• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi (Out)

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,110
  • Views 308,786
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
See if more people said this i'd be fine with it, Arsenal haven't had many great CBs so Koscielny is rated on that basis. Me personally I use to hate watching him, I can't stand a weak CB.

Koscielny is like the Almunia of CBs, he was just here so long and it never made sense. We should've moved on from him but Arsène didn't care about CBs.

I see what you mean...I remember after we beat Fulham and West Ham at the start of the season, and fans were claiming that Gabriel is our best centre back since Sol.

I like Gabby, think him and Rob will be a quality partnership for us...but I found that very disrespectful, not just to Kos and Per...but mainly for Kolo Toure.

Kolo was a giant for this club, who maybe younger fans think is a banter defender due to his time at Liverpool, but for us he was a rock.

Think sometimes fans just get over excited now and then :lol:

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think players like Per are rarer and harder to find. He had physical limitations, and wasn't the best on the ball, but his leadership and reading of the game was outstanding. I feel there are more Koscielny type defenders around now than Mertesackers.

If you offered me one of those players to play in the team now, I'm taking Per every day, especially next to Gabriel.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I remember one goal when Alexis scored vs us for United in the FA Cup. There was nowhere for Lukaku to pass to but Koscielny ran right at him leaving a massive gap for Alexis to run in. He would do braindead things like that all the time but no one called him out for it. I'll never understand why fans online rate him, no one from the local area did.
His reading of the game was terrible. Mert has him beat by a mile in that regard. Take away his pace and he wouldn't have had much.

The Atletico semi first leg and Birmingham will always haunt me. 2 trophies gone right there.

Riou

I would give Kos the edge over Per, as our best CB of the Emirates era..if you include all defenders, then Sagna is the winner...Bac was the only world class defensive player to play here, since the stadium move.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I would give Kos the edge over Per, as our best CB of the Emirates era..if you include all defenders, then Sagna is the winner...Bac was the only world class defensive player to play here, since the stadium move.

Agree with this. Sagna was such a top class defender. Met him at the local milkshake shop as well once as a kid, top bloke!

Riou

Agree with this. Sagna was such a top class defender. Met him at the local milkshake shop as well once as a kid, top bloke!

An enjoyable encounter with an Arsenal player, @Rex Banter when he sees this...

article-1039172-00EC0F3100000578-438_468x361.jpg

GDeep™

League is very weak
Kos was an aggressive style CB who played here during a tough period in teams that were built on the attack. He had little or no protection. Yet he was part of teams that always got top 4 and last 16 of CL.

He came and done his job. He wasn’t signed to win titles or be our Rio/Terry, those weren’t club targets because if they were, we would’ve been spending 30M plus on defenders.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Well, relative to the centrebacks we've had strictly in Emirates era - Koscielny is up there for me anyways.

Not to say that in an impressive way, just think highlighting his mistakes only is unfair as he's had hundreds of games for us.
Absolutely. People will highlight his mistakes and there were plenty. His mistake against Atletico still haunts me, Arsène could have ended his time with a European trophy.
His positive contributions shouldn`t be forgotten either. In one of the seasons where we caught up to Sp**s and pipped them to a CL-spot, Koslcielny and Per were superb, we were winning 1-0 most of the time and hardly conceded. His goal against Newcastle in the last game (different season i think) also secured us CL-football and it was his goal that gave us extra time against Hull when we finally won a trophy again.

Iceman10

Established Member
Kos was an aggressive style CB who played here during a tough period in teams that were built on the attack. He had little or no protection. Yet he was part of teams that always got top 4 and last 16 of CL.

He came and done his job. He wasn’t signed to win titles or be our Rio/Terry, those weren’t club targets because if they were, we would’ve been spending 30M plus on defenders.

Have to remember he had around two seasons at absolute prime where top teams in Europe at the time such as Bayern Munich were very interested in him. During those two seasons he was good enough for a CL winning side, just that it was always the case of our squad being a few players short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom