• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
I’m shocked he didn’t start. He’s been excellent in the EL and he’s one of our most dangerous players. Surely we can afford to take more of a risk against Bentica come on. How does Pepe not play in our game of the season (so far) against a smaller European team?

Melquiades

Arteta really can't win here.

Yes, Pepe had a good stretch of games.

But there are only so many attacking roles in the team. Saka is undroppable. If he dropped ESR people would be losing their minds. If he didn't use Ødegaard, people would be losing their minds.

He made some shifts to get Ødegaard into the starting 11, and Pepe was dropped to shift ESR into his spot. The team scored 4 goals in their first game with this look. So they tried it again. It didn't work as well this time, and I'd think it's highly likely Pepe gets a start again against City.

This Willian stuff with Pepe is a red herring. Willian hasn't played ahead of Pepe since the Villa game on November 8 except in mop-up duty in blowouts where we were ahead by 3+ goals. Pepe is clearly well ahead of Willian in Arteta's pecking order and people claiming that Arteta has some sort of love-in with Willian over Pepe are just flat-out wrong.

We've played 23 games in all competitions since November 8 and Willian has taken 58 minutes of playing time from Pepe in blowouts vs. Newcastle/Brighton/Leeds where we were up by 3+ goals in each.

Last edited:

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Arteta really can't win here.

Yes, Pepe had a good stretch of games.

But there are only so many attacking roles in the team. Saka is undroppable. If he dropped ESR people would be losing their minds. If he didn't use Ødegaard, people would be losing their minds.

He made some shifts to get Ødegaard into the starting 11, and Pepe was dropped to shift ESR into his spot. The team scored 4 goals in their first game with this look. So they tried it again. It didn't work as well this time, and I'd think it's highly likely Pepe gets a start again against City.

This Willian stuff with Pepe is a red herring. Willian hasn't played ahead of Pepe since the Villa game on November 8 except in mop-up duty in blowouts where we were ahead by 3+ goals. Pepe is clearly well ahead of Willian in Arteta's pecking order and people claiming that Arteta has some sort of love-in with Willian over Pepe are just flat-out wrong.

We've played 23 games in all competitions since November 8 and Willian has taken 58 minutes of playing time from Pepe in blowouts vs. Newcastle/Brighton/Leeds where we were up by 3+ goals in each.

I definitely think Arteta should have subbed on Pepe and Laca by the 6oth minute. After we scored the goal to really build momentum in the attack. Auba didn't look that good from the start and ESR doesn't have great stamina, he also works so hard for the team on and off the ball. He needed to be taken off for Pepe. It's hard for a player to come in with 10 minutes left and be able to make an impact.

Melquiades

I definitely think Arteta should have subbed on Pepe and Laca by the 6oth minute. After we scored the goal to really build momentum in the attack. Auba didn't look that good from the start and ESR doesn't have great stamina, he also works so hard for the team on and off the ball. He needed to be taken off for Pepe. It's hard for a player to come in with 10 minutes left and be able to make an impact.

I don't disagree he could have come on a bit sooner in this game. That said, the team scored in like minute 58 and maybe you try to keep going with the guys who just generated a goal.

I'm just trying to say that the people who are outraged he isn't playing would also be outraged if ESR or Ødegaard weren't playing, and that Willian has taken basically zero minutes from him in the last 4 months. Pepe has played a ton since Christmas, and when he hasn't played those minutes have gone to players younger than him, except in a couple blowouts where we were up by 3+ goals.

Geofranco

I don't disagree he could have come on a bit sooner in this game. That said, the team scored in like minute 58 and maybe you try to keep going with the guys who just generated a goal.

I'm just trying to say that the people who are outraged he isn't playing would also be outraged if ESR or Ødegaard weren't playing, and that Willian has taken basically zero minutes from him in the last 4 months. Pepe has played a ton since Christmas, and when he hasn't played those minutes have gone to players younger than him, except in a couple blowouts where we were up by 3+ goals.

We need Ødegaard as we have no other player like him in the squad, so he was def going to play. I don't think people would have been outraged if ESR was dropped for this game. He has been playing a lot since December and is a player that has had injury issues and stamina issues. If anything, Pepe should have started as he would have been fresh and then bring on ESR down the stretch to finish the game out.

Melquiades

We need Ødegaard as we have no other player like him in the squad, so he was def going to play. I don't think people would have been outraged if ESR was dropped for this game. He has been playing a lot since December and is a player that has had injury issues and stamina issues. If anything, Pepe should have started as he would have been fresh and then bring on ESR down the stretch to finish the game out.

Fair enough, but ESR has basically been in the middle of everything we've done well for the last 2 months. And when he gets subbed off - including today - we tend to lose our shape and struggle.

There's a lot of stuff I'll criticize Arteta for, but playing ESR isn't one of them. The guy basically turned around our season when he came into the lineup.

And again, I suspect we'll see ESR rested for Pepe against City in a couple days. And it seems that most are somehow blaming Willian for taking Pepe's minutes, not ESR, when in fact Willian has taken basically zero minutes from Pepe in the last 4 months.

Geofranco

Fair enough, but ESR has basically been in the middle of everything we've done well for the last 2 months. And when he gets subbed off - including today - we tend to lose our shape and struggle.

There's a lot of stuff I'll criticize Arteta for, but playing ESR isn't one of them. The guy basically turned around our season when he came into the lineup.

And again, I suspect we'll see ESR rested for Pepe against City in a couple days. And it seems that most are somehow blaming Willian for taking Pepe's minutes, not ESR, when in fact Willian has taken basically zero minutes from Pepe in the last 4 months.

If Arteta can't figure out a system that doesn't include running ESR into the ground then maybe he is just not a very good manager. The club should never be a position of relying on an injury prone 20 year old to save the season. Arteta should still be on the hot sit for going nearly 2 months without winning a game and the team playing some of the most horrendous football in the league.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I’d judge Pepe more for sitting in this situation at 25 years of age than Arteta to be honest. It’s getting to the stage where he needs to put his career first cause there’s nothing for him at Arsenal.

He absolutely must be thinking about summer, the club will eat the loss cause they will back Arteta so he should just go for it and rebuild.

He got the team to the knockouts and he’s been leapfrogged by a guy on 6 month loan with no option to buy lol. That’s beyond finished he’s Willock tier.

Melquiades

If Arteta can't figure out a system that doesn't include running ESR into the ground then maybe he is just not a very good manager. The club should never be a position of relying on an injury prone 20 year old to save the season. Arteta should still be on the hot sit for going nearly 2 months without winning a game and the team playing some of the most horrendous football in the league.

I'm not a huge Arteta defender. And absolutely he needs to figure out other ways to be successful.

I'm referring specifically to the criticism he's taking. You're pretty much alone in wanting ESR to not start in this game. And a lot of people who wanted him to play in this game (go read the first 10 pages of the match thread) are also criticizing Arteta for not playing Pepe. And you can't have it both ways by somehow blaming Willian when Willian isn't taking minutes from Pepe.

Moah

I'm not a huge Arteta defender. And absolutely he needs to figure out other ways to be successful.

I'm referring specifically to the criticism he's taking. You're pretty much alone in wanting ESR to not start in this game. And a lot of people who wanted him to play in this game (go read the first 10 pages of the match thread) are also criticizing Arteta for not playing Pepe. And you can't have it both ways by somehow blaming Willian when Willian isn't taking minutes from Pepe.
He literally gave Willian 30 minutes ahead of Pepe for absolutely no reason on Sunday.
He got the team to the knockouts and he’s been leapfrogged by a guy on 6 month loan with no option to buy lol. That’s beyond finished he’s Willock tier.
That is what makes me mad about Arteta,it looks like all the attacking players he signs is an attempt to avoid Pepe.

We have two AMs, both with injury records and very important to the team, rather than using them interchangeably he manages to play them together every two days at the expense of an in form player with high resale value.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

We have two AMs, both with injury records and very important to the team, rather than using them interchangeably he manages to play them together every two days at the expense of an in form player with high resale value.
Lol I’m genuinely shocked.

That’s why I am saying he should push for a move, because even if he goes for 20 mil or something, the club will back every decision Arteta makes so it doesn’t matter. There’s no way you can tell me the club is concerned about money surely?

I’ve washed my hands off this lad anyways, cause it’s too disappointing to see him play well then get messed about. Then watch people call him crap or limited when he inevitably goes wonky.

That’s football though, it is what it is. Arsenal will move on, hopefully this lad will too if he has anything about him.

Melquiades

He literally gave Willian 30 minutes ahead of Pepe for absolutely no reason on Sunday.
That is what makes me mad about Arteta,it looks like all the attacking players he signs is an attempt to avoid Pepe.

Again, in 23 games since November 8, Willian has played 58 minutes off the bench ahead of Pepe in blowouts where we were up by 3+ goals. Basically nothing.

If the game is in doubt, Pepe is starting or coming off the bench before Willian. The only time Willian plays ahead of Pepe is in garbage time in blowouts as they try to get him a few minutes to sort himself out.

Moah

Lol I’m genuinely shocked.

That’s why I am saying he should push for a move, because even if he goes for 20 mil or something, the club will back every decision Arteta makes so it doesn’t matter. There’s no way you can tell me the club is concerned about money surely?

I’ve washed my hands off this lad anyways, cause it’s too disappointing to see him play well then get messed about. Then watch people call him crap or limited when he inevitably goes wonky.

That’s football though, it is what it is. Arsenal will move on, hopefully this lad will too if he has anything about him.
Him leaving would do me wonders too. It will definitely help me limit the dose of **** I take from this team.

Moah

Again, in 23 games since November 8, Willian has played 58 minutes off the bench ahead of Pepe in blowouts where we were up by 3+ goals. Basically nothing.

If the game is in doubt, Pepe is starting or coming off the bench before Willian. The only time Willian plays ahead of Pepe is in garbage time in blowouts as they try to get him a few minutes to sort himself out.
I didn't say anything about the other matches, I was talking about the leeds game. How is it fair that you give one player games with all the upside for the player, and make or break 10 minute cameos for the other?

Why did Willian get the nod on Sunday ahead of Pepe or Martinelli? Because he is a failed signing on high wages? What is the upside for the club if they keep playing a useless player at the expense of a promising youth prospect and a record signing that can get you money from resale?

Melquiades

I didn't say anything about the other matches, I was talking about the leeds game. How is it fair that you give one player games with all the upside for the player, and make or break 10 minute cameos for the other?

Why did Willian get the nod on Sunday ahead of Pepe or Martinelli? Because he is a failed signing on high wages? What is the upside for the club if they keep playing a useless player at the expense of a promising youth prospect and a record signing that can get you money from resale?

This is moving the goalposts of this discussion from Willian vs. Pepe to Willian vs. Martinelli which is a totally different discussion.

It’s easy for supporters to say ‘Willian should never play a minute again!’ 2 months into a 3 year contract.

It’s a bit different for a management/ownership group who has 30 million+ invested in this player over the next 3 years to park that player forever. They know he’s been awful - that’s why they’re basically not playing him anymore in situations where he can have any sort of impact on a result. But they also owe it to their investment to try and get the player straightened out and get some value back on their investment.

It sucks but that’s how it works. And that’s how it would work for any team and it isn’t somehow specific to Arteta. And again, the minutes Willian is getting are sweet f all right now.

Whether Arteta should be ripped to shreds for wanting this player initially is another matter entirely.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

This is moving the goalposts of this discussion from Willian vs. Pepe to Willian vs. Martinelli which is a totally different discussion.

It’s easy for supporters to say ‘Willian should never play a minute again!’ 2 months into a 3 year contract.

It’s a bit different for a management/ownership group who has 30 million+ invested in this player over the next 3 years to park that player forever. They know he’s been awful - that’s why they’re basically not playing him anymore in situations where he can have any sort of impact on a result. But they also owe it to their investment to try and get the player straightened out and get some value back on their investment.

It sucks but that’s how it works. And that’s how it would work for any team and it isn’t somehow specific to Arteta. And again, the minutes Willian is getting are sweet f all right now.

Whether Arteta should be ripped to shreds for wanting this player initially is another matter entirely.
Willian been here more than 2 months. Sometimes clubs make huge errors. Best to move the player on rather than keep giving him minutes and lower the bar so low that you try to find positives in his game

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Find it weird how people put his lack of progression down to Emery/ Arteta dropping him. Do you not see how mentally fragile that is.

You accept it if he completely transforms us, but he doesn’t. Very much like Auba in the sense that he can get the goals but doesn’t necessarily make the team better.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Is that the same management that is happy to see that their investment in Pepe flushed down the toilet just because Arteta doesn't fancy it?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Find it weird how people put his lack of progression down to Emery/ Arteta dropping him. Do you not see how mentally fragile that is.
Let's be honest here, 95% of top players would be handing their transfer requests if they were treated like Pepe was here. By your logic, looks like all of them would be considered mentally fragile.
Pepe can't ask for a transfer because he wasn't allowed to build his stock here, he basically lost 2 years at Arsenal.
I've seen enough from him to know that he can play, and should play for us, but what's going on behind the scenes is beyond me, and it's not only Pepe because we've seen questionable decisions with other players as well

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Let's be honest here, 95% of top players would be handing their transfer requests if they were treated like Pepe was here. By your logic, looks like all of them would be considered mentally fragile.
Pepe can't ask for a transfer because he wasn't allowed to build his stock here, he basically lost 2 years at Arsenal.
I've seen enough from him to know that he can play, and should play for us, but what's going on behind the scenes is beyond me, and it's not only Pepe because we've seen questionable decisions with other players as well
Well said.

Yeah he may be trapped by his transfer fee even if he did want to go - but somehow I doubt the club would stand in his way.

In theory a massive loss might not be a big deal to the club looking at Özil, Mustafi, etc. along with zero pressure from anybody to make Pepe look useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom