• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
@ macca - agreed.

@ DJ - Chamakh isn't important, its just an idea to get our back-up striker some games so he doesn't come in having played only 40 minutes in the previous month. This would be my alternative if we can't find a player who can play wide and up front alone equally as good (not many players around can). I don't want us to switch from 4-3-3 only for certain games.

Would like to see it tried with Walcott now that you mention it. We could easily go 4-4-2 for home games v the likes of Wigan and Wolves.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
hesham said:
442 is dead, we've finaly got a settled side/formula, last thing we would want to do is change it.

I'm not saying change it, i just think a bit of flexibility at times wouldn't be a bad thing. 4-4-2 is used regularly by Utd and even City this season, it can be very effective against teams that you will dominate possession against.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We even used 4-4-2 towards the end of last season when we were trailing and looked much better for the change, i.e WBA (a). Although that was more of a 4-2-4.

mo50

Established Member
I thought that game at the Cottage was a small glimpse at life without Fabregas with us playing a 4-4-2.

I'd definitely be in favour of using two strikers in some home games. Right now our back up strikers have a total of what, 4 starts? Which is ridiculous considering RvP's injury record.

At this point I don't even trust any other CF option to play any minutes. Put Walcott up top in case the unthinkable happens.

Anzac

Established Member
If we're talking formations then I vote for an assymetric 4231 so as to accomodate our 3 role midfield. Alternatively we could set it up as any of a 4411 / 433 / 451 / 424 just by changing the roles or the players without needing to change the positions on the pitch.

Glovegun

Established Member
More than midfielders I think we're in a need of a striker more than anything. I don't think we're a one man team, but we are when it comes to sticking the ball in the back of the net. If Robin does get injured or has an off day I don't really see where the goals are going to come from.

Podolski seems like a possibility, although I was very impressed with Lewandowski on Wednesday night. He could probably play up top on his own or with Robin if need be.

Who's out there?

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
If we fail to bid for the likes of Gotze or Hazard I would love to see Wenger going for Hoillet in the January transfer window. He could make an instant impact, is PL adjusted and can play as a striker or on the wings. He's got pace and is very direct, I remember Sagna struggled against him which tells a lot about Hoillet.

And he'll be in the last 6 months of his contract so he'll be fairly cheap IMO.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Doesn't strike me as someone who could lead the line tbh.

Actually how good is Podolski at leading the line? Only ever seen him play LWF or beside a striker so while we all say he's versatile, what is he like exactly up front on his own? Doesn't Novakovic play up top for Koln?

Btw, tonight is a good chance to see 2 of the German boys (Podolski and Reus) mentioned on here a lot, Koln v Munchengladbach is on tonight. Though i'd reccommmend Udinese v Roma :mrgreen:

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Podolski leading the line?

Tough question, as he does play behind Novakovic or on the wings at Köln and as far as I remember, never played as a lone forward for Germany either (or at least often enough to judge him).

Started his career as a striker in 2. Bundesliga for Köln, but if memory serves me right, never as a lone one up front.

ebouenolike

Established Member
mavelous said:
Are you guys wanting a striker that will play only when RvP isn't playing? that's sorta wasteful.

I want the type of striker who can play both wide and up front. Like a Balotelli or Aguero.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
ebouenolike said:
mavelous said:
Are you guys wanting a striker that will play only when RvP isn't playing? that's sorta wasteful.

I want the type of striker who can play both wide and up front. Like a Balotelli or Aguero.

or Reus. he's supposedly capable of playing SS ala Aguero at City. or would that take away from RvP's game. it could also undermine our ball retention in the middle, unless we have benayoung or chambo drifting in from the wings. then you'd have Reus, Rvp, and Walcott/Gervinho was intelligent movement upfront. i just wish people would describe the qualities of a player and the nuances of them fitting into our gameplan.

Can we discuss Gourcuff? i'll start it off. he seems incredibly slow.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
ebouenolike said:
mavelous said:

This. Throws Pato's name into the hat.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
truth_hurts said:
ebouenolike said:
mavelous said:

This. Throws Pato's name into the hat.

His qualities being....? (besides the dreamy looking brazilian of course)

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Pato:

Very direct, 2 footed, quick, great first touch, excellent dribbling, good finisher and can play across the forward line. Only drawback is his injury record but we have Theo and RVP so can hardly chastise him for that.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Defo want a winger brought in, in Jan. Also wouldn't mind us getting another attacking midfielder if it means getting rid of the dead weight, Rosicky, Arshavin and Chamakh.

Latest posts

Top Bottom