• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ashley Cole (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Grampus_Eight said:
Ratinho said:
£5k/week what this is about, is it?

Try checking out the full story, not just the one from the papers. You're right about his need to be sold though.

It's solely Cole's issue, however if we've turned down anything like £20m~ upfront, it's a shambles.

You'll have to be a lot more specific, I've read the league's report on the breach of the rules by the player and chelsea and it as well as all the papers and the rags indicate that this mess started when Dein refused to include 5k/wk on top of what he was offering Cashley to pay Barnett's fee.

So please, do tell the full story or direct me to where I can find it as I'd like to be in the know on this.
Just check the report of PL on the colegate affair. Just read tehe first five pages.
http://www.premierleague.com/public/dow ... 3.6.05.pdf

Dein didn't reject the 5kp/w demand to Batnett. It was the board's decision.

Dein has done the right thing on Cole's transfer saga. Too many 'let's sell the grummpy one and get some cash', too many 'just sell the sod so we can get on with it'. I wonder how the club can stay and 'get on with it' if big nasty clubs like Real and Chelski keep doing this sorta things to Arsenal.

Gooner83

You pay £20-£30m for a top notch striker who gets you goals and wins games. A defender should not cost the same as that. Even if Cole is the best LB in the world £15m would be about right, £20m and i'd bite your hand off.

Whats the highest transfer fee ever been for a Defender?

qs

Established Member
Gooner83 said:
You pay £20-£30m for a top notch striker who gets you goals and wins games. A defender should not cost the same as that. Even if Cole is the best LB in the world £15m would be about right, £20m and i'd bite your hand off.

Doesnt matter. Why should we get screwed by Chelsea when they are so willing to hand out insane amounts for worse players?

Ferriera was around £17m wasn't he? Cole is miles better than him. Hence Cole should cost alot more. Add in the controversy and that Chelsea are our main ivals for the title then the price rises even higher. Add again the fact we dont have time to line up a replacement and up again it goes.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Gooner83 said:

You're forgetting we're dealing with a club that shelled out €20m for Portugal's 2nd choice right-back. Probably not even one of the top 10 right-backs in the world. If they're prepared to do that, then they should expect to pay at least twice that amount if they're going to take one of the world's top 3 left-backs from their city rivals who's yet to even reach his prime.

The £20m would not go in any of our pockets would it? Probably only a small amount of that would go into transfers and even then there are no guarantees that a new arrival would add instant value. We should have bought Khalid the cannibal for £6m and THEN negotiated for Cole's departure. As it is now, we'd need to sign a new left-back or someone with equivalent experience to replace him - not easy. This is why Wenger said a matter of days ago that this affair would be resolved by doing what's best for the club - that means not allowing ourselves to be screwed over on deadline day by Chelsea, who would laugh at the thought of weakening us further with no time to recover.

I don't get the whole 'we'd suffer from having an unsettled player in the dressing room' nonsense - Cole is one of the most highly respected players in there and everyone wants him to stay. You think he'd be discussing how he wants to leave everyday in the dressing room? He's a professional and would continue to give 110% on the pitch whilst he is an Arsenal player.

If he stays on however, he should sign a new long-term deal at the club or sold on in January to a club abroad for £10m to £15m if he still wants to leave. I would still consider that more acceptable than selling him to Chelsea for £20m (with no Gallas included) less than 48 hours before the end of the transfer window.

Gurgen

Established Member
Big Poppa, Wenger has been planning for Cole to leave all summer, don't you think he'd have a replacement lined up long before today?

That said, without Gallas the deal is not worth doing at this moment. I'd rather keep him, boo him for 6 months and sell him to another club.

qs

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
I don't get the whole 'we'd suffer from having an unsettled player in the dressing room' nonsense - Cole is one of the most highly respected players in there and everyone wants him to stay. You think he'd be discussing how he wants to leave everyday in the dressing room? He's a professional and would continue to give 110% on the pitch whilst he is an Arsenal player.

I'd go along with that. Despite Coles wanting to leave and his fued with the board he'll always put in 100% on the pitch and I dont think he'd be a posionous element within the club.

Reyes on the other hand will sulk and moan all year and isn't needed half as bad as Cole is.

R.V.P_11

Theres an interview with traore on arsenal.com and he wants to break into first team.

I hope he gets a chance, he is a better LB than hoyte

Sammer

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
Gooner83 said:

You're forgetting we're dealing with a club that shelled out €20m for Portugal's 2nd choice right-back. Probably not even one of the top 10 right-backs in the world. If they're prepared to do that, then they should expect to pay at least twice that amount if they're going to take one of the world's top 3 left-backs from their city rivals who's yet to even reach his prime.

The £20m would not go in any of our pockets would it? Probably only a small amount of that would go into transfers and even then there are no guarantees that a new arrival would add instant value. We should have bought Khalid the cannibal for £6m and THEN negotiated for Cole's departure. As it is now, we'd need to sign a new left-back or someone with equivalent experience to replace him - not easy. This is why Wenger said a matter of days ago that this affair would be resolved by doing what's best for the club - that means not allowing ourselves to be screwed over on deadline day by Chelsea, who would laugh at the thought of weakening us further with no time to recover.

If he stays on however, he should sign a new long-term deal at the club or sold on in January to a club abroad for £10m to £15m if he still wants to leave. I would still consider that more acceptable than selling him to Chelsea for £20m (with no Gallas included) less than 48 hours before the end of the transfer window.

A very good assessment of the situation in my view.

Taking the importance of high-quality LB/RB´s into account - especially with Wengerball, where you need highly skilled players in these positions, we cannot afford to get screwed over like this by Chelsea.

He won´t be my favourite player if he stays, but if performs his role as the worlds best LB again, and helps us beat ManU at Old Trafford and Chelsea at the Bridge, I might be tempted to forgive him a little :wink:

Legend#1

Established Member
"Both clubs have told Sky Sports News a deal is unlikely to take place".

Yeah, they changed their stance again.

AGooner

Glass_Heart said:
Gosh, i can't fathom the apparent madness that some of you guys are demonstrating.

20m is just not a reasonable price to let go of the BEST left back in EPL and further reinforcing your STRONGEST rival.

Unless we can get Gallas in return, it's absolute bollocks to sell Cole irrespective of the situation.

I would rather sell him for half the price to an overseas rival rather than to strengthen our domestic rival.

You seem to be under the misguided impression that he would strengthen one of our rivals?

I think, actually I know, that he would be absolute dogsh*t within a few months of joining the Chavs.

qs

Established Member
AGooner said:
Glass_Heart said:
Gosh, i can't fathom the apparent madness that some of you guys are demonstrating.

20m is just not a reasonable price to let go of the BEST left back in EPL and further reinforcing your STRONGEST rival.

Unless we can get Gallas in return, it's absolute bollocks to sell Cole irrespective of the situation.

I would rather sell him for half the price to an overseas rival rather than to strengthen our domestic rival.

You seem to be under the misguided impression that he would strengthen one of our rivals?

I think, actually I know, that he would be absolute dogsh*t within a few months of joining the Chavs.

Well done Mystic Meg.

However the rest of us here in the real world know that Cole is a highly experienced yet still young, world class full back whos played for years in English football and would undoubtedly add to Chelsea back 4, soldifying the weakest position within that 4.

But hey you say he'd be dogshit so what do we know eh.

KaiserSnake

qs said:
Gooner83 said:

Doesnt matter. Why should we get screwed by Chelsea when they are so willing to hand out insane amounts for worse players?

Ferriera was around £17m wasn't he? Cole is miles better than him. Hence Cole should cost alot more. Add in the controversy and that Chelsea are our main ivals for the title then the price rises even higher. Add again the fact we dont have time to line up a replacement and up again it goes.

Completely agree with this post. Cole is without any doubt a world-class left back and would definitely strengthen the chavs defense. The fact that its moneybags Chelsea means we were right to hold out for insane money. He is also English which means his price would be inflated in other circumstances such as Andy Johnsen going to Everton for 8.5 million :!:

I think it is worth keeping him even if his value goes down in six months or a years time, as his importance on the pitch in terms of success may be worth more than the extra money we would get at this late stage in the transfer window, when there is no time to sign a replacement to an already thin and inexperienced backline.

MUTERI

The transfers period is really frustrating especially when you are an Arsenal fan, I can't wait for the deadline...

AGooner

qs said:
AGooner said:
Glass_Heart said:

Well done Mystic Meg.

However the rest of us here in the real world know that Cole is a highly experienced yet still young, world class full back whos played for years in English football and would undoubtedly add to Chelsea back 4, soldifying the weakest position within that 4.

But hey you say he'd be dogshit so what do we know eh.

It was a joke! But remember, most pundits were saying that Bridge should start for England ahead of Cole at the time Bridge signed for the Chavs, and look what happend to the careers of Scott Parker, Damien Duff, SWP and Glen Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom