• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Credit where it's due - 06/04/04 @ 11.40 p.m.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

I feel the need to post something spontaneous before we all pick the bones out of tonight, as we will, over the coming hours and days.

We can be sure every pundit, every neutral and every damn manure and spuds fan will have a theory about this game. Most of them will involve Arsenal bottling it. Wenger getting it all wrong. Tales of arrogance, underperformance and woe. Talk of punishment and retribution.

But I have a theory that you just have to trust your gut reaction to any given situation.

We didn't lose the game thanks to any of the above. In fact we deserved to bury Chelsea in the first half. Reyes, Pires & Vieira were all superb.

So to my gut reaction painful as it may be, namely that Chelsea were simply fantastic and better, to a man, in the second half. No two ways about it. They had staying power, legs, call it what you will. Ranieri finally cast off the "tinkerman" moniker. He used his squad and when we tired, as Raniri thought we might, they were there to pick up the pieces. They won the game, on merit, because we didn't do the job "early doors". Simple as that. The players did it for Ranieri. And if Roman and his minions don't give the guy a long term contract, tommorrow, there's no justice in the footballing world.

I want to be angry about this. I want to say Wenger screwed it up, as perhaps he did in the FA Cup game by starting with Aliadiere instead of Reyes. I'd like to make some trite observation to the effect that Henry, say, has now failed as a big game player, although in truth it's obvious now that Wenger's been masking an injury he's picked up of late. Either that or he's plain knackered. I'd like to blame it on Lehman, for spilling that ball, although and in truth it was a great strike by Makalele.

But I can't.

I've never liked Chelsea. I don't much like their fans either, let alone their board. But I do like Ranieri.

So well done mate.

I can end on a high(ish) note; Arsenal will win the league. Chelsea put everything in to tonght. Arsenal can, sadly, concentrate on the one trophy now and Chelsea won't have the experience to go on the run they need to outstrip us. In fact I think they'll drop points this weekend. Thankfully Manure who are more than capable, are so distant as not to be a concern. Four points from the next two games will be enough to set us up for it though I do wonder what the players will be thinking as they cart it round Highbury.

thegame24

Established Member
Yea well done chelsea.

They had the luck too dont forget.

I was More angry on sat cause we were cheated, today i felt heart broken cause we were just beat, simple as.

IW8

Beany said:
So to my gut reaction painful as it may be, namely that Chelsea were simply fantastic and better, to a man, in the second half. No two ways about it. They had staying power, legs, call it what you will. Ranieri finally cast off the "tinkerman" moniker. He used his squad and when we tired, as Raniri thought we might, they were there to pick up the pieces. They won the game, on merit, because we didn't do the job "early doors". Simple as that. The players did it for Ranieri. And if Roman and his minions don't give the guy a long term contract, tommorrow, there's no justice in the footballing world.

I want to be angry about this. I want to say Wenger screwed it up, as perhaps he did in the FA Cup game by starting with Aliadiere instead of Reyes. I'd like to make some trite observation to the effect that Henry, say, has now failed as a big game player, although in truth it's obvious now that Wenger's been masking an injury he's picked up of late. Either that or he's plain knackered. I'd like to blame it on Lehman, for spilling that ball, although and in truth it was a great strike by Makalele.

But I can't.

I've never liked Chelsea. I don't much like their fans either, let alone their board. But I do like Ranieri.

So well done mate.

Hear Hear. If we were going to lose to any Premiership Manager I'd rather it was him than any of the others. He's been treated appallingly but he never publically complained and just got on with his job. He is also one of the few Managers who will acknowledge when another team plays well, and I don't think I've heard him complain about the officials if things don't go CFC's way.

So like you Beaney I would like to offer my congratulations to him and wish him well in the CL, but the Premiership is still ours!

JazzG

Established Member
Chelsea were superb in the 2nd half, they gave it their all. This was the time for Arsenal to work even harder and grind out the result. I know we can do it, that is why this defeat hurts to much.

benfica

bottom line people. arsenal are a bunch of chokers. did it lasts season and they will do it again this season. we are gonna win nothing.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
True that. As much as it hurts..i am glad we lost to them. It was about time. I really felt for our players becausey they gave too much(i think) in the first half and simply just had no gas/legs..whateva u call it inthe second half. It wasn't about not wanting it..we were just tired..and of course that early equaliste did not help.

timberford

having just got in from the game it's probably just as well i've had this long to cool off.

i have to say well done to chelsea, especially for the 2nd half, they were one of the most impressive sides i've seen play at highbury. lampard was amazing, if he carries on playing like that for the rest of the season then i'd love to see him in the starting 11 for england in the summer.

Mark

Established Member
Chelsea were good for the same reason Man U were good at Highbury a couple of weeks ago. The reason being that we let them.

Think about it - if we were at our best, would they have had those oppurtunities? **** no. Look at how we dominated them in the first half. We didn't let them play that well. I don't like blaming individuals but I just blame the attitude of the team overall in the second half. That, I believe, lost us the game.

GoonerLuke

Chelsea played superbly against us, playing more like a team than we were.

Lampard is class. I only wish Arsenal had bought him years back. He's a combative workhorse with one hell of a shot.

Wayne Bridge gave Sven something to think about. There is very little between him and Cole (though I'm still partial to Ash).

The Chelsea defense was better than ours. They may not be better player by player, but were a superior unit today.

Somethings needs to change.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
We shouldn't be surprised about chelsea....1 they have a good manager 2...they've had less high pressure games 3...they were good last year 4..they spent over £100m in a year 5...they had to beat us eventually
6....we are missing squad players and our 1st 11 is knacekered........7...we still could have been 2 or 3 up at half time in both this and the man u game...........

Think lampard is overated (great shot & a smart player), but not sure he'd be much better than edu. The big differnce is that chelsea have twice as many really good players as us, so they can rotate...let the neveau riche have their day...the russian won't be about forever...

If it wasn't for Claudio's immenent departure motivating the team and the good run of form they are on, they'd have bottled it again though....especially if they'd scored first and we'd equalised....ah well

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
well u can't compare chelsea's performance and manUnited. Manunited did not do *****. Chelsea did..i mean they didn't create any chances but they did a good job holding on to that ball and movement. But I believe it really came down to US being KNACKERED!! In the first half our movement, pace and quality was just on a different level. We are a better team guys through and through and our record against them shows. But we didn't take our chances today..got tired, lost momentum and they us pressed well.

Andrew

I thought over the whole 2 legs Chelsea were easily the better team. For what reasons I don't know, but they no doubt deserved it. A CL final spot awaits them, because frankly, they will get there. And in their current form who's to say they won't win is? They're probably the only ones who can knock of Milan.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Andrew said:
I thought over the whole 2 legs Chelsea were easily the better team. For what reasons I don't know, but they no doubt deserved it. A CL final spot awaits them, because frankly, they will get there. And in their current form who's to say they won't win is? They're probably the only ones who can knock of Milan.
Andrew, How can you claim that they were the better team without backing your claim with any solid reason? I am not saying they don't deserve to be in the 1/2..to be honest either one of us could have been there. And i think they can go far. I still see flaws in their game i.e they really can't create chances!!! But their execution rate is very high. They are a very good defensive team and they will go far..it will always be 1-1, 1-0, 0-0 scoreline for them. They good at that.

Mark

Established Member
Chelski may not make very many chances but they take the ones they get - pretty or not. That is our weakness. We create loads of chances but we waste them, which you just cannot do in any game, never mind a game with an importance of that size.

visitor99

Credit to the true Arsenal fans who can acknowledge a good performance from the opposition.

To the Gooners who are knocking their players and manager, it was a quater-final of the Champions League FFS! Whoever you play at this level are going to be capable of playing a good game.

Perhaps the luck has evened up a bit over the five meetings between the two clubs. I make it two keeping blunders from Chelsea (Cuducini at Highbury, and Sullivan at the Bridge) helping Arsenal to two wins in the league, and two from Lehmann helping Chelsea through this quarter final. Still, neither of Lehmann's mistakes were as bad as either of the Chelsea ones earlier in the season.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Mark said:
Chelski may not make very many chances but they take the ones they get - pretty or not. That is our weakness. We create loads of chances but we waste them, which you just cannot do in any game, never mind a game with an importance of that size.

You are right..we really do need to execute better because in big games you probably get 2 chances the whole game. Our execution however has improved from last year.

This really could have gone either way!! The coin fell to chelsea today!!Its o.k cos the coin has fallen our way..to many times before.

Top Bottom