• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Zico

Established Member
A whole lot of Dutchmen. I was happy to see my man vd Vaart dancing like a ballerina. Give me that guy and Nasri, and our attack will have fireworks. He has had health issues, but he played a full season and was able to start ahead of RVP, who is still an injury worry.

As for Barry, he's expensive, but he's a certified leader at both Villa and England. We need a few more leaders who will prevent the types of collapses we face almost every year with Wenger's team. As Toure said, this team lost a little bit of heart. More characters like Barry would've nipped that malaise in the bud. I think an inability to build teams around natural leaders is one of Wenger's big weaknesses.

GaelForce22

Established Member
quincy42 said:
A whole lot of Dutchmen. I was happy to see my man vd Vaart dancing like a ballerina. Give me that guy and Nasri, and our attack will have fireworks. He has had health issues, but he played a full season and was able to start ahead of RVP, who is still an injury worry.

As for Barry, he's expensive, but he's a certified leader at both Villa and England. We need a few more leaders who will prevent the types of collapses we face almost every year with Wenger's team. As Touré said, this team lost a little bit of heart. More characters like Barry would've nipped that malaise in the bud. I think an inability to build teams around natural leaders is one of Wenger's big weaknesses.

Exactly.

Did you read Gallas' profile of each player. For most of them he said "is quiet in the dressing room." I can only imagine Gallas and Gilberto really talking in the dressing room. I think that while some sides like Chelsea and Barcelona probably have too many bigs egos to function in a unit, we need a few more. Barry is a leader and an excellent player as well. A mix between Hargreaves, Carrick and Gilberto IMO.

Zico

Established Member
GaelForce, I was watching last night's game between Netherlands and Italy. Those teams were coached by Marco Van Basten and Roberto Donadoni respectively, two former teammates on that great Milan team coached by Sacchi. Rijkaard and Ancelotti, both on that team, have gone on to coach Champions League winners, while Gullit has also had some success as a coach.

There is a often a relationship between dressing room leadership and coaching; not necessarily that dressing room leaders will become coaches, but that coaches played a leadership role in their playing days. I do not think that the greatness of that Milan team and the subsequent successful coaching careers of its stars is a coincidence. I honestly cannot see any of our current squad graduating into coaching, nor do I see many of them as natural leaders.

I think what this chasm in dressing room leaders does is focus too much attention on Wenger as a leader; putting pressure on him to not only coach but to motivate players. Get me guys like Barry, Senna, Dunne. They may not be as exciting as a Nasri, but they bring gravity, experience and leadership to a dressing room that is sorely lacking in that area.

ibby

Established Member
GaelForce22 said:
Exactly.

Did you read Gallas' profile of each player. For most of them he said "is quiet in the dressing room." I can only imagine Gallas and Gilberto really talking in the dressing room. I think that while some sides like Chelsea and Barcelona probably have too many bigs egos to function in a unit, we need a few more. Barry is a leader and an excellent player as well. A mix between Hargreaves, Carrick and Gilberto IMO.

In a FourFourTwo interview with Isaiah Osbourne he said that Barry is actually pretty quiet.

GaelForce22

Established Member
quincy42 said:
GaelForce, I was watching last night's game between Netherlands and Italy. Those teams were coached by Marco Van Basten and Roberto Donadoni respectively, two former teammates on that great Milan team coached by Sacchi. Rijkaard and Ancelotti, both on that team, have gone on to coach Champions League winners, while Gullit has also had some success as a coach.

There is a often a relationship between dressing room leadership and coaching; not necessarily that dressing room leaders will become coaches, but that coaches played a leadership role in their playing days. I do not think that the greatness of that Milan team and the subsequent successful coaching careers of its stars is a coincidence. I honestly cannot see any of our current squad graduating into coaching, nor do I see many of them as natural leaders.

I think what this chasm in dressing room leaders does is focus too much attention on Wenger as a leader; putting pressure on him to not only coach but to motivate players. Get me guys like Barry, Senna, Dunne. They may not be as exciting as a Nasri, but they bring gravity, experience and leadership to a dressing room that is sorely lacking in that area.

Good calls. I think those three would sure us up defensively but Wenger will never by Senna because of his age. Even as squad players you can see those three adding a lot to the squad on different levels.

Do you think that it may be a problem in such a multi-national dressing room that players find it harder to communicate? I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IcjiCPmnwk I look at that and wonder, do the team know what he is saying? Whatever language they speak in, at least half the side may be left out. How would Eduardo ask Cesc on the pitch to go in the space he creates? When Arsène talks tactics does he have to get Senderos to translate to everyone later? I may be way off but basic you wonder if our dressing room lacks communication.

And if what you say is right Ibby, that would go against my points. I still think Barry would bring a lot to this team, but if he is more of a 'lead by example' character he wouldn't fill the gaps in the squad that we've got.

raidersoftheark

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
I really like the look of Ibrahim Affelay.

He had no business shootting from that angle, but credit to him, it was a magnificent effort.

I like him too.

I also thing De Jong would be an excellent choice to partner Fabregas

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

quincy42 said:
Intersting point but I disagree.
If anything, leadership qualities is one thing Wenger looks for when bringing in a player.
Quite a few of our players were captain at youth, national and even at club level.
Probably why Wenger persists with bringing in young players as he doesn't see the point in bring in someone who may have a strong character, but lacks the neccasary technique to play for us.
The problem is more with age,experience and even injuries rather than leadership qualities in my opinion.

quincy42 said:
This however I definately agree with. Especially with bringing in the players in bold- they could offer all those things yo mentioned now and not 3 years down the line.
Unfortunately, these are Players I can't see at Arsenal under Wenger.
Unless they literally came for free and urgently replacing somebody.

kamikaze80

Established Member
i think theres something to what quincy42 said. we have a bunch of guys who are captains of their U19 sides - better than nothing but being the most mature of a bunch of 19 yr old guys is like being the smarter lohan sister. we lost the one guy who might coach someday (flamini), and lost bergkamp and adams some time ago.

that said, its not as if united or chelsea are full of cerebral future managers, either. i'd be shocked if any of the united players has ever read a book. i suppose john terry will be guaranteed a managing job if he wants one but so is alan shearer - thats just england for you.

Zico

Established Member
Kamikaze, I'd expect to see that fool Neville head into management. I can also see Giggs or Scholes taking, at least, coaching roles at Old Trafford. Of players who had significant time under Ferguson, already Bruce, Keane, Hughes have all proceeded to manage Premier League clubs.

I do think that a manager plays a big role in producing future managers - in the types of players he picks for his squad and the influence he has on them during their days under him. Of course, the men I have mentioned are largely older, but amongst the Arsenal players from a similar era under Wenger or Graham, the only player I see with any form of advancement is Tony Adams.

As for Chelsea, it's difficult to think of a real period of stability in management in the recent past, so it would be difficult to imagine that process of apprenticeship taking place. I think if Mourinho had stayed longer, he might have been able to cultivate some future managers. He really has a fantastic relationship with players who buy into him.

Zico

Established Member
Back to the Wish-List, Arsenal fans should offially abandon any desires for David Villa Sanchez. That striking masterclass he treated us to last night will catapult him ahead of Drogba and Eto'o in the orgy that is Europe's biggest clubs' chase for a striker. Expect Inter, AC, Barca, Chelsea or even United to get him for £25 million plus. Top, top man!

Zico

Established Member
burnsjed said:
I thought we were selling Ade for £32m, so £25m should be easily within our budget! :angel

If Milan offered 32 million pounds for Adebayor, Wenger would probably drive the lad over to San Siro himself, and throw in Eboue while he's at it.

GunneDown

quincy42 said:
burnsjed said:
I thought we were selling Ade for £32m, so £25m should be easily within our budget! :angel

If Milan offered 32 million pounds for Adebayor, Wenger would probably drive the lad over to San Siro himself, and throw in Eboue while he's at it.

haha!

I want to see Van Persie perform, that would be a good signing...

guinertron

32 million for Adebayor, hahahaha Wenger should have stuck him on the jet with Ramsey and got him a coach ticket from Switzerland.

Give me Villa...

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
GaelForce22 said:
[
Did you read Gallas' profile of each player. For most of them he said "is quiet in the dressing room."
Link please?

Kraig

Established Member
well i think we can kiss any remaining hopes of getting david villa now. quality finish from him again today and his price is gonna sky rocket. should have signed him up before the euro's. we once again miss out on a quality player (who has stated he wants to play for arsenal) as we'll be outpriced.

Vibe

Villa is a superb striker but we are not missing out on anything. There is already a vast array of top quality strikers at our disposal and we can win competitions with them.

Kraig

Established Member
Vibe said:
Villa is a superb striker but we are not missing out on anything. There is already a vast array of top quality strikers at our disposal and we can win competitions with them.

yes. many a time i have watched young nicolas and thought "hmmmm, he looks as clinical as david villa..."

i know who i would pick given the choice, in fact, if he was here he'd be our 2nd on the team sheet after cesc.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom