• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ashley Cole (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIPOLOPO

Established Member
Legend#1 said:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006340853,00.html

Only 20m? and Chelsea willing to pay 15m! they can go get stuffed.

BTW, If I remeber correctly one of brums player didn’t show up for training on time, and they crucified him, can’t we do the same? :roll:

Grampus_Eight

Gurgen said:
Ziontrain said:
Grampus_Eight said:
But the real precedent is John Obi-Mikel, a player deemed to be worth in the neighborhood of £4M by United, but tapped-up by Chelsea. Eventually the matter was taken to FIFA, but before a decision was made Chelsea settled and purchased him for £16M....... So Chelsea paid £12M above his valuation to make the scandal go away.

Exactly. And if Obi, an uproven 16 yr old with 1 year left n his contract is £16m, then why should a 25 yr old England left back be the same price? What - is Roman down to his last stolen billion or something?

Obi is 19 I believe and hardly unproven. He owned both the U-20 WC and the African Nations.

Sorry chap but as good as Obi-Mikel is, he will not walk into Chelsea's starting XI. He has almost no chance to displace Ballack, Lampard, Essien or Makelele in the center. I did point out out that he won the silver ball at the world youth cup. I thought his talents were sufficiently known. By the way, Taye Taiwo finished the third best player in the youth world cup (behind Messi and the aforementioned Obi-Mike), but he is deemed by many here as sub-Arsenal standard).

There's no doubt about how highly Mikel is judged though. He's simply considered one of the outstanding central midfield prospects in the world. However, he did NOT own the ANC. In fact, Zokora and Yaya Toure gave him a footballing lesson when the Elephants advanced.

Anyway, my point is that his price was 4M quid with 12M quid going to United as hush money. Cole's starting price is 16M (the price Madrid would have payed). But that is his base price. When we are selling to our nearest rival and they routinely pay 5-10M quid surcharge for every major purchase and there's still some hush money to be paid out...then were talking 25M for Cashley.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ashley is worth of 30m at least. When ManU signed Ferdinand, they paid 25m and another 5m depending on suscess. I think they have paid at least 27m-28m to Leeds as they've won one league title (02-03) and one Fa cup (03-04). Ashley's current status is no less than Rio's status after WC02. A minimum 25M is the right price for Ash's service.

flaunt

Yeah, but Manchester United overpay for everything anyway. They'd buy a Tic Tac for 5 bucks and proclaim it the best Tic Tac in the world.

Buhry

Established Member

Grampus_Eight said:
By the way, Taye Taiwo finished the third best player in the youth world cup (behind Messi and the aforementioned Obi-Mike), but he is deemed by many here as sub-Arsenal standard).
Err, it was in fact Quincy that finished third best player in that tournament.
Back to topic though, If Chelsea want to pay us 25-30 million pounds for Ca$hley, I'd bite their hands off.

Ziontrain

Big Poppa said:
I very much disagree with those saying he's 'only a left-back'. The left side has been a fundamental part of Arsenal's success in recent years and has depended very much upon the synergy between Cole, Pires and Henry. Notice his runs when he goes beyond the opposition defence. Traditional LB's go as far forward as possible next to the byline and look to put in a cross - Cole almost always ends up in the CF position and takes the opposition right-back with him, leaving a huge gap for whoever is down the left (usually Henry).

That understanding takes years to develop.

Not really - the SYSTEM took year to develop. You might have noticed that Flamini was able to replicate those runs and make the space. Difference was that Flamini actually picked his spots better so he wasn't caught out - and he busted his gut to get back afterwards instead of reserving his speed for attacking.

Gurgen said:
Obi is 19 I believe and hardly unproven. He owned both the U-20 WC and the African Nations.

16 or 19 he has not even appeared in a 2nd tier league, let alone dominated one. All he has dominated is yout cups and a 3rd tier league. I could draw you up a 20-30 man list of players who were superstars at youth level and nonetities today. In the African cup Obi played and he was good to a certain point - but you could see that when he was among men he was far from dominant.

So he remains at this time unproven - as Cesc was before he did the business in the first team. You gotta show it on the field first. Real Madrid presidential canididates were not mentioning Cesc's name until he did the business at top level. That is when you have proof.

Ashley Cole is on England's team sheet without question. So we shouldn't be getting same price for him as a player who has.

Taiye Taiwo is a phenom going forward but has some lot to learn defensively. Still he is undoubtedly a Arsenal quality player. The guy is a phenom. 6'3" left backs with Roberto Carlos speed, endurance and shot do not grow on trees. Those kind of guys create mismatches and win you games.

If Chelsea had any gumption about how to improve their team, they'd take half of what they want to pay for Cole and buy Taiwo instead. He will be better player within a year.

The real reason the oil-theifs want Cole must be to weaken us - not to strengthen their team. But they will soon find out that the Arsnenal system has been more charitable to him than they realise.

asajoseph

Established Member
The money that was paid for Mikel, in my mind, was as much 'hush-money' for Utd as it was compensation for Lyn for transferring their player - on the open market, coming from a small club, Mikel would have cost nowhere near as much as that, had there not been the complications in the deal that there were.

Chelsea wanted an end to the saga, especially as it all kicked off a time when their name was already being dragged through the mud. They paid the price.

Mikel is not the benchmark for the Cole deal by any means - closer to the mark is perhaps the Michael Essien deal of last summer. A top player who wants to leave their club, but a smart (hopefully) chairman who will make sure that we get the highest possible fee. If we can get any more than the 16 million that was first touted, I'll be delighted.

Buhry

Established Member

Lyn had an agreement with the mancs before the chavs got involved, and the fee was believed to be around 7 million pounds. thats what the Norwegian press believed anyway.

Artillero

Fat Frank has a dig at ****ly?

“I think we will hopefully get married next year. That is the plan. It won’t be a big, flashy wedding. We won’t sell pictures to a glossy magazine. That’s not my style. We think it will be abroad, but it will hopefully be somewhere where it is done before anyone knows. Then we will tell everyone.”

go49oner

Established Member
why oh why did wenger play this little c*nt in CL final , when he didnt deserve it. :x hope jens or toure breaks his f*ucking left ankle b4 we sell him. :evil: :evil:

godfather

We are not in rush to sell him especially to Chelsea.
If we can't get 25+m from chelsea, why not put him into reserves for 2 years then let him go for free, and we Arsenal lost nothing.

cesc18

godfather said:
We are not in rush to sell him especially to Chelsea.
If we can't get 25+m from chelsea, why not put him into reserves for 2 years then let him go for free, and we Arsenal lost nothing.

as much as i would love to do that if we dont get 25m+ for cole :lol:
dont think the club would waste 7m just for him to train with the reserves
not the greatest thing for the spirit at the club to keep a player who wants out
wenger would never do that

Buhry

Established Member

asajoseph said:
Is that so? I was under the impression that the sum was closer to 3 or 4...

Lyn said it was the biggest ever deal made in norwegian football(they did not announce the fee though), even bigger than the sale of John Carew to Valencia. Carew was sold for about 70 million norwegian kroners, wich is about 6 million pounds.

Ziontrain

The fee for original Lyn-to-Chelsea Obi deal that I saw reported in Norwegian press was 3-4mm pounds, same as someone above said. That was pretty consistent and their press is VERY good at getting inside info because its a small country and everyone knows everyone more or less.

Apparently that deal broke down because Chelsea wanted most of that money to be "washed" through Lyn to agents pockets, since said agents were middlemen believed to "own" Obi as front mem for top men in the Nigerian FA.

Of course Lyn told Chelsea to pay its agents itself - its not like they couldn't afford to!

And thus the stupid Chelsea c#nts began a dumb war that exposed their dirty business and ended up cost them £12MM additional ie a total cost of 4x more than the fee Lyn was originally quite happy to accept!

My God the Chavskis are dumb. If they will happily pay £5m for the likes of Wayne Bridge and Glen Johnson, why haggle small peanuts over a player you claim you think is actually great? Pay the agents/frontmen however you want - give them a freakin sweatheart oil contract or whatever if you are worried about exposing cash or to agents whatever. Dumb f#cks.

longrufus

Established Member
Lyn only got 4million out of the deal. United got 12million. Both payments are split 50:50, half was payed when he signed, the other half wont be paid until next summer.

Grampus_Eight

DOUBLE-YOU said:
the money is not the issue. if cole goes to chelsea, £30m will not buy back what arsenal will lose.

Money is always an issue.  However good Ashley Cole is, at the end of the day he would be able to finance a lot of needed improvements to the squad.  If we were to receive £25M and actually spend it on transfers we could have bought in any number of players.  With that sum, the club could have purchased:
CB - Vincent Kompany, £5M
DM - Didier Zokora or Alou Diarra £4-7M
CM - Stephen Appiah or Yaya Toure, £6-7M
LB - Taye Taiwo £6-7

Imagine how strong our team would be this season had be bought Kompany (£5M), Taiwo (£6M), Zokora (£7M) and Appiah (£6M).  Those players would have cost around  £24M total in transfer fees.  If you don't like Appiah slide in Toure instead.  If you think that's too many players with ANC commitments, then switch Alou Diarra for Zokora and save some money too.  These players would cost us some wages, but none of them would have been big earners compared to the departed Pires, Bergkamp, Cole and Campbell.  

By the way, even though he isn't my favourite player, if Alou Diarra is available for £4M, and Song cost £2.7M, why hasn't a wire transfer been made into Lens' bank account already?   With Muamba and Larsson off on loan Song could play every week for the reserves and try to figure out how to pass the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom