• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ashley Cole (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Gooner

My opinion... a deal will not be finalized between the two clubs. Cole and Reyes to stay. It's all a wind up scheme by Jose.

Asterix

Established Member
Shadow Moses said:
http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premiership/2006-2007/sport_sto948594.shtml

everyone should take a look at the above link

very well written

Nice article Shadow - thanks for the link - I think it expresses what a lot of football fans are feeling.

Dougan17

it's absolutely ignorant to assume every player we're linked with in the papers was ever remotely close to signing for us. We've been linked with dozens, and I mean DOZENS of players this close season, and that's just taking into consideration reputable sources, not tribal football or spanish media wants to spit out next.

Arsenal supporters, and indeed, football supporters in general, pay FAR too much attention to the papers.

First of all, swap deals. When's the last time you saw a swap deal from a big club? The last time I heard of a swap deal going down was for some player in his mid 40s in Romania going for a week's supply of groceries to a rival club before he retired a day later sometime last season. They don't happen, and on the very rare occassion they do happen it's never coming from a club that can afford the fee like Chelsea can.

Second, the moaning about both the youth policy and the lack of transfers is a joke. Let me rephrase that: it's a complete ****ing joke.

Next time you get your season ticket card scanned at the shiny new Emirates Stadium, remember who built that stadium; remember whose backs the full weight of Arsenal footall club has been placed upon and carried, magnificently might I add, over the last 7 seasons to maneuver Arsenal to the point where we can afford to build such a glamorour stadium and cement our place as a big club: youth players, unknown transfer targets, and wenger's own brilliant managing of the funds of Arsenal.

Henry, Toure, Campbell, Gilberto, Vieira, Pires, Lauren, and Freddie are just recent history. How many of you stood up when you saw those names crawl across the bottom of your televisions followed by "has just signed for Arsenal" and went "yes! finally a world class signing!" (add Cole to that, although he wasnt' signed)

It's exactly the LACK of chasing pipe dream transfers, washed up former world class players, and big names we're linked with on slow news days that has brought us this far.

The two world class players at every position for chelsea is a myth. They've been EXTREMELY lucky with injuries in the last two seasons never losing Lampard, Terry, Makelele, Drogba, Cech, Robben, Cole, or any other of their key performers for any extended period of time other than perhaps Robben who only went through a bad run of injuries when the title was all but won. In that same period Arsenal and Manchester United have gone through huge injury problems while Man United and Liverpool have failed to build the complete squads necessary to challenge for the title, especially Liverpool at striker and United in the center of midfield.

These things happen though, it's part of trying to build squads and still challenge every year but until this year imo, (assuming United pick up hargreaves or another center midfielder of at least decent quality and Kuyt comes good for the reds and our injury problems subside and Cole gets settled in again) Chelsea haven't been pushed, end to end, by title-worthy teams the way Arsenal and United have been pushed by each other since 1998. Don't get me wrong. Chelsea of the last two seasons are title-worthy teams, at least close to the level of all the title winning sides of Arsenal and United, but they coasted to those titles not because they were so much better than what Arsenal and United usually muster, but because Arsenal, United, and Liverpool were so much worse than what they usually are.

harsha129

All valid points. But the reason people are getting upset is because if we, as a club, are becoming one of the 'big' clubs then we need to sign some of the immense talent available. Are you saying all of the Juve players who left are "washed up former world class players?" Clearly, they would be a major upgrade at any club. Arsenal now is very different from the Arsenal Wenger took over. After the Champions League final, fans seem entitled to the same quality signees that some of the other major clubs such as your RM, Barca, Inter sign. Frustration is the obvious emotion when you go from the high of a CL final to watching every signing pass us by and having your own best players wanting to leave. Many middle-tier team have outspent us this summer.

All that said, everyone should trust Wenger by now. He has earned that right.

Feis-al

And you think Cole will be to happy if they don't sign him. Chelsea Administrators are not some of the smartest brains if you look carefully and It may work against them if the play or fool around with Cole, AGooners. This idea of them thinking that he keeps and they get him cheaply next summer is very tricky considering the "machandise" behaviour. He can turn all of a sudden and sign a new contract just the way he decided to turn against the club

Eezyprogress

shaz said:
Grampus_Eight said:
Legend#1 said:
We're not broke, far from it.. If Wenger wanted to buy, he would have, he doesn't need money from sales, he just needs to make sure the players that were planned to be going, were actually gone.

this is exactly my point! face it guys... we're broke...why else would be need to sell players before we can actually buy them? it doesnt make sense... why are we waiting to sell cole before we get gallas or davies or whoever the f**k were supposed to be linked with.

although some people give a s**t about big name players (and we got ours this summer in rosicky), some would just like 2 or 3 other established but not necessarily big name players to ADD to the squad. this means we have a squad with cole and reyes AND some new guys.

how does one improved the squad when it losses 4-5 of its best players and then only gets 1 as a replacement? what a load of crap.

Hi Shaz,

If we did not, Abramovich F.C would quite rightly offer us a £1m quid and at some point we would be obliged to take it.

Whilst I dont think for one moment that we are broke, it just seems like good fiscal policy to not pay for what you do not use. Hence, a reduced squad size, theoretically means that everyone is "near the first team".

However, this can have the dual effect of compromising the quality of the squad.

"We can't have everything"! (Can We?) :D

Dougan17

harsha129 said:
All valid points. But the reason people are getting upset is because if we, as a club, are becoming one of the 'big' clubs then we need to sign some of the immense talent available. Are you saying all of the Juve players who left are "washed up former world class players?" Clearly, they would be a major upgrade at any club. Arsenal now is very different from the Arsenal Wenger took over. After the Champions League final, fans seem entitled to the same quality signees that some of the other major clubs such as your RM, Barca, Inter sign. Frustration is the obvious emotion when you go from the high of a CL final to watching every signing pass us by and having your own best players wanting to leave. Many middle-tier team have outspent us this summer.

All that said, everyone should trust Wenger by now. He has earned that right.

I agree, and it's always been a bit worrisome when we get outspent, but we've been getting outspent for some time now, even by midtable sides. Look at Newcastle, Sp**s are hardly new to spending in the market, Liverpool, Chelsea up until these past two seasons. They outspent us at one time or another and failed to outperform us. Money doesn't buy you a team, money buys you players, but it doesn't buy you a team.

I agree maybe we should've been in there trying to sign the likes of Cannavarro, Buffon were he really available, Zambrotta, but when you take those players into context, they're not players Wenger's going to sign. Wenger isn't going to sign a player who's already 30+ so he can go and give him a one year contract (except for Buffon, keepers have a longer shelf-life but IMO you'll see Buffon at Arsenal next summer, mark my words). And why splash out 30m for Torres and Davies when we have RVP and Djourou/Senderos? both of which, imo, are not as good as the players we currently have. Give RVP a full season as the main striker and I guarantee he gets you 20 goals, Torres has never hit the 20 goal plateau and his league goals have been dropping every year since he had that 19 goal season that put him on the map. He had 13 last season. 13 goals in a full league season with no injuries to speak of and it wasn't like he pulled a Rooney and turned provider, he just stopped scoring. Davies has had one solid season in the premiership and you want to trust him over the likes of Senderos and Djourou? Players that got you to a champions league final? It doesn't make sense, especially when you're taking about the type of money you're talking about for getting what is, at best, a minimal improvement.

The truth is we lost Vieira, and Fabregas has blossomed into one of the top young midfielders in the world and a midfielder I fully trust to lead this squad to titles this year and for years to come. We lost Dennis and we got RVP, a player who is the most technically gifted player I've ever seen at that age. We lost Overmars and got Pires. We lost Wright and got Henry. We lost Pires and we got Rosicky, one of the most coveted and respected midfield talents in the world. We lost Seaman and got Lehmann. We lost Adams and we got Campbell and now Toure. We lost Sylvinho and we got Cole. When we lose players, we replace them with, usually, what turns out to be higher quality for very minimal price. Wenger has yet to really err in his judgement of quality replacements, and I think he deserves at least a little bit of patience in this regard. (none of this is directed right at you, just the board and arsenal supporters in general, btw)

Gryphon

The truth is we lost Vieira, and Fabregas has blossomed into one of the top young midfielders in the world and a midfielder I fully trust to lead this squad to titles this year and for years to come. We lost Dennis and we got RVP, a player who is the most technically gifted player I've ever seen at that age. We lost Overmars and got Pires. We lost Wright and got Henry. We lost Pires and we got Rosicky, one of the most coveted and respected midfield talents in the world. We lost Seaman and got Lehmann. We lost Adams and we got Campbell and now Toure. We lost Sylvinho and we got Cole. When we lose players, we replace them with, usually, what turns out to be higher quality for very minimal price. Wenger has yet to really err in his judgement of quality replacements, and I think he deserves at least a little bit of patience in this regard. (none of this is directed right at you, just the board and arsenal supporters in general, btw)

well said

Fab Fabre04

shaz said:
Grampus_Eight said:
Legend#1 said:
We're not broke, far from it.. If Wenger wanted to buy, he would have, he doesn't need money from sales, he just needs to make sure the players that were planned to be going, were actually gone.

this is exactly my point! face it guys... we're broke...why else would be need to sell players before we can actually buy them? it doesnt make sense... why are we waiting to sell cole before we get gallas or davies or whoever the f**k were supposed to be linked with.

although some people give a s**t about big name players (and we got ours this summer in rosicky), some would just like 2 or 3 other established but not necessarily big name players to ADD to the squad. this means we have a squad with cole and reyes AND some new guys.

how does one improved the squad when it losses 4-5 of its best players and then only gets 1 as a replacement? what a load of crap.

Mate the 4-5 player that we lost:

1: Bergie, he didn't play that much last season and we've got RVP
2:pires: Replaced him with Rosicky
3:Fatty:Already got Senderos and Djorou and Cygan for cover. and if we sign Shillia Illiasu. And fatty didn't exactly have a tremendous season. Hoyte can play there too

The only other players we've lost are for loan.

True we're pretty thin now but we're not broke. Far from it. Don't you remember we were the club with the most profit last season. Where do you think all the 52 million went? We lost Bobby on a fre transfer. We signed Rosicky for 7m. There's no point buying a new LB if ca$hley leaves. If he doesn't we've got Mathieu Flamini, Armand Traore, Justin Hoyte and Gael Clichy for cover. True Gael is a bit injury prone and the rest are either in expieriencced or LB is not their natural position. Why slow down the progress of these youngsters? Personally if Cole leaves, i'd just sign some one on loan, but I'm not the gaffer.

I get what you're saying mate and it sounds like you're frustrated and I agree we're thin and need to buy, but I'm sure AW is looking in to it. He' s already said he's going to buy at least 2 player.

Place trust in Wenger.

harsha129

No one doubts that Wenger can put together an awesome squad given the time. All the signings you listed is valid proof of that. everyone sees the quality in this team to be the invinceables of past in a few years. But waiting for that season two years for now is proving frustrating, especially with the world's greatest striker slowly aging. Henry is at his peak now, and why not bring in some established talent as a stop gap till the Senderos, Ades etc. develop into world-class players. Thuram comes immediately to mind. His wages shouldn't be "too high" for a "big club" especially with Sol off the books.

karl

Thuram would be too old for the club and it's contract policy. He would never sign on a yearly renewal basis.

cesc18

this rumour about chelsea offering a straight swap of gallas for cole is laughable
even chelsea value cole at 16m
do they mean gallas at 29 years old with a year left is worth 16m
chelsea seem to be doing a good job of keeping cole at arsenal
maybe we should offer cygan for essien :lol:

Viper

Established Member
Cole is left out the squad for the match against Dinamo Zagreb.

Check Sky Sports News now - Wenger has confirmed he has made an offer for Gallas.

Is it me or does Wenger look a bit happy today?

cesc18

Viper said:
Check Sky Sports News now - Wenger has confirmed he has made an offer for Gallas.

Is it me or does Wenger look a bit happy today?
but that would be a separate bid
it has nothing to do with cole to chelsea ?

will wenger offer 5m for a 29 year old :D

jester

Established Member
oh boy, why is it the majority of arsenal transfer gets dragged out and dragged out?
we dont want cole, cole dont want us. if only it was that simple

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
personally, i think this is basically just a training match.. no way we will lose by more than 3 goals at home to a team we crushed in Zagreb.. we could field a virtual reserve team and walk away from this... (sorry DZ fans, but this is the truth)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom