• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Álvaro Recoba

Yeah, pretty sure it was Mirandinho. Brazilian international, adapted pretty well and scored his fair share of goals. Signed in the late 80's, if I remember correctly.

I've always thought of Recoba as a potential worldbeater, and being an Inter fan I've seen him play plenty of times, but it would be far too risky to sign him for anything more than a couple of million, in my opinion. Too old, and there's a very good chance that he'll fail to adapt to the hustle and bustle of the EPL.

Gurgen

Established Member
Recoba is/was a great player and misused, but I feel he is too old now to be called a talent. He is simply a failure now (not as a footballer but as a 'world-class' one). Whether that's his fault or Inter's I don't know. And he doesn't even touch the great Bergkamp, say that again and I will shoot you :wink:

Let's see Recoba doing what Dennis is doing at 35.

Lets see Recoba play, He has had 6 starts this season!

He is pure genius, Honestly you guys underrate him so much its untrue. How can you compare him to guys who play 40 games a season when he hardly gets games. More than half of his apperances have been off the bench.

You forget so quickly how much Bergkamp was criticised at Inter only he was a reject that was wise to leave as quick as he could, Whilst Moratti is obsessed with Recoba and he Recoba doesn't want to ask to leave like Ronaldo did.

Wenger knows, Obviusly your not all Wengers otherwise it wouldn't make him special. He looks deeper and maybe you should too.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
Look, we all know Recoba is one of the most gifted players in the world. Which is why many people have lost respect for him, as he is a goldmine of wasted talent. He's 29 now and should have achieved much more than he has. You can't blame Moratti for Recoba making poor choices in his career. He should have moved from Inter at least three years ago.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
Recoba seems happy to be a bit player for Inter if he has never requested a move or made it known he isn't happy on the bench.

But at 29, he really wouldn't be a Wenger buy, because he is too old and probably too late in his career to star in the EPL.

But I could be wrong, but I still dont think he'd be a wise buy especially when we have more problematic areas to buy for, and Wright-Phillips would be on top of my non-GK/CB list.

Recoba is strange, He is abit introvert ala Rivaldo (but more talented)and Inter have never really understood him.

Its not a case of him adapting to the EPL, Its about the EPL adapting to him

Pure genius

Gurgen

Established Member
Bergkamp may have been criticized but he won you the UEFA Cup. His failure in the Serie A had more to do with the Italian playboys in the dressing room than his footballing abilities.

KingReyes

Established Member
Ever since Arsenal have started to drop points this season, people have been saying we can't win anything with kids. That Reyes and RVP are too young to carry the burden of Henry and so on.

In that case someone like Recoba would be an ideal player to have at Arsenal, he's got valuable experience and if Bergy retires he could get much more playing time here than at Inter. If they can offer him a wage both the club and he is happy with then he could be a good signing.

lee1001

Established Member
Wenger has made name turning wasted talents into world beaters...

Henry, Pires, Bergkamp to name a few.

Those three would be in most people's top 5 Arsenal players amongst our current squad.

_scorpion_

Established Member
I just dont see it happening.

Too ligtweight in stature and a very indifferent in peformance. Can be brilliant, but will often disappear in matches. If you think Pires is fragile going into tackles, Recoba makes Pires look like a bully!

I agree his career has been crying out for a regular gig in a top team....unfotinately for him he got stuck at Inter.

I think Wenger will have his eyes on someone looking for theier first big move into a club rather than someone who has spent 9 years floundering on the Inter bench to be honest.

Besides, defence should be the flavour of our transfers this Summer. We can score enough goals to win the title, our problem is letting too many in.

Ratinho

Established Member
lee1001 said:
Wenger has made name turning wasted talents into world beaters...

Henry, Pires, Bergkamp to name a few.

Those three would be in most people's top 5 Arsenal players amongst our current squad.

I see your point, but wasted talents?

Pires, maybe, as he was an enigma in France but still showing flashes of what he could do, but henry and Bergkamp. Dennis had gone to a club that buy up, and ruin players, for fun and he was back to his brilliant self before Wenger arrived at Highbury. He has improved under him, no doubt, but to suggest he turned him from a waste is wrong.

And Henry?? He turned him into a top striker, that much is true, but he'd just been signed by Juve for massive money, as a kid, and was being played as a wing back. Wenger has made him into the striker he is, but he was hardly wasted at that age, unless we are suggesting the likes of Reyes, C.Ronaldo, etc are already wasted talents because of their di[ps in form.

dafish

i think recoba would flourish with the arsenal style of play.

i can't understand why people callhim slow! mind u i haven't seen him play for 2 yrs. except for wc. but when he plays its pure pure genius. he can take on players and beat them by speed or skill and be the playmaker for the team. as well as score from open play or freekicks.

unfortunately he is wasted talent. if hecould come here for a lowered wage i think his talents is well worth the gamble. certainly not on the same first team wage he demands in inter, which he barely earns by bench warming and trying to rescue the odd match.

he is imo a good replacement for pires or bergie. or if we ever switch to diamond midfield he'd slot in as the best AM. better than freddie because he has the play making and dribbling ability freddie lacks.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom