• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxi Driver

tenor.gif

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Hes still one of the most well known players on the planet, he is absolutely massive especially in the Muslim world, just look at how many social media followers he has. The club are the ones that offered him that contract, and now they are the ones that are trying to break that agreement by forcing him out, its just a really bad look for them in my opinion.
Not sure what social media has to do with anything here or how well known he is. He is a diminished footballer that no serious club wants to touch. It happens.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I highly doubt players would sympathise with the board over a player.

It's already been reported that agents are weary of taking young talents to Arsenal because of the way the club treated Saliba and Pepe, so this might very well have an effect.
No problem getting Gabriel. Agents will go where the money tells them to go.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
No problem getting Gabriel. Agents will go where the money tells them to go.
When Gabriel joined, things were different. Arteta had just won the FA Cup and the Guendouzi/Özil situations hadn't become untenable.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Yeah don’t think people realise what a close knitted group being an elite footballer is. You come up playing with and against your peers regularly at youth level and end up becoming mates.

Then as pros most of these guys go to the same clubs, bars, restaurants and holiday destinations. They share agents and various other staff.

Beyond naive to think any footballer will be siding with management in almost any disputes.
I wonder what happens when players go on strike to force moves or are made to train alone or with the reserves? Almost seems like Liverpool have benefitted how they've dealt with players and a lot of players seem to have no problem going there at all.

Not washing with me at all this players see what happens and they decide that move isn't for them. But it sounds good to say.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

When Gabriel joined, things were different. Arteta had just won the FA Cup and the Guendouzi/Özil situations hadn't become untenable.
Maybe. It was clear to anyone who bothered to look there were problems in the background. Guendouzi had been dumped mid season and Özil kept having issues, although he did play under Arteta it was always an issue close to the surface.

I don't think it's an issue and if it is and players genuinely don't wish to play for Arsenal FC because of half a story told by their mate then I wouldn't want them at the club. By the same token of players telling their mates about poor Mesut or Guendouzi I'm sure there are others telling the other half the story in the footballing feternity.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not sure what social media has to do with anything here or how well known he is. He is a diminished footballer that no serious club wants to touch. It happens.

His massive social media following is a direct indication of how well known he is globally. I think the handling of situtuion doesn't shine the club in the best light, and on top of the handling of the Guendouzi and Saliba situations, would be a concern for players thinking of joining the club.

Ultimately I agree with you that the players go where the money is at the end of the day, but I don't think these recent situations do us any favours, put it that way.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I wonder what happens when players go on strike to force moves or are made to train alone or with the reserves? Almost seems like Liverpool have benefitted how they've dealt with players and a lot of players seem to have no problem going there at all.

Not washing with me at all this players see what happens and they decide that move isn't for them. But it sounds good to say.

Don’t think it’s unique to football it’s the same across most top level sports. These guys are keenly aware of how ruthless teams are. When they’re playing as youngsters they’ll all have had mates who the teams have kicked to the curb once they weren’t deemed good enough.

It’s a unique industry because they’re under a magnifying glass like almost no other job. They’ll see things like the club hanging Özil out to dry over the wage cuts and won’t be saying “f*ck Özil” like the fans were.

Only people who are really going to look out for footballers is other footballers at the end of the day. It’s not like our jobs where everyone’s trying to stab each other in the back every five minutes, it’s f*ck management all day every day.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Don’t think it’s unique to football it’s the same across most top level sports. These guys are keenly aware of how ruthless teams are. When they’re playing as youngsters they’ll all have had mates who the teams have kicked to the curb once they weren’t deemed good enough.

It’s a unique industry because they’re under a magnifying glass like almost no other job. They’ll see things like the club hanging Özil out to dry over the wage cuts and won’t be saying “f*ck Özil” like the fans were.

Only people who are really going to look out for footballers is other footballers at the end of the day. It’s not like our jobs where everyone’s trying to stab each other in the back every five minutes, it’s f*ck management all day every day.
I agree its a close knit circle of people. They've all played with each other as kids and progressed to professional level. With that I'm sure they've seen there is always more than one side to the story. Emery when asked about it stayed quiet but I'm sure privately he has told people the situation who've told others and there will be a good understanding of what was happening across football.

It is what it is though. I don't think it's a problem others will think it's a problem.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Maybe. It was clear to anyone who bothered to look there were problems in the background. Guendouzi had been dumped mid season and Özil kept having issues, although he did play under Arteta it was always an issue close to the surface.

I don't think it's an issue and if it is and players genuinely don't wish to play for Arsenal FC because of half a story told by their mate then I wouldn't want them at the club. By the same token of players telling their mates about poor Mesut or Guendouzi I'm sure there are others telling the other half the story in the footballing feternity.
I think you're underestimating the impact of the possibility that the club becomes viewed as a graveyard for talent. There was talk a few years ago that Mbappe would reject a move to United simply because of Mourinho.

Players don't follow other clubs as closely as fans, for most of them they'll just see a big name player like Özil being marginalised and it's natural that they'll find it strange.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

That's the era about 99% of the whole sport is in now, high pressing football with little actual skill...sigh...
Main reason I’m jealous of Liverpool and have never been of Man City. I have no interest in robotic players and robotic managers coming together to make me fall asleep. Sad times.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I agree its a close knit circle of people. They've all played with each other as kids and progressed to professional level. With that I'm sure they've seen there is always more than one side to the story. Emery when asked about it stayed quiet but I'm sure privately he has told people the situation who've told others and there will be a good understanding of what was happening across football.

It is what it is though. I don't think it's a problem others will think it's a problem.

I mean among players and agents it will be but you’re right in so much as money talks and players will inevitably join us.

@American_Gooner is right regarding the poor job the club has done protecting Guendouzi and Saliba though. If you’re an elite prospect like Saliba was and you see the fiasco with both players and how the club has behaved if you’ve got options you’re probably not putting us first anytime soon.

On MBappe he apparently gave us serious consideration due to Wenger alone and he was someone notorious for backing his players to the hilt. The club needs to look after its players more rather than just throw them under the bus for cheap PR to keep fans happy. Especially if we’re working with a smaller budget than our rivals.

Reactions: A_G

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Fwiw if anyone is of the opinion omg the reputation of the club is being destroyed going by that same logic you must also think that the reputation of Özil has been destroyed. This global superstar available on a free transfer and not one top club is willing to gamble on him at all. Consistency of logic tells me it's not Arsenal's reputation that is off putting.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I mean among players and agents it will be but you’re right in so much as money talks and players will inevitably join us.

@American_Gooner is right regarding the poor job the club has done protecting Guendouzi and Saliba though. If you’re an elite prospect like Saliba was and you see the fiasco with both players and how the club has behaved if you’ve got options you’re probably not putting us first anytime soon.

On MBappe he apparently gave us serious consideration due to Wenger alone and he was someone notorious for backing his players to the hilt. The club needs to look after its players more rather than just throw them under the bus for cheap PR to keep fans happy. Especially if we’re working with a smaller budget than our rivals.
Saliba is the concern but he is still on a long term contract. If he comes back and is outstanding then it will look like a good move.

Guendouzi had issues in his previous club and then issues at Arsenal. I can't connect the two of them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom