• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

mo50

Established Member
I cant believe its July 6 and we haven't signed anyone. None of our signings will have had a full preseason at this rate.

ebouenolike

Established Member
mo50 said:
I cant believe its July 6 and we haven't signed anyone. None of our signings will have had a full preseason at this rate.

images

Sorry.

Gervinho soon though, it seems like one or two teams need to make a signing for others to start. The 25 man rule means that no team wants to be packing their team just yet.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
ebouenolike said:
mo50 said:

images

Sorry.

Gervinho soon though, it seems like one or two teams need to make a signing for others to start. The 25 man rule means that no team wants to be packing their team just yet.

I am frustrated like everyone else here, but I see no rush to make a move.

Let the big clubs go out and spend stupid money and inflated wages on the players, with each driving the price up for each other.

Once that has settled, then we can prod along doing business. If we were to go out and bid €20million for Cahill as soon as the season ended, no doubt that Manchester United would of thrown €25million, then City would have guzumped both and placed €30million on the table.

We have to just let it settle, be patient and wait for the clubs with unlimited resources to leave the market. In reality, other then Ashley Young and Phil Jones, no players have left that we would consider as reasonable targets.

All the talk has been Neymar, Henderson, De Gea, Sanchez, etc.

P_Gunner

Cudareli said:
ebouenolike said:
mo50 said:

images

Sorry.

I am frustrated like everyone else here, but I see no rush to make a move.

Let the big clubs go out and spend stupid money and inflated wages on the players, with each driving the price up for each other.

Once that has settled, then we can prod along doing business.
If we were to go out and bid €20million for Cahill as soon as the season ended, no doubt that Manchester United would of thrown €25million, then City would have guzumped both and placed €30million on the table.

We have to just let it settle, be patient and wait for the clubs with unlimited resources to leave the market. In reality, other then Ashley Young and Phil Jones, no players have left that we would consider as reasonable targets.

All the talk has been Neymar, Henderson, De Gea, Sanchez, etc.

Question, in all your years of watching football have you ever seen that happen? Have you ever seen the prices for players lower as the transfer market goes on? The only time I have seen the price for a player fall as the transfer market goes on is when clubs lose interest in the player or have a problem selling him. Generally you pay the highest prices of all when you wait till the end - when you wait until its too late for the selling club to get a replacement.

The only advantage of waiting it out is hoping that a currently settled player at a club becomes unsettled due to new competition - much like a Benzema situation. Don't expect general player prices to fall though.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
P_Gunner said:
Question, in all your years of watching football have you ever seen that happen? Have you ever seen the prices for players lower as the transfer market goes on? The only time I have seen the price for a player fall as the transfer market goes on is when clubs lose interest in the player or have a problem selling him. Generally you pay the highest prices of all when you wait till the end - when you wait until its too late for the selling club to get a replacement.

The only advantage of waiting it out is hoping that a currently settled player at a club becomes unsettled due to new competition - much like a Benzema situation. Don't expect general player prices to fall though.

No, but this is the first year the market has been shaped the way that it has.

Manchester City have endless money and are in the Champions Leauge. Chelsea have a new manager and are willing to break the bank to bring talent in. AC Milan finally have tasted success again and along with Inter, are beginning to become an attractive option. Barcelon are spending money they can't afford but can attract any player they wish. And to make matters worse, Real Madrid are out of the Galactico phase and now prepared to sign any player, for top dollar, that they feel will come in and do a job, regardless of whether they are world class.

Then you have the teams below like Malaga, Tottenham and Liverpool that are all prepared to throw stupid cash into short term signings that can completley blow a players value out of the water.

This year, we need to wait for it to settle. We showed interets in Alvarez, then half of Europe followed. We need to identify our targets and wait for the top clubs with unlimited resources to leave before making out moves. The Cahill example is the best i can think of, but the same applies to almost anyone.

I almost feel as though Wengers eye for spotting talent has become his own downfall, because it seems as thought clubs follow his every movement in the market :wink:

Anzac

Established Member
I disagree - you identify your targets and go for it = if you miss out because of silly money you move to your Plan B options.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Anzac said:
I disagree - you identify your targets and go for it = if you miss out because of silly money you move to your Plan B options.

None of our targets have moved yet, other then Phil Jones who i think Wenger was hoping stayed where he was for another season and Alvarez who as i said in a previous topic, i believe was going to be bought in if we kept the squad together.

There is no sense in football anymore. You have complete idiots running the major clubs in England, Italy and Spain. Sensible movement in the market doesn't exist anymore and teams can sign a heap of players that aren't even needed.

If we end up getting Cahill, i think a massive reason is that we waited for Manchester City to leave the market before doing so. Look at Phil Jones, we weren't interested until United bidded, then we were forced to make a rush move. Had United of waited till we left the market, they would of had nothing to worry about (turned out to be that way anyway).

outlaw_member

Established Member
Conversely, waiting around allows other clubs ample time to get their priorities straightened and pursue players who they might not have a month earlier. For instance, Chelsea had been busy searching for a new manager for over a month prior to the appointment of Vilas-Boas. During that time, we might have been able to swoop in for Cahill without them getting involved, as they had other greater issues to deal with. Now that they've finally settled down with a new manager, they might find Cahill an attractive option and worth going after, thus making our inertia completely futile.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
outlaw_member said:
Conversely, waiting around allows other clubs ample time to get their priorities straightened and pursue players who they might not have a month earlier. For instance, Chelsea had been busy searching for a new manager for over a month prior to the appointment of Vilas-Boas. During that time, we might have been able to swoop in for Cahill without them getting involved, as they had other greater issues to deal with. Now that they've finally settled down with a new manager, they might find Cahill an attractive option and worth going after, thus making our inertia completely futile.

Works both ways i guess.

My hope is that we have our targets sorted, but won't move for them until the other rich clubs sort themselves out. If a player we want is targeted, i'm hoping we will be forced to act.

Floating

Established Member
As long as we're looking at leftbacks, I wouldn't mind exploring the Bundesliga. Marcell Jansen and Benedikt Howedes (mainly a CB but like Vermaelen, can play both positions well) are both quality.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Jansen has stagnated in recent seasons.
He's had his best performances (very rarely) for Hamburg on the left wing.

Don't know how well he can adapt to the Premier League as left back.

Floating

Established Member
Fair enough, I've mostly only seen him play for Germany, where his build and crossing has impressed me. Any standout LB's in the Bundesliga that you'd recommend?

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Marcel Schmelzer from Dortmund is someone I'd consider.
Took over from Dedé there the season before last (who was one of the best LBs in the Bundesliga over the last decade) which says alot, because Dedé was, despite his age, still a decent enough LB.
Quite sure they wouldn't sell him though, not below 15 or so Mill.

Apart from that, there're other good LBs as well (e.g. Fuchs from Mainz now Schalke, Kadlec from Leverkusen) but none as young and promising as Schmelzer, as far as I remember of course.

Floating

Established Member
Schmelzer's Wiki picture is ultimate! How does he compare to the other LB's we're being heavily linked with (Cissokho, Enrique, Baines)?

454px-Marcel_schmelzer.jpg

Vela

Established Member
Striker/Winger (Bendtner replacement) - Gervinho
New LB - ?
New CB - ?

Fabregas and Nasri to stay.

SuperStar

I wouldn't mind Isla and Vidal from Chile. Both would be improvements on what we currently have, and I believe Isla can play both right and left back.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Watched Vidal for Chile, looks good alright.

I hear Juve are linked, and they are desperate to bring in some 'big names' that they promised the fans. Aguero seems like a no go with Atletico looking for over 40m so it seems they might move for Vidal and Rossi.

Problem for everyone now is that Vidal's price is rising fast.

ricky1985

Established Member
I watched him too, Fabo. Was impressed, looks both a really good and really intelligent footballer. Few little things that were a cause for concern, but generally I was very impressed.

fabo

6.51 / 10
First time watching him closely but I want him bad!

I keep saying this, but I think Diaby is the reason no CM will come in. Wenger absolutely loves him.

ricky1985

Established Member
I'd like to think Vidal could come in and displace Song. I think he'd be awesome in the holding role in our team, he reads the game like a dream, was so impressed with that aspect of his game. Also more than a good enough footballer to play next to Jack in Song's more dynamic box-to-box role. On the face of it, he looks to have just about everything I'd put on a checklist for the defensively minded midfielder I think we badly, badly need.

Top Bottom