• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

McIntyre

Established Member
musicmonkey said:
Green would be a good move, personally though i'm not too fussed who we take on as second choice as long as they're decent. At the end of the day there's only one club with a good second choice keeper and that's United. We're simply not going to get the ideal, experienced, quality 2nd keeper that many here want.

Well, this is the thing. I think it's fair to say that we haven't had a decent second choice keeper in a long long while. And at times over the years it has cost us; or at least it has prevented us from giving our first choice a break from the firing line when things aren't going for them.

From what I can gather Fabianski is on around £40-50k a week.

Given that Rob Green would be free, and is currently demanding wages not much beyond what we're paying Fabianski, it wouldn't be a problem money-wise.

Plus, the fact that we could offer him action at the top table in the Champions League, and the potential for silverware rather than a constant relegation battle, then he might be willing to spend some time on the bench and compete with Szczesny for No.1 spot.

Again, I'm just putting it out there, but it seems like a bit of a no-brainer to me if Fabianski is on his way out. Green is free and if they could bash out the personal terms then he could maybe be a good signing.

If there are better options out there then I'd love to hear them, because right now I don't know who would replace Fabianski.

musicmonkey

Established Member
There's been no news on Craig Gordon recently too, wouldn't mind him. and bloody hell £40-50k a week for Fabianski! I'd heard £25k thrown around but if he's near those sums then there really is something wrong with the club.

Floating

Established Member
musicmonkey said:
There's been no news on Craig Gordon recently too, wouldn't mind him. and bloody hell £40-50k a week for Fabianski! I'd heard £25k thrown around but if he's near those sums then there really is something wrong with the club.

He was arguably destined for the number 1 role, but Szczesny beat him to it. £40-50k a week is very reasonable for a first choice keeper.

GDeep™

League is very weak
We can rule Gordon out I think, with the amount of injury issues he's had in recent years it would be too big a gamble to bring him here as a number 2.

McIntyre

Established Member
Floating said:
He was arguably destined for the number 1 role, but Szczesny beat him to it. £40-50k a week is very reasonable for a first choice keeper.

Exactly. I'm just going off what I'm finding online. Fabianski signed in 2007 but supposedly his contract was extended in 2009 and he got bumped up to around £45k, presumably because he was being groomed to take over Almunia's No.1 spot.

But he blew it, Szczesny stepped in, and he's still draining the pot on the wages of a no.1 keeper.

The question is that, if we've been paying Almunia and Fabianski over £100k a week combined to be useless and/or sit on the bench over the last 5 odd years, then would it be so outrageous to sign an experienced Premiership keeper on half that amount? And for free?

We were on the verge of signing 37-year-old Mark Schwarzer, who we would've surely had to pay a similar figure, because of the lack of faith in Fabianski, and we quibbled over a million quid or so on the transfer fee.

Isn't a 32-year-old, same wages, free transfer better?

I sound like I'm really in favour of signing Rob Green, but I'm not necessarily. It's actually just that I don't understand why we don't take advantage of situations like this. We could've signed the likes of Schwarzer, Given, Friedel and such when the going was good but blew it.

Goodness knows we can't stick with Fabianski, and I have no idea who we'd find to replace him. Another Almunia? Another Fabianski? Players that can't even offer competition for a 22-year-old?!

Okay, I'm done. I've stated my case for a potentially shrewd move. I'll try to refrain from contributing another essay. May the wish lists continue....

Bossa

Established Member
I guarentee that RVP will stay when we sign Affelay. That's like his best mate. He would absolutely love it when he can play with him.

I think that Affelay would be a useful player for us. Barca just got too much quality.

musicmonkey

Established Member
McIntyre said:
The question is that, if we've been paying Almunia and Fabianski over £100k a week combined to be useless and/or sit on the bench over the last 5 odd years, then would it be so outrageous to sign an experienced Premiership keeper on half that amount? And for free?

We were on the verge of signing 37-year-old Mark Schwarzer, who we would've surely had to pay a similar figure, because of the lack of faith in Fabianski, and we quibbled over a million quid or so on the transfer fee.

Isn't a 32-year-old, same wages, free transfer better?
Your right that it was stupid for us to pass on the chance to snap one of the various available experienced keepers.

Sadly that ship has long since sailed and now the major stumbling block i feel is how a new keeper would be signed as a second choice. I don't think the cost is much of an issue right now for a keeper as there's plenty of cheap options and with Almunia and Fabianski off the books wages shouldn't be too much of a hassle. But will keepers want to come in and sit on the bench? I think that's what will stop us getting the ideal targets we all want so we might just have to settle for what we can get.

Btw Green would count as home grown right? A pretty massive plus considering Mannone was registered as a home grown player at the start of the season and Djourou might want out. What about Gordon too, he's Scottish and the HG rules cover British players?

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Marquis said:
barcastuff ‏@barcastuff

Barcelona are willing to let Ibrahim Afellay (26) leave this summer for 8-9M. The fee could depend on his performances at the Euro. [sport]

Seems like the type of player we might go for, given his age, alleged price, position and less-than-stellar injury record...?

I've championed him for a while, would be a very shrewd signing. Very versatile as well, could be similar to VDV leaving Madrid and getting a chance at Sp**s.

Flow

truth_hurts said:
Marquis said:
barcastuff ‏@barcastuff

Barcelona are willing to let Ibrahim Afellay (26) leave this summer for 8-9M. The fee could depend on his performances at the Euro. [sport]

Seems like the type of player we might go for, given his age, alleged price, position and less-than-stellar injury record...?

I've championed him for a while, would be a very shrewd signing. Very versatile as well, could be similar to VDV leaving Madrid and getting a chance at Sp**s.
Is a big friend of RVP, would be the key to keep him here.

I saw this around here a while ago
--------RVP
Poldi-Affelay-Oxlade
-->
----Poldi-RVP
Affelay-----Oxlade

Yeah, Barca need's the money, Affelay can't compete with Iniesta and Fabregas in the middle or Sanchez, Villa, Pedro on the flanks. He's versatile. Would be an awesome signing. (if it meant Robin's staying)

musicmonkey

Established Member
I think Afellay would be a superb bench option though i'm not 100% sure where the space in the squad is. Arshavin's probably off, Benayoun has gone though Podolski has come in for the LW and we have quite a few other wingers though if AOC is moved inside then there might be room.

Personally my number 1 choice would be Lewandowski, probably affordable, not on massive wages, doesn't have the reputation of a Hazard etc, Dortmund have Reus coming in, plays in a very competitive league, as many assists as Kagawa :wink: (8), 22 goals in 34 games, only 23 and Polish (we have a bit of a Polish base now). Only problem is United have been linked so might trump us :(

Bossa

Established Member
Van Persie on Afellay: "You don't often get such a connection maybe with 4-5 players in your entire career. I had the same with Fabregas."
Retweeted by gilbertosilver

fabo

6.51 / 10
Would Wenger listen though? I doubt it. He'll say we are stacked in those positions and continue to pay Diaby big money every week.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Even at 10-12M I think you push for Affelay, I just don't see a space for him, suspect Wenger will see it like that too.

iced22

Didn't Affelay blow up his ACL earlier this season? For a player like him who uses his pace and quickness a fair bit I do have to wonder how much an injury like that will affect his game, especially in the Premier League.

Sottobosco

If anyone is watching the Brasil USA friendly game, watch out for Oscar in that Brasil midfield. I've mentioned him a year ago in this thread how good he was and how he was better then Mata and a year later I feel confident in repeating that claim.

Naturally I take him at Arsenal no question

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Bossa said:
Van Persie on Afellay: "You don't often get such a connection maybe with 4-5 players in your entire career. I had the same with Fabregas."
Retweeted by gilbertosilver

We should make space for him by pushing him ahead of Rosicky as AM and have him take Yossi's role as a wide option.

Send Frimpong and Ramsey on loan, use Coquellin primarily as a full back next season and we can accommodate Afellay in our squad.

------------CM/Song--------Arteta/Wilshere-----------
--Theo/Ox---------Affelay/Rosicky----------Podolski/Gerv--
---------------------RVP/Giroud---------------------------

On paper this is pretty damn strong. DeJong/M'Villa, Affellay, Theo, Podolski all with points to prove somewhat to the footballing world we could finally have some class and hunger in our attacking line up.

Shift out Denilson, Arshavin, Bendtner, Park, Vela and Chamakh tie up Theo and RVP to new contracts and it shouldn't even cost us that much net.

Here's wishing...

Segway

Sottobosco said:
If anyone is watching the Brasil USA friendly game, watch out for Oscar in that Brasil midfield. I've mentioned him a year ago in this thread how good he was and how he was better then Mata and a year later I feel confident in repeating that claim.

Naturally I take him at Arsenal no question

Oscar is a top 3 talent in the world IMO. The way he moves the ball around, shifts play and keeps his team ticking is astoundingly impressive. He's a real playmaker but he also has a wonderful shot on his right foot. He's much, much better than Lucas Moura who looks a very overrated trickpony who doesn't deserve the reported 30-40 million price tags by a long stretch. Oscar is a completely different story though. He's a joy to watch.

Top Bottom