• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
That transfer deadline day when we signed him holds a special place in my heart. Some of my real madrid fan college classmates couldn’t believe that we were signing him when the reports started circulating. Within a few hours they were Arsenal fans:lol:(tells you all about the football fandom in my country). Back then I just started using FB regularly & Özil became my dp & cover pic ffs:rofl:
The signing was made official around 2/3 am maybe(can't recall the exact time sadly). I remember staying up till like 5:30 in the morning till the window closed in the hope of some other signing tho obviously that didn’t really happen.

Now I don't have any contact with any of those classmates & never ever will probably, don't use fb anymore obviously. That day happened what feels like a lifetime ago. No matter what he did in our shirt, I'll always be thankful to Özil for giving me such a weirdly happy day

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I think you're underestimating the impact of the possibility that the club becomes viewed as a graveyard for talent. There was talk a few years ago that Mbappe would reject a move to United simply because of Mourinho.

Players don't follow other clubs as closely as fans, for most of them they'll just see a big name player like Özil being marginalised and it's natural that they'll find it strange.
Won't they also find it strange that no other club wants Özil? Surely it cannot work both ways. He was let go easily by Madrid who had super success and his last few years in Germany aren't fondly remembered.

As for a graveyard for talent Saka flourishing, Martinelli hopefully to flourish, Tierney and Gabriel ticking along nicely. Ceballos has said he has developed due to his time here. Again surely it has to work both ways?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Saliba is the concern but he is still on a long term contract. If he comes back and is outstanding then it will look like a good move.

Guendouzi had issues in his previous club and then issues at Arsenal. I can't connect the two of them at all.

It’s just bad optics though when Saliba isn’t even registered for EL games but two defenders who were injured for the entire group stage were. Doesn’t get in the squad for any Caraboa games either.

Loaning him is the right decision but it’s a shambles whichever way you look at it. Guendouzi the problem is the way it was handled in the press with the club briefing journalists that Arteta wanted a public apology or he was done.

When we go for youngsters these days our main rivals would be Dortmund, Leipzig, Leicester and at age group level Chelsea and I reckon the real reason they stockpile youngsters is firstly unlike us they guarantee game time and also they have a great track record of protecting players.

Sancho for example apparently is a bit of a loose cannon off the pitch but Haaland and others will have seen how well the club has kept things in house and that’s the main reason they’re going there. If Arteta was managing Jadon would we have handled it as well?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

As for Özil, I was a massive fan, then he pissed me off shortly after his second contract, but then I was back on side seeing how the club treated him.

A shame how it's ended but at least its over now, best of luck to him.

Iceman10

Established Member
From the AFCBell.

If Arsenal are covering Fenerbache wages for the remainder of the season with the rest waived I wonder if that step down to Fene wages from Arsenal wages will be immediate in his Fene contract as that could be a good amount waived which would be something to credit of the player for us to note.

Reactions: A_G

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

@Rex Banter if Sancho is a loose cannon and its all kept in house how do you know about it? I've also read comments in thr past by the Dortmund manager saying Sancho needs to improve and he can't just stand about for 10 minutes and do nothing, that he needs to defend better. The scenes if Arteta said that. Oh wait I've already seen them.

Anyway, we are still a massive club. If people think a few players who have achieved nothing in the game and a global superstar with one trillion followers on Bebo which no club with ambition wants to touch will destroy or damage our reputation work away.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
A-M the only place where a £350k a week footballer who pretty much gave up on his job can be portrayed as a victim :lol:

People love throwing around the word **** for whatever reason on here. There is a clear example of cuckold mentality in our fanbase when it comes to this guy.

Some may have forgotten but we're Arsenal Football Club, one of the 10 biggest clubs in the world. Fans pretty much down on their knees thanking him for what he's done to us over the duration of this contract or even his whole time here. He was more than adequately rewarded financially for what he did here. Terrible stuff.

And before anyone starts, yeah the club gave him the contract. Arsenal fans should have a bias towards the club over any footballer though.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Won't they also find it strange that no other club wants Özil? Surely it cannot work both ways. He was let go easily by Madrid who had super success and his last few years in Germany aren't fondly remembered.

As for a graveyard for talent Saka flourishing, Martinelli hopefully to flourish, Tierney and Gabriel ticking along nicely. Ceballos has said he has developed due to his time here. Again surely it has to work both ways?
Robben, Van der Vaart, Sneijder etc were let go by Madrid as well, it didn't seem to effect how they were perceived. The Germany thing isn't a big deal either, if Hummels hadn't missed a sitter at 0-0 against SK from an Özil cross the entire narrative would be different.

As for the second paragraph, I'm not sure the rest of Europe are particularly bothered about those players apart from Saka. At least not in comparison to a household name like Özil.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
When all this is over would love to here from both the club and Özil about what really happened between March and June but the truth would probably be skewered in between anyway.

Very strange how with very little supposed cash to spare we went from playing a guy every week to then paying the same guy £350k a week to simply turn up to training every day. Surely if we where prepared to pay for him to train we could have gave him to someone this season on loan and payed all the wages ourselves, which would have avoided a lot of the distractions there have been.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I can't be bothered to say anything anymore, people will see for themselves with time.

Too many high profile signings gone wrong or ending badly really.
A legacy going back to Wenger. Cazorla and Alexis were the last two players he signed who imo made a genuine sustained impact. Maybe sacking our scouting network wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

A legacy going back to Wenger. Cazorla and Alexis were the last two players he signed who imo made a genuine sustained impact. Maybe sacking our scouting network wasn't such a bad idea after all.
Well, they mostly gone now - enjoy man :lol:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

@Rex Banter if Sancho is a loose cannon and its all kept in house how do you know about it? I've also read comments in thr past by the Dortmund manager saying Sancho needs to improve and he can't just stand about for 10 minutes and do nothing, that he needs to defend better. The scenes if Arteta said that. Oh wait I've already seen them.

Anyway, we are still a massive club. If people think a few players who have achieved nothing in the game and a global superstar with one trillion followers on Bebo which no club with ambition wants to touch will destroy or damage our reputation work away.

I don’t mean his behaviour but I mean how the club deals with it. I mean it’s not exactly a secret, he’s been a bit wild since his City days. Now in Germany he’s constantly flying back to London and partying after games and even caught Covid because he did it over Christmas.

You’re making my point in that Dortmund realise he’s an out of this world player who needs supporting publicly even if you deal with it differently in private.

With us if something happens behind the scenes journalists are aware of it after five minutes and are being briefed by club sources straight away. Players and agents definitely take note of that stuff because it f*cks with their money.

Another example is Grealish, private life is all over the shop but how often do you see Dean Smith acting the big man about punishments or Villa briefing the press. They’ve let him keep the arm band after doing much worse than anything Guendouzi or Özil have done.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Robben, Van der Vaart, Sneijder etc were let go by Madrid as well, it didn't seem to effect how they were perceived. The Germany thing isn't a big deal either, if Hummels hadn't missed a sitter at 0-0 against SK from an Özil cross the entire narrative would be different.

As for the second paragraph, I'm not sure the rest of Europe are particularly bothered about those players apart from Saka. At least not in comparison to a household name like Özil.
To me that's a contradiction. He did miss and it was a big thing that happened with Özil and Germany.

Also how can you say we might be perceived as a graveyard for talent and then dismiss players that are actually playing well. Who are the players then Europe is actively watching? A 6m signing we picked up from the French second division? Pepe who was dismissed by Bayern because he needed too much space (if anything we are showing they were right to pass on him). Saliba is the only one I can think off?

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Moving to a bigger club, Congrats.

Hopefully he will get a farewell match if the fans will be back one day.

All the best Mes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom