• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

gael clichy

quattro

this kid has been outstanding. so outstanding that even at this young age it seems like a shame that we only get to see him perform as ashley cole's understudy. this has nothing to do with lauren btw (who i think has been generally ok) but just for discussion's sake wouldn't it be great if he could play as right back and bring that cole-like prowess and pace to the other side of the pitch especially when cole is around?

Gooner83

He is an amazing talent, no doubt.

I love full backs who can play FOOTBALL!

When Coles fit, sometimes wenger brings him on for Pires late in the game as he seems to work well there also.

For his size, he seems a better jumper/header than Cole.

Mark

Established Member
At first I thought it was stupid but I don't see why he couldn't be an RB. We have Pires who is right footed playing LM, Ljungberg is also right footed but plays best on the left. Surely it could work the same with a left footed player like Clichy playing as a RB.

I hope he has some kind of future here because he is an excellent talent. I don't know how Wenger finds these players. I've sang his praises in the past but I still thought he might struggle today, boy did he prove me wrong I voted him MOTM.

A central role either in midfield or defence might also be a possibility although it would help if he was a bit taller and bulkier. He's only 18 so I guess that can still come.

A

Anonymous

i agree with all the positive points regarding Clichy,wow what a talent,no what an unbelievable talen i love this guy.
You guys really made me think your right why cant he play at right back,we have just got to find a place in the team for this guy,and i for one would be glad to see him given a go at right back in place of Lauren who i believe to be the weak link.

His proformance today was sensational and all this at the tender age of 18,i really think we have unearthed a real gem here.

turtle

Well, I heard it sometimes ago that using a left footed player at right back or vice versa is not a good idea. Defending and attacking is different, the full back will have to chase back most of the time and facing his own goal. When the opposition winger trying to cut in and the full back chasing inside of the winger, the best foot will allow him to clear the ball to the direction of the sideline easier.

Unless Clichy has a good right foot, is confident in using it and developes first instinct to use his right foot, he won't be a good right back.

A.Hussain

i keep wondering whether wenger would push ash up after pires retires and make clichy our official left back. unfortunately ash's shot isnt exactly the kind the brings pires style or even number of goals.

seanconvey66

Pires has got abt 3 or 4 years left in him anyway!!!!! Yea the boys class, hope he stays around for a while, makes a big diff playing him when ash is injured instead of GvB who is a good player but not a left back!!!

Senght

Superb buy by AW. Solid defensively and great going forward too. For me, I hope that he can be a succesor to Pires when he retire 4/5 years later. Love to see him stay here always.

KingReyes

Established Member
Gooner83 said:
When Coles fit, sometimes wenger brings him on for Pires late in the game as he seems to work well there also.
quote]

Yes and its much better than bringing on Cygan.

sean

we have not seen enough of clichy to know whether he can play right back.

toure of course is the automatic choice if lauren gets injured, with keown or cygan filling in his slot.

can clichy adapt to right back if asked, i beleive he can.

i can only think of a few attacking left wingers /midfielders in the country and against every one else i think he would cope fine in the position, but it is only a guess.

his speed means players do not or in the future will not try to run him , forcing them to check backm inside , like so many england left wing/midfielders do when playing for the country.

tackling with the wrong foot , just requires a bit of practise and is not an exceptionally diffucult skill to learn.

, afetr all most of the time you are only trying to put the ball out.

the diffucult thing is receiving the ball deep and then being shown an alley down the line and passing accuratley enough to keep the ball in play when the natural tendacy is to swerve the ball towards the touchline.

but if phil neville can do it , then clichy IMO can.

seanconvey66

Yea leave him at left back, hes naturally left sided and obviously prefers that position so why change. Hoyte looks a very good player for the reserves, youth and baby england.

Mark

Established Member
I'd be very surprised if Cole played LM. It's a big move and at not so young an age. He's been playing LB for years so I don't see him moving from there, which is a shame in a way because I really want Clichy to be part of our team in the future he is simply awesome.

seanconvey66

Cole started out as a left winger he was only moved to full back when he was 17 or 18 so the transition wouldnt be that hard really

n_henry

I hope we keep this guy - I'm sure there'll soon be a few clubs who'll want him, as he looks pretty much ready for first team football...

IMHO (though it doesn't count for much, as I'm not a great analyst of players...), but he probably could adapt to RB. But if he's ever going to do that, he has to do it soon... pretty much now, and I don't think that'll happen..

Still, love Gael. 8)

SuperBob

Clichy and Pires were unbelivable yesterday! all the team played great! I got abit woried when I heard Cole was out but only because we were playing Man U boy did Clichy prove me wrong! he even stepped up against Man U

Soler

Established Member
I think Gael likes these big matches. He's played against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge as well and was brilliant there. You can't fault the kid at anything he does.

Soler

Established Member
That match too! A super effort that was. First Champion's League match, in Spain, on foreign soil (literally, that pitch was shocking). Gael Clichy - Superstar.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom