• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gilberto Silva (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Established Member
Yeah first Parlour, and of course Vieira and Edu heading to Spain. This makes the world of sense. Who needs a midfield eh? We'll just play a 5-0-5 formation.

calvinngai88

LoL! 5-0-5, why not 0-0-10. Isn't it better? Goalkicks all the way to the opponent's edge of penalty box, 9 players to stand on the goal line, 1 to get the ball and strike a GROUND ball directly towards the net, and all 9 players jump up., GOAL! :lol:

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
calvinngai88 said:
LoL! 5-0-5, why not 0-0-10. Isn't it better? Goalkicks all the way to the opponent's edge of penalty box, 9 players to stand on the goal line, 1 to get the ball and strike a GROUND ball directly towards the net, and all 9 players jump up., GOAL! :lol:
Now you're getting a bit excited. What happens when they get the ball. I know your kidding mate.

jacc_7_1

*Loyan* said:
calvinngai88 said:
Now you're getting a bit excited. What happens when they get the ball. I know your kidding mate.

ha ha you didnt know lehman can stop whatever ball the opponent shoot at him? :lol:

Ori

Gilberto to leave?

I don't think we should let Edu go (yet) we should sign him on a new contract (and make more money out of him).
but I do think we should let Gilberto go, he never was a brilliant and we can see those days a better young player in his position - Cesc.
gsilva_03.jpg

So what to you think? Gilberto should be out of highbury?

lee1001

Established Member
Gilberto has been fantastic this season, last season he was almost as good. Its only now that Arsenal fans are beginning to appreciate him.

Edu on the other hand has never really established himself at Arsenal. Yes he has had a run of games, but Gilberto is ahead of him in the pecking order and will play when 100% fit.

Edu offers more going forward than Gil but doesn seem to give the ball away too easily.

If i HAD to choose. Id say thankyou for your time Edu, all the best.

A

Anonymous

lee1001 said:
Gilberto has been fantastic this season, last season he was almost as good. Its only now that Arsenal fans are beginning to appreciate him.

Edu on the other hand has never really established himself at Arsenal. Yes he has had a run of games, but Gilberto is ahead of him in the pecking order and will play when 100% fit.

Edu offers more going forward than Gil but doesn seem to give the ball away too easily.

If i HAD to choose. Id say thankyou for your time Edu, all the best.

I've been saying that for ages. When Edu had his little purple patch last season I got loads of stick on here. Oh well.

goonerlove

Its an interesting question... we seem to be linked with center mids and yet we now have:

1) Vieira
2) Gilberto
3) Edu
4) Fabregas
5) Flamini

It seems like at some point soon, it will be hard to deny Fabregas more playing time.. and Flamini is going to want to know where he stands in the next year or so. With 5, you can keep them busy through injuries, Carling, FA, EPL, CL; but you are mainly going to use Vieira and Gilberto in EPL and CL (unless one is hurt).

It almost seems like it would make sense to sell Edu in January and perhaps pick up another youth target - that gives more opportunities for Fabregas and Flamini to play while still maintaining our primary solid 2 in the middle (Vieira and Gilberto). Don't get me wrong, I love Edu... but we don't have the unlimited funds like Chelski does to leave good players on the bench for our big games. If we could get 5-6 million pounds (or more) for Edu in January, that would set us up nicely to make an offer for a solid defender or another young midfielder without going into the whole financially.

I would love to see us be smart with our monies now so that we really set ourselves up as we start to transition to the next Arsenal generation over the next 3-5 years. If you think about it, we will need to replace and/or rebuild some depth as:

1) Bergkamp retires this year or next
2) Lehmann moving on this year or next (I bet after next year)
3) Pires ages in 2-4 years
4) Vieira ages in 3-5 years
5) Campbell ages in 3-5 years
6) Henry, Freddie, Gilberto, Lauren, et al. age in 5+ years

We have a solid core of youth, but it will be hard to replace the above players. If you look at our youth, the ones I am most excited about are:

1) Reyes
2) Cole (he is still so young)
3) Fabregas
4) Van Persie
5) Ryan Smith
6) David Bentley
7) Philippe Senderos
8) David Hoyte

But as you look at that list, nobody yet emerges as a star defender (yes Toure could possibly be in that category given his age).. if Senderos finally does make that leap, then I will be more comfortable. But I really worry about how we are going to deal with the loss of our defensive strength (Vieira, Campbell especially) in the coming years.

I went way off tangent, but I guess the key point is that we have an opportunity now to be prudent with our money in order to save for when we are probably going to really need it. Investing in youth and a few targeted positions over the next 5 years would be the intelligent move and would give us major muscle in the transfer market. I would like to see us get a legitimate replacement for Lehmann after this season or after the following season as well.

Goonerlove

TIFANNY

I agree with you!! people underestimate him

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
goonerlove said:
Its an interesting question... we seem to be linked with center mids and yet we now have:

1) Vieira
2) Gilberto
3) Edu
4) Fabregas
5) Flamini

It seems like at some point soon, it will be hard to deny Fabregas more playing time.. and Flamini is going to want to know where he stands in the next year or so. With 5, you can keep them busy through injuries, Carling, FA, EPL, CL; but you are mainly going to use Vieira and Gilberto in EPL and CL (unless one is hurt).

It almost seems like it would make sense to sell Edu in January and perhaps pick up another youth target - that gives more opportunities for Fabregas and Flamini to play while still maintaining our primary solid 2 in the middle (Vieira and Gilberto). Don't get me wrong, I love Edu... but we don't have the unlimited funds like Chelski does to leave good players on the bench for our big games. If we could get 5-6 million pounds (or more) for Edu in January, that would set us up nicely to make an offer for a solid defender or another young midfielder without going into the whole financially.

I would love to see us be smart with our monies now so that we really set ourselves up as we start to transition to the next Arsenal generation over the next 3-5 years. If you think about it, we will need to replace and/or rebuild some depth as:

1) Bergkamp retires this year or next
2) Lehmann moving on this year or next (I bet after next year)
3) Pires ages in 2-4 years
4) Vieira ages in 3-5 years
5) Campbell ages in 3-5 years
6) Henry, Freddie, Gilberto, Lauren, et al. age in 5+ years

We have a solid core of youth, but it will be hard to replace the above players. If you look at our youth, the ones I am most excited about are:

1) Reyes
2) Cole (he is still so young)
3) Fabregas
4) Van Persie
5) Ryan Smith
6) David Bentley
7) Philippe Senderos
8) David Hoyte I will let you off for that one.LOL

But as you look at that list, nobody yet emerges as a star defender (yes Toure could possibly be in that category given his age).. if Senderos finally does make that leap, then I will be more comfortable. But I really worry about how we are going to deal with the loss of our defensive strength (Vieira, Campbell especially) in the coming years.

I went way off tangent, but I guess the key point is that we have an opportunity now to be prudent with our money in order to save for when we are probably going to really need it. Investing in youth and a few targeted positions over the next 5 years would be the intelligent move and would give us major muscle in the transfer market. I would like to see us get a legitimate replacement for Lehmann after this season or after the following season as well.

Goonerlove
That part was actually a very nice though actually. Never really thought of it that way and am really behind what you are saying. When I first heard about the deal I thought great. We can get new players now, but forgot comepletely we need players for the future as our current ones who are our mainstays in the team are on their way, and when they do dicide to go, they will all be similar ages. Don't want us to be in Man U's current position now do we?

Back on topic though, I actually believe that Gilberto is way better tha Edu and deserves his place on the team ahead of all the other CM bar Vieira, and if you are going by Recent form only Fanregas can eclipse him. I am tired of Gilberto bashers, but I will never get tired of backing up Gilberto, and untilhe does something so unbelievebly wrong that it is unacceptable I will stand by my words and protect him.

AFCG7

Established Member
We have to keep Gilberto.. if we have to get rid of a midfield player then it has to be Edu.. Gilberto and Vieira are the only two good defensive midfielders we have.. if we sell Gilberto abd Vieira gets injured, we'd have to play Edu/Cesc or Flamini /Edu or Flamini/Cesc.. thats midfield ****.

jasonlohkh

Gilberto in and Edu out. We can invest the money from Edu (if he is sold in January) to Mascherano. Young n talented. Perhaps WEenger can mould him into the next Paddy.

goonerlove

Hehe.. David Hoyte.. what was I thinking?

Anyways... I also forgot Lupoli who seems to have buckets of potential. There are others as well, so who knows.

I really do think Paddy and Gil are our 1-2 punch in the midfield right now. Fabregas will soon be challenging Gil for his place, but not yet. With Flamini in the wings, I agree that Edu is expendable and perhaps the money we can get for him now is the right money at the right time.

Goonerlove

Ori

jasonlohkh said:
Gilberto in and Edu out. We can invest the money from Edu (if he is sold in January) to Mascherano. Young n talented. Perhaps WEenger can mould him into the next Paddy.

so u think Gilberto should stay AND play next to Vieira as first team player?
BTW I don't think we're gonna get too much over Edu because his contract is runnin out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom