• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

£40 million for the summer?

Arsenal316

Wenger won't get another RB now that Eboue is here to cover for Lauren.

A central defender will probably be his top priority. If by some miracle Lehmann leads us to a CL victory or an FA Cup victory, then I don't think Wenger will address the goakeeping situation.

if we go for a RM, Wenger will go after SWP, hopefully to shut up all the people who think Wenger has it in for English-born players, and won't buy them.

If Bergkamp retires, and I personally think he should, Wenger will get a forward....which to me, is something that he should have done in January.

Legend#1

Established Member
Out and out striker?

Haven't we been the top goal scorers in the EPL in the past 3 or so years?

JoseReyes29

OneProudGooner said:
We don't need a CB and RB we have Toure who can play RB and CB also Hoyte and Eboue can play there.
I think SWP will be too overpriced to be worth it and we will either get Mascharano(?), Van bommel or Hargreaves if Edu doesn't get a new agreeable contract.

Listen, our team is near perfect. But, there are some positions which can be improved upon:

GK
CB
RB

and arguably CM

I think we NEED a world class keeper, however much they cost.

I also think we need a centre back BETTER then toure. This means toure can go to right back, and lauren can be released as a backup midfielder.

That is what i think we NEED.

But it would also be nice to get another striker and centre midfielder

AFCG7

Established Member
Hmm i think we will have to go beyond available.. and try at keepers even under contract..with the correct procedures of course..not tapping.

brianfrance

Established Member
What a well managed football club.
I'm not so sure Arsène will sign a CB THIS summer. Simply because Campbell always says he'd love playing in Italy before his career has ended. So we'll have to replace him, which will cost A LOT. And Senderos deserves a chance (he'll be ahead of cygan in the pecking order next season IMO). A WC CB would be a great addition, but not sure it's Wenger' philosophy...
RB? Lauren has signed an extension, and with Vieira he is the player who make most passes, he's important for the team. And anyway, Eboue wasn't signed for nothing, he can play there, Hoyte and Kolo can as well.
We don't need any left-sided player.
We don't need any defensive or central midfielder if Edu stays. Then if not, an experienced one should be a priority.
The right wing. We already have Ljungberg who is a great player. Experienced, pacey, he scores, he dribbles, he makes assists. So we don't need an experienced player there, but one for the future would be great as back-up. (SWP, maybe, but again the asked price is certainly too high.)
Forwards : Thierry, DB10, RVP, Ali, Lupoli, Quincy...I see there a complete mix, with one very experienced DB10, one at his peak TH14, one a bit immature but obviously talented RVP, and very talented youngsters Lupoli Quincy Ali. Of course Reyes can play up front, and we don't know yet if Bentley will be sold or not.
Then we obviously need a good (yeah at least good) keeper.

I wouldn't mind having Baptista, Essien, Adriano, Nesta, Buffon this summer, but this isn't Wenger' view of football. I just expect one 'nice' signing this summer (hopefully a keeper) and very probably 1 or 2 promising players.

brianfrance

Established Member
AFCG7 said:
Hmm i think we will have to go beyond available.. and try at keepers even under contract..with the correct procedures of course..not tapping.

None will be available for free this summer. Maybe Arsène will come again with a Congolese or Chinese youngster for 125'000£ :lol:
IMO We won't sign any keeper who play in england at the moment, many are ****, others are overrated, others are overpriced, others are untouchable (the chelsea' pair only)
We won't sign a keeper from Italy, they are highly over-priced there. (except if it's a Pagliuca or a Toldo...i'm sure arsène doesn't want to replace an old GK to sign another older!)
Now there's still France, but I can't see a real target. Coupet is getting old, Roma isn't arsenal quality, then the youngsters still have to prove themselves. Lille's Sylva is quality, but again, quality don't mean arsenal quality.
Spain ? IMO some good keepers are playing there. (the valencia 2nd keeper Butelle is really a great prospect...) But I don't know the market of spain' keeper. Anyone know if they are over-priced too ?
Germany ? We all know who's the guy there, but it seems the big-deal is dead already!

Perhaps we'll simply sign that Belgian keeper :lol:

OneProudGooner

Established Member
My point was we don't need a RB all we need is a quality CB and we can move Toure to RB, Lauren can play RB, CM and RM but even though he can play CM I still think we need another CM.

namliam

no matter what wenger does this summer we definately need a defender and a GK...otherwise next season we could really find ourselves in trouble....campbell has looked increasingly injury prone as of late and although he isn't exactly aging I don't think the recent spate of injuries is a coincidence...toure has been fairly average this season and we cannot rely on senderos hoyte or eboue to be a revelation...we must have another quality defender and it is as simple as that...ditto for the GK..Lehmann has not been terrible..but he is still yet to convince and he dosen't have time on his side...GK's are always the cheapest players to buy and so even if it will cost 10 million I think Wenger must replace Lehamnn with a top top GK..

Generally I'm impressed with Wenger when he saves money with bargain deals and future prospects but this is one summer where Wenger cannot afford to do that...and as risky as it is...I would be really dissapointed if he dosent go out and use a substantial portion of the transfer funds...its always an excuse that we didn't spend money...we don't have money..etcetc..but at the end of the day...results speak for themselves and as amazing as Wenger has been in the transfer market..he must change his policy and buy proven quality

Dr. Alban

IMO a 'world class' centre back will shut the door on Senderos, and we will have an Upson saga all over again, ending with Senderos leaving the Club. He's entering that age when he no longer can afford to be 4th choice. I don't see Cygan leaving in the summer, and I would rather see Senderos getting a fair chance to prove himself before we splash out big money on a new defender.

Ok, if he proves to be mediocre, then buy, but until then..no.

DaViEsW

SWP is a must IMO. Bobby is on his last legs, I can't see him being able to play 50 games next season. Switch Freddie to the left and have Wright Jr in the Claret.

Top Bottom