.

Leno will make mistakes like all GK's but overall he has been very good. There are some areas he still needs to improve on but people are kidding themselves if they think upgrading Leno will be anything but an extremely hard task to accomplish not to mention very, very expensive one.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Leno was probably our best player last season pre injury. He's certainly stepped up his game this season. Much more commanding of his box, more clinical in coming to claim crosses.

I think people forget he's only 28, the same age as Martinez incidentally. He's still young in terms of a goalkeeper. He probably won't be hitting his peak for another 4 years.

If we're being honest, most of the crap he gets is because he isn't Emi.

He's a good enough goalkeeper currently to fit into the top 4 team that we want to be, he'll improve too.

We should be set at number 1 for 7-8 years. Bringing in an acceptable level back up is imperative though.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Watching an old Lehmann and Merson bit on Sky, mainly discussing Leno, around the time we signed him.

Leno was in the Stuttgart youth team when Jens went there after leaving us (good to see 2 Arsenal dons sort of linking up!) Jens said that when he trained with the first team he impressed him ( Bernd can thank his lucky starts he wasn't competing with him at the time, as Mad Jens would have went straight for the jugular to stay number 1 :lol: ) he mainly gave Leno his backing though.

Paul was all over the place really...said Petr Cech shouldn't be worried about losing his place to a newbie 21 year old, guess Leno looks quite young...also when talking about goalkeepers passing out more than ever now, Merson said... "Look at the cup final last year (Arsenal v City, 2018) Ederson with a beautiful long pass for Aguero to score the opener..." Ederson didn't play in that match :rofl:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom