• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ashley Cole (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zico

Established Member
Grampus_Eight said:
Imagine how strong our team would be this season had be bought Kompany (£5M), Taiwo (£6M), Zokora (£7M) and Appiah (£6M). Those players would have cost around £24M total in transfer fees. If you don't like Appiah slide in Toure instead. If you think that's too many players with ANC commitments, then switch Alou Diarra for Zokora and save some money too. These players would cost us some wages, but none of them would have been big earners compared to the departed Pires, Bergkamp, Cole and Campbell.

Grampus, you're spot on. But your comments also lead us to another discussion. I suspect that the Cole saga could be responsible for the lack of new senior signings at Arsenal this summer apart from Rosicky. Once Cole is sold, Wenger will know that he needs at least a (combo) left back and any other spaces he identified before. If the possibility exists to squeeze Gallas or Bridge out of Chelsea then it would've been unwise to be buying Davies at 8 -10 million. Once Cole is gone, I think Wenger will spend only half of the Chelski money and save the other half for a January signing.

Meatwad

Did Taiwo have a ridiculous growth spurt at 21 years old or something? How did he get from 5'10" to 6'3".

Grampus_Eight

Buhry said:
Grampus_Eight said:
By the way, Taye Taiwo finished the third best player in the youth world cup (behind Messi and the aforementioned Obi-Mike), but he is deemed by many here as sub-Arsenal standard).
Err, it was in fact Quincy that finished third best player in that tournament.
Back to topic though, If Chelsea want to pay us 25-30 million pounds for Ca$hley, I'd bite their hands off.

No Quincy didn't get an award. Messi = golden ball. Mikel = silver ball. Taiwo = bronze ball. Quincy did probably deserve something though. For me, he was after Messi, the outstanding player of the tournament. But he certainly didn't get an award.

"The three best from Holland '05: Nigeria's Taye Taiwo, Argentina's Lio Messi and Nigeria's John Obi Mikel.
(FIFA.com)"

Here's some photographic evidence in case you're still not convinced:

http://access.fifa.com/images/cms/fifa/messi_co.jpg

http://access.fifa.com/en/article/0,4151,116743,00.html

"In Utrecht on 2 July 2005, Messi's brilliance brought down a Nigerian outfit that was loaded with talent. Though the future of playmaker John Obi Mikel is still to be sorted, team-mate and left back Taye Taiwo has been excelling as a starter with club side Olympique Marseilles in France. In addition to wonderful defensive abilities and overwhelming brawn, his ability on set pieces and thunderous left foot have him a favourite with the sometimes-fickle Stade Velodrome faithful in the south of France."[/img]

Nickáó

Hate to say this but it's about time Ash got on his bike. This whole episode is really pissing me off, and if he's gonna go then bloody get rid of him so I don't have to see all these crappy repetitive news stories .

dos1986

Established Member
Meatwad said:
Did Taiwo have a ridiculous growth spurt at 21 years old are something? How did he get from 5'10" to 6'3".

He is NOT 6'3 but he is much more than the 5'10 which is quoted all over the net,to me he looks about 6,1 which is quite tall for a left back

kamikaze80

Established Member
taiwo's very athletic, and not bad on the ball. i'd like him for the right price considering traore is 2 years away and clichy has lingering injury concerns.

Goonergirl

That's great for us, instead of selling to Chelsea and strengthing them we could offer Cole to Real Madrid for hopefully a large sum.

Grampus_Eight

Good news indeed. While I think Cole will still head off to Chelski, this should take the transfer fee closer to the £25-30M range. Roman doesn't like to loose and he'll pay to win this one, especially after missing out on Zambrotta and Cannavaro.

A trip onto one of Abramovich's yachts, maybe the biggest one with the hidden submarine, will do a lot more for Cashley and Tweedy. Mourinho is waiting on him out in LA.

I don't think Capello will want to spend all that much on Cashley. I don't even know how highly he and the new regime rate Ash. Don't forget that Capello likes his own guys. And while Madrid might likely offer Baptista in a deal, I'm not sure I'd want the Beast unless he was re-converted to striker.

Meatwad

dos1986 said:
Meatwad said:
Did Taiwo have a ridiculous growth spurt at 21 years old or something? How did he get from 5'10" to 6'3".

He is NOT 6'3 but he is much more than the 5'10 which is quoted all over the net,to me he looks about 6,1 which is quite tall for a left back
yeah I just went to OM's website and they list him at 6 feet.

http://www.om.net/index.php?pid=108001&lng=en

That looks about right especially with that pic that Grampus posted with him standing next to Messi and Obi.

And yes 6 feet is great size for a fullback.

Ziontrain

nigeriacelebratevsghana.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/t ... sghana.jpg

Now look at Taiwo in that picture. He is WAY taller than Obafemi Martins, who is 5'7" and not much shorter than Kanu, who is 6'5 1/2".

I think he is more than 6 foot. 6'2" at least, IMO.

gunnerturk

Some Turkish papers are writing similar articles about Roberto Carlos signing for Fenerbahce. However they quote Marca, hence smells big bullshit.

I love Pascal Cygan.

gunnerturk said:
Some Turkish papers are writing similar articles about Roberto Carlos signing for Fenerbahce. However they quote Marca, hence smells big bullshit.

Marca are Real's mouthpiece.

If they are running with these stories about Carlos then they are most likely to be true.

It's only when they run stories about other teams players that you have to turn your bullshit detector on.

Sol man

It is only right that Chelsea pay an inflated amount as it was partly their fault that we are about to loose our left back.

bethie

DOUBLE-YOU said:
the money is not the issue. if cole goes to chelsea, £30m will not buy back what arsenal will lose.

funny, i thought i heard that same sentiment few years back when we sold anelka and overmarcs.

the money given to us didn't exactly buy back what we lost. it GAVE us something else NEW altogether.

just thinking about what we CAN buy with those money makes me giddy. (esp. looking at Gramp8's likely signing with 20 million or more!)
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom