• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rafael van der Vaart

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnerGH

Established Member
Mostarac said:
gunnerGH said:
They will win it. No?

Win what?

The Champions League (2-3 seasons time)

I think if that money is spent wisely then they could be one of the top four teams in it, they already have a few world class players as it is.

I think Bayern will be the same next year after extensive spending in the summer.

Mostarac

Established Member
gunnerGH said:
The Champions League (2-3 seasons time)
I think if that money is spent wisely then they could be one of the top four teams in it, they already have a few world class players as it is.
I think Bayern will be the same next year after extensive spending in the summer.

Realistically, Juventus should be a force in European football again in 2008/2009, but they have not done too well in the Champions League recently. But, new people and new players have come in, so their results in Europe might be better now.

nidza7

Established Member
no doubt they`ll be formidable opponent come in CL next year.

Little doubts about them lays in Ranieri`s knoledge(good manager but never a true winner) who`s not being highly regarded by their own fans and has lot to prove in juve.

Dez

Money means nothing unless it is spent well in football. Their side is ageing and needs massive investment to compete in the Champions League. Keep in mind Sp**s have spent that sort of money in recent times...26 points later.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
patrick42uk said:
Is VDV quick enough to play for Arsenal?

He has not that much pace but he is for sure not the slowest classy player. he has some pace but its not very very much, you can say he is as fast as RVP? maby

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Is VDV quick enough to play for Arsenal?

I wouldn't say he is a very fast player but then again I wouldn't say the same about Fabregas, Flamini and RvP either and they fit in fine. But you do need someone with a bit of pace if they are to play on the wings. If I'm brutally honest I haven't seen much of VDV running at full pace but he doesn't strike me as being slow either.

Gurgen

Established Member
VdV is fairly quick, not explosive but quick enough. Probably just as quick as RvP or slightly faster.

JazzG

Established Member
Do you think he could do a job for us on the wings? He won't get any games upfront for us so you would think if we were to sign him that is where he would play.

I'm not convinced by Rosicky and I feel he only plays well when Fabregas or Hleb are around and that worries me. Doesn't strike me as the type who even when they are out can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and control it. We are too short in our creative department imo. We can't afford to be in a position where we rely solely on those two especially as I don't see Fabregas being here for the long term.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
I think with VdV, you know what you're getting. He's a great striker of the ball, good ball control, good passer. Doesn't have a lot of pace, and probably isn't going to really improve his overall game very much. He's a very good player, for £10M he'd be a nice signing, but I don't see the need to get in a bidding war with other clubs for him and pay silly money. He doesn't have a ton of unrealized upside, in my opinion anyway. I think he'd fit in well here, but I think a player like Ben Arfa would fit even better, and unlike VdV, I think the latter still has quite a bit of upside. If they cost the same, I'll take Ben Arfa.

number_0

Established Member
VDV was the second opposition player to score in the emirates in the champions league(the first was eduardo)

great player but imo not what we need, unless he syncs his injuries with rosicky

Sammer

Established Member
JazzG said:
Do you think he could do a job for us on the wings?

Frankly, no.

He's a great player, but playing him on the wings would be to waste his main strengths: orchestrating attacking play, playing inch-accureate through balls and passes, and getting into central goalscoring positions.

He would be fantastic as an attacking playmaker, next to a rock-hard DM - in any league. But he is not fast enough for a winger, even though he'd have no problems of quick one-touch passing given his outstanding technical ability.

JazzG

Established Member
Sammer said:
Frankly, no.

He's a great player, but playing him on the wings would be to waste his main strengths: orchestrating attacking play, playing inch-accureate through balls and passes, and getting into central goalscoring positions.

He would be fantastic as an attacking playmaker, next to a rock-hard DM - in any league. But he is not fast enough for a winger, even though he'd have no problems of quick one-touch passing given his outstanding technical ability.

But do you not think the same things you have mentioned could apply to Hleb and Rosicky? Both were known to be central attacking players players. Our midfield is basically four central players playing together. I think it helps keep us balanced if one of them gets high up the pitch so Hleb and Rosicky can tuck in if you know what I mean. Also you could say that they are more comfortable to knock it around whereas a more conventional winger is usually always looking to beat his ban get a cross/shot in.

go49oner

Established Member
I thought he put in great performance today against Italy , he would be great addition to the squad if we can buy him, and would be good replacement for Hleb(If he goes)

JazzG

Established Member
Yes he would be if he could stay fit for a whole season, keep discussions to who we would like in the wish list thread please :)

Not linked with him so am gonna have to close this one.

M+D

Established Member
Despite Arsenal's dazzling start, Wenger is considering strengthening the squad with 26-year-old midfielder Van der Vaart, who is available for just £6m after becoming involved in a bitter dispute with Real.

Wenger has allowed Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure to leave for £38m and has been criticised for spending only £8m on centre-half Vermaelen.

Van der Vaart would be a welcome addition, with Tomas Rosicky and Samir Nasri injured, and yesterday the Dutchman said: 'I really want to come to England.

'There are a number of clubs with offers, where I can go in Germany, Spain and Italy. I have also had a request from Martin Jol to go back to Ajax. But none of those options appeal to me. I want to go to the Premier League and I know where I want to play.'

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1206817/Rampant-Arsenal-eye-6m-Rafael-van-der-Vaart-Real-Madrid-midfielder-reveals-Premier-League-dream.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0OITFigTv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z0OITFigTv</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very unlikely to be us I know, but a fantastic signing for whoever he really ends up joining.

otfgoon

Established Member
I doubt Arsène will look to sign him just because Nasri and Tomas are out for a few weeks. Even if Tomas is expected to get more injuries.

What the hell is up with the Daily Mail recently anyway? They seem obsessed with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom