• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Dembele is like what we wanted Diaby to be, or Alvarez last season. Not sure how much we need him now that Ox has been utilized more centrally, and one of Diaby and Wilshere is bound to have an injury free run.

We're probably in need of an Arteta type player - positional discipline foremost, or strong physical qualities, i.e. ball winning and engine. but then again we have ramsey for that role as well. he could prove an important player

unless we bag a young star in the mould of eriksen, muniain or jovetic, i can't see us having too much success. all the established players will need to be replaced at parent clubs, will cost pretty penny as well.

Anzac

Established Member
mavelous said:
Dembele is like what we wanted Diaby to be, or Alvarez last season. Not sure how much we need him now that Ox has been utilized more centrally, and one of Diaby and Wilshere is bound to have an injury free run.

We're probably in need of an Arteta type player - positional discipline foremost, or strong physical qualities, i.e. ball winning and engine. but then again we have ramsey for that role as well. he could prove an important player

unless we bag a young star in the mould of eriksen, muniain or jovetic, i can't see us having too much success. all the established players will need to be replaced at parent clubs, will cost pretty penny as well.

I thought Alvarez was a WF akin to Mirallas?

And the thought of Ox as a B2B ball winner or Rambo as a holding ball winner just msde me feel like I'd been kicked in the family jewels.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
actually i envision both as b2b next to arteta, not to take away from offense, but to actually utilize all of their talents in a suitable role. oxlade is still a bit too erratic for wide positions, could be used ala cesc, wilshere to develop his game from deeper with more time/space. just suits them both, making use of their full-range capabilities, offensively and defensively.

ramsey's problem was last season, wrong position, as well as being too similar to song and arteta, just horrible balance. if we add a player like oxlade to the mix, his limited passing is not a problem since we have two passers in arteta and cazorla. ramsey can be used in tandem with them as well, since cazorla provides mobility and would require less from ramsey in final third, he'd then be closer to what khedira at Madrid.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Alvarez is an AMC/Second striker. No chance of him being B2B. Have you even watched him mavelous?

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, his style of play is nothing like a CM. Also, Oxlade-Chamberlain should be years from any central position, want him to run on defenders with the ball to his feet or to outrun fullbacks, not rely on him to create, he's simply not good enough for that (yet).

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
i wouldn't get too hung up on position labels. the more relevant question is, what kind of skillset does the player offer and how is that utilized in tandem with the specific selection of the team.

he's an advanced midfielder alright, but to label him an AMC to imply a similar player to Sneijder or Cesc, he doesn't have the creative vision and passing proficiency. his distribution resembles more that of a winger, or a player like diaby bursting from deep. he offers ball control and running with speed. conservative safe passes, he creates chances linking up or creating space with his dribbling and movement.

in order to label him SS ala Rooney, Bergkamp or Suarez, he doesn't shoot enough. probably for good reason seeing how erratic his shooting is. he assists more than scores, but that doesn't make him a striker in any shape or form.

all that said, it's not even the point. my post was referring to Ox and Rambo. i do think that Arsène wanted to use Alvarez as a Diaby replacement after the latter's surgery, to offer ball movement in the middle of the park, and mobility to create space for teammates. b2b not in defensive, just that he needs a bit of space to do his thing, not a classic winger.

ArseneKnows-47

Word going around that we have a rep in Germany and that we are after a "special midfielder". Didn't AFCAMDEN say something yesterday about Wenger bringing in a midfielder he thought we couldn't get?

iced22

I do wonder does "midfielder" include our wide players. I'd consider them forwards, but who knows.

Gotze is probably going to be trending on twitter for the next few days, but realistically I'd expect Holtby or Lars Bender.

In terms of wide players, the only ones I can think of are Herrmann, Schurrle, Reus, and Draxler. I'd take Reus or Schurrle in a heartbeat, but it probably won't happen though, considering even Chelsea couldn't get Leverkusen to budge and Reus obviously just moved.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Reus just moved to Dortmund.

Lars or Sven Bender would make most sense I suppose. Whats the deal with Sven, he didn't start for Dortmund on Friday night?

mr.mojo

lars is a regular in the german team, played a fair bit at the euro's and scored. plus he can play right back.

for under 10 million id take him. he'd allow the rest of the midfield to push on, or could play beside arteta.

He's not exactly a "dream" signing like gotze, but he would improve us and has a lot of what we need. can cover a few positions, experienced(international and european), strong yet still technical.

iced22

iced22 said:
Technically proficient, inventive wide forward. Stevan Jovetic tops my list.

I find it ridiculous that we're heading into the season with the exact same crop of players out wide as last season (Walcott, Gervinho, Arshavin, AOC). It's a complete package in terms of frustration, unpreparedness(is that what you call it?), and decline.

This same batch weren't good enough last season anyway, and now that RVP's no longer here, it's become even more important to make sure we get good production out of the entire front line. This is how to replace RVP imo, not by spending a pile of cash on a direct replacement, but instead improving collectively to ensure we move away from being too reliant on one position.

I'm just going to restate this in the aftermath of the Stoke game, simply because nothing's changed and I'm too lazy to type this up again.

Our front line consists entirely of functional players, which obviously are much more suited to a functional system. We require our players to be able to express themselves on the pitch, therefore it's imperative that we have a certain number of players on the field that can create for themselves, in order to balance the team. That doesn't mean sticking a playmaker out wide though, because that would completely change the dynamics of the setup.

Bottom line is, our situation out wide is an absolute disgrace atm. Our midfield needs help also, but our problems there pale in comparison to our problems on the wings.

mo50

Established Member
ArseneKnows-47 said:
Word going around that we have a rep in Germany and that we are after a "special midfielder". Didn't AFCAMDEN say something yesterday about Wenger bringing in a midfielder he thought we couldn't get?

Goetze.

http://www.chimpout.com/forum/images/smilies/****.gif

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot
redwhiteAustrian said:
Götze would be absolutely fantastic.
He'd fit perfectly into Wenger's plans for a direct AND creative wide forward.

He might be similar to Eisfield?

From espnfc :

Wenger: "I anticipate that we will do something, we are still on the market. Defensive midfielder, it depends on the
quality available"

Hmm....any idea?.... :wink:

Top Bottom