• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Regardless, Jenkinson is not a bad signing. Yes, he won't deliver top level performances for a couple of years but I won't be at all surprised if he plays RB for England.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Cesc coming back here would make us title contenders vert funny that people are suggesting he'd be surplus. Impossible though that he leaves Barca.

A lot of people will disagree but I want another wide forward because Theo and Gervinho are too inconsistent and unpredictable although with Theo at least he guarantees goals. My wish and both are realistic enough is Adam Johnson or Danny sturridge.

Impact

Established Member
DJ_Markstar said:
Regardless, Jenkinson is not a bad signing. Yes, he won't deliver top level performances for a couple of years but I won't be at all surprised if he plays RB for England.

I would be. With Glen Johnson, Kyle Walker, Micah Richards, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Martin Kelly all ahead of him in the pecking order at right-back, he'd need to improve immensely to even play himself into contention.

Anzac

Established Member
MDGoonah41 said:
rectangle of destruction

--- sahin -------------- m'vila ---

-- arteta -------------- cazorla -

----- llorente --- giroud/podolski

Yup - posted the Brazilian 4222 as an option earlier.
With that core of players we could play either the Spanish 433 OR the Brazilian 4222 (or play one Away & the other at Home), BUT
IMO our current FBs aren't good enough.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
That formation won't work in football. Basically it is a diamond actually if you reshuffle abit

Anzac

Established Member
Clrnc said:
That formation won't work in football. Basically it is a diamond actually if you reshuffle abit

Do you mean in the modern game?

from wiki...

4–2–2–2 (Magic Rectangle)

Often referred to as the "Magic Rectangle". It's been used in France in the 80s[30] and a whole generation, for Brazil with Telê Santana, Carlos Alberto Parreira and Vanderlei Luxemburgo, by Arturo Salah and Manuel Pellegrini in Chile and Francisco Maturana in Colombia.[31] The "Magic Rectangle" is formed by combining two box-to-box midfielders with two deep-lying ("hanging") forwards across the midfield. This provides a balance in the distribution of possible moves and adds a dynamic quality to midfield play. This formation was used by former Real Madrid manager Manuel Pellegrini and met with considerable praise.[32] Pellegrini had also used this formation whilst at Villarreal. The formation is closely related to a 4–2–4 previously used by Fernando Riera, Pellegrini's mentor,[33] and that can be traced back to Chile in 1962 who (may have) adopted it from the Frenchman Albert Batteux at the Stade de Reims of 50s. Also before in the Real Madrid, this formation was most infamously used by Wanderley Luxemburgo during his failed stint at Real Madrid in the latter part of the 2004–05 season and throughout the 2005–06 season. This formation has been described as being "deeply flawed"[34] and "suicidal".[35] Luxemburgo is not the only one to use this although it had been used earlier by Brazil in the early 1980s.[36][37] At first Telê Santana, then Carlos Alberto Parreira and Vanderlei Luxemburgo proposed basing the "Magic Rectangle" on the work of the wing backs. The rectangle becomes a 3-4-3 on the attack because one of the wing backs moves downfield. [38] In another sense, the Colombian 4–2–2–2 is closely related to the 4–4–2 diamond of Brazil, style different from the French-Chilean trend and is based on the complementation of a box-to box with 10 classic. Emphasizes the triangulation, but especially in the surprise of attack. The 4–2–2–2 formation consists of the standard defensive four (right back, two centre backs, and left back), with two centre midfielders, two support strikers, and two out and out strikers.[39] Similar to the 4–6–0, the formation requires a particularly alert and mobile front four to work successfully. The formation has also been used on occasion by the Brazilian national team,[37][40][41] notably in the 1998 FIFA World Cup final.[42]

The brilliant Brazil team of WC'82 used this shape with an advanced forward & target man in the front rank, a trequartista & advanced playmaker in the 2nd rank, and a deep playmaker & ball winner in the CM rank.

In latter years the box midfield sat deeper as 2 CMs & 2 DMs.

iced22

tbh, that's the exact same system that Villareal played in 10/11, and they did extremely well. They also had a certain Santi Cazorla as the RAM.

That said though, I think we could use at least one technical, creative forward in that system. Both Podolski and Giroud are more functional players that prefer to have defined roles, and a formation like this requires the front 4 to be extremely fluid and intelligent in their movement and interchanging positions.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Impact said:
DJ_Markstar said:

I would be. With Glen Johnson, Kyle Walker, Micah Richards, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Martin Kelly all ahead of him in the pecking order at right-back, he'd need to improve immensely to even play himself into contention.

Maybe, but you have to consider that Jenkinson will never compete with Glen Johnson for RB as he's 7 years younger and not good enough yet. I predict him being a very good RB at the age of 23, which is when Johnson will be 30, Jones looks like he's being groomed for a midfield role, Smalling is really a CB.

Also think Richards has done something to upset someone at England level, he should be ahead of Johnson on merit and is better defensively imo.

So that leaves Martin Kelly and Kyle Walker, both of who are hardly Messi level talents. Jenkinson has every chance if he develops his game and doesn't choose Finland.

Anzac

Established Member
iced22 said:
tbh, that's the exact same system that Villareal played in 10/11, and they did extremely well. They also had a certain Santi Cazorla as the RAM.

That said though, I think we could use at least one technical, creative forward in that system. Both Podolski and Giroud are more functional players that prefer to have defined roles, and a formation like this requires the front 4 to be extremely fluid and intelligent in their movement and interchanging positions.

Yup - the excerpt mentions Pellegrini's Villarreal.

That '82 Brazil team was magic to watch & every bit as easy on the eye as the Dutch teams of '74 & '78. They are considered the best team never to win the WC. Likewise Zico is considered the best player to have never won the WC.

We could NEVER play that shape or system with kids as per the '08-'12 era, but we could have done so during The Invincible era.
However as I said previously IMO we currently lack the FBs to play this well.

qs

Established Member
Impact said:
DJ_Markstar said:

That Kelly lad is no better than Jenkinson. The scousers are terrible for overrating their own youth products.

Jones and Smalling are centre halves. Richards is at odds with management. Johnsons already 27 and has never been top class. Walkers obviously going to take that RB slot in the long run but there's every chance Jenks could get a few caps for England. I remember when Gary Neville was the butt of everyones jokes but now he's considered one of the best right backs of the PRemiership era. Everything Jenks lacks now can be learned.

eye4goal

Established Member
iced22 said:

Yeah, its more or less a South American 4-4-2 with wide players coming inside. Our 2007-08 formation was similar

outlaw_member

Established Member
I was also going to mention our 07/08 side, but the box midfield entails two deep CM's with two AM's floating in front. We had the inside AM's, but our CM's were anything but deep.

Vela

Established Member
One of these M'Vila, Capoue, Javi García, Biglia, Bruno Soriano etc.
Isco, Belhanda or Navas to add some creativity out-wide.
Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa versatile defender.
Another striker would be ideal.

musicmonkey

Established Member
Vela said:
One of these M'Vila, Capoue, Javi García, Biglia, Bruno Soriano etc.
Isco, Belhanda or Navas to add some creativity out-wide.
Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa versatile defender.
Another striker would be ideal.
I agree with all but Belhanda, really not a winger. He's only really played there for his nation and was fairly poor, he's definitely an AM for me and if Wilshere returns well then he's got no chance there with Cazorla too.

Don't think he was used on the left though which is a fairly role to the right but it feels too much like when we messed around with Rosicky and that didn't go well.

Vela

Established Member
I know he isn't a winger. I meant more Santi playing out-wide if Belhanda came in. So him and Giroud could form there partnership like last season again.

Buhry

Established Member

Watching Malaga in the CL qualifiers now, Isco looks class. Technical, good dribler, smart, and looks like he's got the whole spanish pass and move thing down.

Get in Arsène! Could operate on the left wing for us, could see him becoming a Pires-type left winger for us.

Feel like we need to sign an exiting attacking player to satisfy the inner muppet in many of us, Isco fits the bill, more importantly we look short on the wings. He'd also be a different option than theo and gervinho in that he can actually play against teams that park the bus.

eye4goal

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
I was also going to mention our 07/08 side, but the box midfield entails two deep CM's with two AM's floating in front. We had the inside AM's, but our CM's were anything but deep.

You're right theirs is a more clear-cut 4-2-2-2 or lets say 4-2-4. Strange how it worked with only the front-four and the full-backs attacking whilst we had to attack with with 7-8 players. It'll be interesting to see where Rossi ends up, he linked up brilliantly with Cazorla and I wouldn't be against loaning him with an option to buy(was on my wish-list last summer too)

Latest posts+

Top Bottom