• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

kopzilla

Always Negative
I wish we had an experienced and proven striker like Miroslav Klose.

I know that he wasn't that good for Bayern Munich but he was excellent for Germany a few years ago.

He would have been a better buy than Chamakh and not too expensive as well.

He isn't that flamboyant striker than everyone wants but can score important goals when things aren't going to well.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Glovegun said:
We needed a striker anyway, AND Thierry to replace Gervinho during the ACN. It's an absolute must, because at the minute I'm getting a distinct whiff of previous seasons. A fragile squad in need of reinforcements makes it through January without any injuries, we don't sign anyone, and once Feb hits we lose key players in the area of the squad in which we're weakest.

Yeah, I do get that feeling too.

IMO we won't buy anyone significant in January, Henry would be a luxury signing at this stage, I doubt he can play wide in our system now and would only play cup games/a back-up role to RVP in the CF position.

We'll see how much ambition we really have in January considering we'll be struggling in the full-back and forward areas, plus have a packed squad carrying many, many duds and leeches.

Herbas

Anyone had a look at Montpellier's Olivier Giroud? A friend suggested him, saying he is a top scorer in France at the moment, strong, good header with great balance, fairly technical. How would he fit our team?

AFC-Phil

Established Member
If we do sign a CF, it'll probably be a linking CF, not a No.9. Out of the last two CFs we've signed, neither of Park or Chamakh are No.9 players, so Wenger clearly sees our CF role as a linking role.

So any poacher type CFs are pretty mcuh ruled out.

spartandre217

Established Member
He's a decent player, not much of a creator from what I've seen. More of a finisher and doesn't seem to have THAT much to his game, though it must be said that I've only watched a game and a couple highlights.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Would rather go for Darren Bent in that case, don't trust these Ligue 1 lumps to do the business in England.

Phil, the point on the 'CF position as a link role' is interesting, and why I believe Chamakh is getting bench time ahead of Park despite looking like a pub player for a year. Not that I think Park will pull up any trees either.

spartandre217

Established Member
Park is more a finisher and less of a hold up play, take a beating and bring others into the game while still finishing.

Likely doesn't have the strength or stamina to do that. Our CF's role is damn demanding.

Danni

Darren Bent would be good signing for Arsenal, but Villa won't sell for anything less than £20 million. It's similar to Demba Ba, who would also be a quality addition to the squad, but would cost an absolute fortune to bring in. A striker is a must, and he doesn't need to be less talented than Robin van Persie, or necessarily be back up. We should be buying players who could improve our squad significantly. Lavezzi could do a great job here at Arsenal, as could many other top strikers in Europe.

Clarkey

Put myself through about half hour of a Talksport show last night because they were chatting Arsenal, and the presenter on there whose name escapes me was obsessed with Bent and how Arsène should be snapping him up. Talk of us being the right fit, him being a Gooner yadda yadda, he was like a rabid dog when Gab Marcotti (co-host) put any doubts into proceedings. All it got me thinking was that wouldn't Arsène be more inclined to go for Abdonlahor or even Delfounso? I have seen barely anything of Delfounso so can't really comment on him, but if available Gabby could be a good alternative to Podolski should cost not be an issue, and more flexible to play as on LW as opposed to Bent.

Edit: This is purely if we were to spend January cheering up McLeish with a bout of Villa poaching.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Don't think Delfouneso will amount to anything special really, he used to be good on FIFA though.

Gabby is too inconsistent for me, at least Bent is a proven PL goalscorer. I think he'd do damage in a side that creates plenty of chances, and I really don't think Villa will recoup whatever they paid for him at this point. For anything over 15m, I wouldn't go for him tbh.

Don't think Ba is worth ridiculous money either, even though he's hot right now.

Vela

Established Member
Clarkey said:
Put myself through about half hour of a Talksport show last night because they were chatting Arsenal, and the presenter on there whose name escapes me was obsessed with Bent and how Arsène should be snapping him up. Talk of us being the right fit, him being a Gooner yadda yadda, he was like a rabid dog when Gab Marcotti (co-host) put any doubts into proceedings. All it got me thinking was that wouldn't Arsène be more inclined to go for Abdonlahor or even Delfounso? I have seen barely anything of Delfounso so can't really comment on him, but if available Gabby could be a good alternative to Podolski should cost not be an issue, and more flexible to play as on LW as opposed to Bent.

Edit: This is purely if we were to spend January cheering up McLeish with a bout of Villa poaching.

I listen to a bit of that yesterday, Marcotti basically showed why Arsenal won't sign someone like Darren Bent.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Podolski, cheaper, younger and will give us versatility. Huntelaar could potentially be that fox in the box though.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
Two "big club flops" that have showed extreme promise elsewhere

I'd favour Podolski, given his versatility to play out wide.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom