• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Łukasz Fabiański

Status
Not open for further replies.

asajoseph

Established Member
Well, I think it's a positive that he kept Dudek out of the WC squad, even though I really don't rate Jerzy...

lee1001

Established Member
evoh_1 said:
great a nobody that rules us out of getting a world class keeper for the next season as well, f****g joke what do we have to spend less money then villa and newcastle?

Who the hell was Lehmann when we signed him? a 34 year old nobody, thats who.

Yet in the 2005/2006 season he was the best keeper in the Champions League and the World Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jens_Lehmann
"He was once sent off for entering the crowd and biting a boys nose off after he "thought he heard him slag off my mum."

Obviously BS but funny as...

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
famous no 10 said:
Oh well, haven't seen anything of this guy but I'm hoping he's a class act, and if he is then it's a couple of million well spent.

I guess Wengers saving his money for that BIG signing....
We've been hoping for years. :lol:
My most wanted addition is a winger, like Overmars.

asajoseph

Established Member
Eh? Lehmann certainly wasn't a nobody when we'd signed him!

Sure, he had a rep for being a bit on the volatile side, but the guy was relatively well known around Europe at the time.

Endris

lee1001 said:
evoh_1 said:
great a nobody that rules us out of getting a world class keeper for the next season as well, f****g joke what do we have to spend less money then villa and newcastle?

Who the hell was Lehmann when we signed him? a 34 year old nobody, thats who.

Yet in the 2005/2006 season he was the best keeper in the Champions League and the World Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jens_Lehmann
"He was once sent off for entering the crowd and biting a boys nose off after he "thought he heard him slag off my mum."

Obviously BS but funny as...

When we signed Lehmann he had already won the German league and the Uefa Cup and played matches against the top football nations for his country. And what did Arsenal win internationally in their whole club history may I ask? The Uefa Cup, once. Wow.
You certainly can't compare Lehmann and the youngster regarding what they had done before they joined Arsenal. :roll:

Anyway, I am still a bit surprised. What could happen?

Poom leaves/goes on loan and Fabianski becomes third choice. Can't imagine this though.

Fabianski goes out on loan.

Almunia leaves and Fabianski becomes second choice. I can only imagine this if Almunia got a great offer from another club or if Arsenal kicks him out. However, he sounded 100% sure that he was going to stay at Arsenal and that he was looking forward to become number one when Lehmann leaves. That was in an ArseTV interview maybe 1 1/2 months ago. Also, what Wenger said didn't sound exactly as if they wanted to get rid of him, quite the opposite.

Very strange the whole thing. I guess they screwed Manny?

Captain

Established Member
Not to me; from those short videos he looks like a very good keeper.

Only small parts are shown obviously but he looks confident at controlling his area, seems to have good handling, good footwork and decision making and is quick off of his line.

Saying he looks a 'keeper for the cameras' is a little naive considering that they are Youtube videos.

Endris

Captain said:
Not to me; from those short videos he looks like a very good keeper.

Only small parts are shown obviously but he looks confident at controlling his area, seems to have good handling, good footwork and decision making and is quick off of his line.

Saying he looks a 'keeper for the cameras' is a little naive considering that they are Youtube videos.

You can make any keeper look good with those videos. I asked some Polish mates and they were not too convinced. But whatever, if we sign him we will see what Wenger has in mind for him and what he can do.

AFCG7

Established Member
Since Spunky left and while he was here what have we come up with in the keeping dept.?
Manninger , Shabaan , Almunia, Wright , Stu Taylor , Stack , Poom just to name a few... but none of these have been able to live up to the high standards needed at the top level. Only Lehmann has shown the kind of quality but he is going downhill. So we got for another unknown keeper.. will he be another one like those mentioned earlier? Or will he be a genuine consistent number one? Judging from Wenger's previous pick of GK "talent" i'm not too optimistic.

Lukazan

Established Member
Seen a couple of compilations of him and I like what I see. Looks like he's got great reactions and seems to command well given his age.

Makes one save that is stunning, very similar to a save Cech made in the Euro 2004 against Holland.

Grampus_Eight

Looks a bit short and not especially commanding in his box to me.

But that's just my impression of these clips.

I have no expectations for him as let's face it, he's something of an unkown. Highly rated, but he's hardly ever played in a big match as in world cup, european cup. Has he featured in any latter rounds of the champions league?

We probably should have held off a year on this purchase, unless he's going to be able to come in and displace Almunia straight away.

Almunia had an outstanding season as backup and looked like he had markedly improved on his aerial ability. Still feel that he's always a mistake away though - so perhaps Fabianski is a good addition. But whatever the transfer fee, you'd have to think it could have been better spent in another position.

Maybe this reflects doubts on Jens ability to stay fit at his age more than anything else.

nazo

Established Member
Well, i would've preferred someone else, who is more established (everyone knows the other options), but i guess i will have to wait and see. He looks half decent from several youtube clips, but you can't really trust them.

nazo

Established Member
Grampus_Eight said:
Looks a bit short and not especially commanding in his box to me.

But that's just my impression of these clips.

I have no expectations for him as let's face it, he's something of an unkown. Highly rated, but he's hardly ever played in a big match as in world cup, european cup. Has he featured in any latter rounds of the champions league?

We probably should have held off a year on this purchase, unless he's going to be able to come in and displace Almunia straight away.

Almunia had an outstanding season as backup and looked like he had markedly improved on his aerial ability. Still feel that he's always a mistake away though - so perhaps Fabianski is a good addition. But whatever the transfer fee, you'd have to think it could have been better spent in another position.

Maybe this reflects doubts on Jens ability to stay fit at his age more than anything else.

I actually think Wenger timed this transfer perfectly. It gives the player time to adapt to England over the summer, or over next season. We have Almunia and Lehmann here next season, so we can test him every now and then to see if he's actually good or if he is developing good enough. For 2mil, it wouldn't be a risk, and if he fails we could sell him and get the money back.

Grampus_Eight

Another speculative signing. I'd like to see us put all our funds into some more proven quality.

Fabianski certainly can't be categorized as the sort of "super, super player" the Boss said he might look to add. Or if he is to be counted as such, it's going to be a very long, very disappointing summer.

Grampus_Eight

PolishGooner said:
I dont know why Wenger doesnt want Boruc. He could even sign a deal now and buy him next year

No reason we couldn't have put a pre-contract agreement in place or even bought him and then loaned him back to Celtic. Another year of Champions League experience ahead of him if he stayed.

He'd probably do well to stay in Glasgow another year unless he gets on offer from a really big club like Milan, Inter, Juve, etc.

But it's more likely that O'Neil brings him to Villa isn't it...they have money to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We played with a bit of a handbrake

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom