• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

qs

Established Member
Well it'd hardly be a wish list if he left Gibbs in the side :p

Anyway I like that side, even leaving out Baines. I think now that we're selling both Cecs and Nasri there's no reason we shouldn't go for someone like Rossi. Jadson looks good, Mata is a like for like replacement for Nasri but we need another big star at the club and most of all we desperately need a forward. He'd be perfect, we'd be a step up for him and while he'd expensive he shouldn't be beyond our means given all the players we're selling.

run

ricky1985 said:
So none of Cahill, Jagielka, De Rossi, Mata, Hazard and Benzema float your boat? Not exactly a poor list for my money.

Only Cahill and Mata were ON the first page when I posted that... and while I wouldn't be unhappy about either of them, they don't exactly Thrill me.

Now spending our Cesc/Nasri money on some combination of Jagielka, De Rossi, Hazard and Benzema. That wouldn't be depressing at all.

A little unrealistic though...since if I remember right, we splurged our Adebayor/Toure haul on mostly improved contracts for **** like Diaby, Bendtner, etc.

I don't have my hopes up.

outlaw_member

Established Member
truth_hurts said:
outlaw_member said:
I just realised how crazy myself and many others were when we stated a desire to see Arshavin play behind the striker. How we could ever build an attack around that fat, and flaky Russian is now beyond me.

Because he can spot a pass and isn't afraid to shoot, also gets in some great positions. How energetic was Riquelme at Villareal?

The SS role by nature is one of fleeting moments. You can make space for a peripheral attacker like that if you've got a very strong team built around him, as then it'd be perfectly fine when the player is inevitably quiet for large chunks of the game. The older Bergkamp is a perfect example who'd come to life in moments, but was not a commanding or influential figure. It didn't matter, though, because Henry, Pires and Vieira would be the main attackers. However, the older Bergkamp wouldn't have survived in our current team, because the team around him wouldn't have been half as strong, and as such, his lack of involvement would have been a massive problem.

Someone like Fabregas who was influential and constantly involved, was not able to elevate the quality of the team, so a peripheral player would have been doomed for failure. Arshavin would be fine if we had top players around him, as then he can go missing and it wouldn't matter. However, we don't have that luxury, and any player who will assume the SS/AM role will have to be very key to our team. SS's now have to be very involved, as you cannot afford to have such a player, unless he is a cog amongst some really superb players. Rooney is probably the only true SS around, and it only works because his hard running keeps him constantly involved the game.

Anzac

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
truth_hurts said:
outlaw_member said:
I just realised how crazy myself and many others were when we stated a desire to see Arshavin play behind the striker. How we could ever build an attack around that fat, and flaky Russian is now beyond me.

Because he can spot a pass and isn't afraid to shoot, also gets in some great positions. How energetic was Riquelme at Villareal?

The SS role by nature is one of fleeting moments. You can make space for a peripheral attacker like that if you've got a very strong team built around him, as then it'd be perfectly fine when the player is inevitably quiet for large chunks of the game. The older Bergkamp is a perfect example who'd come to life in moments, but was not a commanding or influential figure. It didn't matter, though, because Henry, Pires and Vieira would be the main attackers. However, the older Bergkamp wouldn't have survived in our current team, because the team around him wouldn't have been half as strong, and as such, his lack of involvement would have been a massive problem.

Someone like Fabregas who was influential and constantly involved, was not able to elevate the quality of the team, so a peripheral player would have been doomed for failure. Arshavin would be fine if we had top players around him, as then he can go missing and it wouldn't matter. However, we don't have that luxury, and any player who will assume the SS/AM role will have to be very key to our team. SS's now have to be very involved, as you cannot afford to have such a player, unless he is a cog amongst some really superb players. Rooney is probably the only true SS around, and it only works because his hard running keeps him constantly involved the game.

If you're looking for a SS then RVP is better suited IMO. I wonder if it would work to play Chamakh as lone stirker to lead the line with RVP, Gervinho etc from behind - just that we'd have no depth at all.

Anzac

Established Member
As or replacement players etc - I want us first & foremost to establish a foramtion, pattern & style that best suits our resources, and then BALANCE the team accordingly rather than look to replace a position/role/type of player/s.

Saw an interesting article on the LFC summer signings - Downing, Adams & Co all had higher than average stats for effective crossing, opportunities created, key passes, pass completion, assists etc. The LFC strategy has been to overlaod their squad with players to create more opportunities, and with Carroll & Suarez they no longer have their goal scoring eggs in 1 basket & have creativity, variety & quality. It's the sum of their parts as opposed to any individual brilliance as at City re Tevez/Silva last season.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Anzac.

An attack of Gervinho-van Persie-Walcott is perfectly balanced, in comparison to the Arshavin/Nasri-van Persie-Walcott front three of last season. As you obviously know, the LFW role was being occupied by a creative wide player, the CF by a creative CF, and the RFW by a runner. Too much creativity in that front three, and not enough off the ball runners. Our new front three has the RFW and LFW being occupied by runners, and the CF by a creative striker. So the ratio of creators;runners in the front three has gone from 2:1 to 1:2, which is far more balanced for what is required in the attack.

The midfield does need to be addressed, though, and we need to find a balance between offensive and defensive midfielder's.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
outlaw_member said:
The midfield does need to be addressed, though, and we need to find a balance between offensive and defensive midfielder's.
Yep, which is why I don't want to see Mata and Jadson come in. One or the other + a DM/B2B. And a CB (atm, Jagielka)

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
outlaw_member said:
truth_hurts said:
outlaw_member said:

Top post. I agree and disagree as I don't feel Arshavin is as static as people think it is just the way he has become since being isolated on that left side. It is true however that we would need to become much more of a solid team defensively to support/accommodate a SS; however this was the case with Cesc still here!

mistaT

Established Member
Tevez - Walcott
-----RVP-------
Wilshere - Ramsey
-----Song------
Gibbs-Verm-Cahill-Sagna
------Szcensy---------

The diamond!!

ebouenolike

Established Member
Really? I know little. I like that he shoots from distance and is mobile, but I'm not so keen on another small midfielder to be honest.

run

ibby said:
Carlos ******* Tevez!

Ha! I saw that **** in the Sun too...so how bout this:

Rvp TEVEZ GERVINHO

Ramsey MASCHERANO Wilshere

Gibbs Verm CAHILL Sagna

WS

Bench: Theo, Arshavin, JADSON, Song, Chamakh, Kos, GK

This absurdly improbable lineup is, of course, based on the idea we use the Cesc/Nasri transfers to extort cheap transfer fees for the two Argentines out of Barca/Man ****ty.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom