• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

If not Lehmann then who?

solthegunner

I was having a conversation about football and so the conversation went on to The Champions and who, if not Lehmann, should be between the sticks next season. As it was, nobody could come up with a clear favourite or even a dream signing for The Champions. So I though I would open the question up to this forum. I know that Frey, Nemmi and others have been linked with us but I have heard bad things about them all. So who would be the best keeper for arsenal?

asajoseph

Established Member
Well, if we're into dream signings, I'd go for Buffon first, then perhaps Valdes (from Barca), or Iker Cassillas (a little erratic, but on his day possibly the best in the world).

As for realistic targets, I'd go for Frey. He's still young (25), French so would fit in well, and hugely talented. I don't think there's any point in signing a keeper over 30, as Jens isn't so bad, so we should only be replacing him with a serious long term option...

solthegunner

Buffon was my top choice. Great keeper and has always impressed when I've seen him play. As for frey, I was very happy when we were linked with him recently but since then Iive heard bad things, not least that he was the french leymann!

asajoseph

Established Member
Yeah, I heard that too, but I'm not sure if the guy that said it really knew what he was talking about it... Well, Arsène knows, that's all I can say, his only restriction is financial. He'll get the best man for the job with the cash available 90% of the time...

arsenal4life

for the realistic targets

Timo Hieldbrand of course

the lad is unbelievable shot stoper

simply has no weaknesses

asajoseph

Established Member
Yup, has done an amazing job for Stuttgart this season, and smashed Oli Kahn's incredible record of number of minutes without conceding a goal. Excellent keeper, and a possible transfer target, as I believe that Stuttgart are a flash in the pan, and now on the wane...

Good shout mate.

I think Wenger has 2 choices

1) He can buy another experienced goalkeeper who'll be a our No1 for a year or 2, until we find a true long-term replacement of Seaman.

or

2) Wenger has to give either Staurt Taylor or Graham Stack a chance, and put one of them in goal.

Personally I would prefer Taylor was the No1, he's never let us down, Taylor has already played over 30 games from 2000 to 2003. Taylor has been blighted with injuries this season, which was a real tragedy.

If Wenger wants an experienced goalkeeper than he should get Edwin Van Der Sar, he's still 32 young

edwin_vandersar.jpg

nnn

I dont think Wnger is gonna get anonyone better then Taylor or Stack for more thne 10 miliom

KoLo28

It'll be so funny if we get a new keeper, because he'll make mistakes and you'll all want Lehmann back. You take him for granted.

Lehmann = Arsenal keeper 2004/2005

KingReyes

Established Member
solthegunner said:
As for frey, I was very happy when we were linked with him recently but since then Iive heard bad things, not least that he was the french leymann!

The french Lehmann?? Why? Does he beat the crap out of players on the pitch?

gypped

I think we should give it to Stack. He's impressed me, and I think under the careful tutelage of our excellent goalkeeping coaches, he could do well.

A

Anonymous

Nemmi and others have been linked with us but I have heard bad things about them all
dont know what bad things you would of heard about niemi. i think he is the best keeper in england by FAR, and one of the best in europe. i have also read the southampton president has given us the go ahead to talk to niemi, estimated at 5million pounds, NOW THATS A BARGAIN.
the best keepers in the world in my opinion are...
1. kahn
2. buffon
3. toldo
4. niemi
5. friedal (maybe)
thats just my personal opinion, but i dont think anyone can argue with kahn,buffon and toldo being the top 3 in the world in any order.
i work with goalkeepers, i train young lads and look to develop them. i have to study technique, consistancy etc etc. and i would say stack is a quality keeper and also taylor. i would prefer to give one of them the chance next season. but i would be happy to get niemi, especially seeing how cheap he is.

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001

Latest posts

Top Bottom