• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Łukasz Fabiański

Status
Not open for further replies.

otfgoon

Established Member
Grampus_Eight said:
PolishGooner said:
I dont know why Wenger doesnt want Boruc. He could even sign a deal now and buy him next year

No reason we couldn't have put a pre-contract agreement in place or even bought him and then loaned him back to Celtic. Another year of Champions League experience ahead of him if he stayed.

He'd probably do well to stay in Glasgow another year unless he gets on offer from a really big club like Milan, Inter, Juve, etc.

But it's more likely that O'Neil brings him to Villa isn't it...they have money to spend.

Would it really make any sense spending 8m or so on a goalkeeper when there are clearly other positions that need that money more?

Grampus_Eight

otfgoon said:
Grampus_Eight said:
PolishGooner said:
I dont know why Wenger doesnt want Boruc. He could even sign a deal now and buy him next year

No reason we couldn't have put a pre-contract agreement in place or even bought him and then loaned him back to Celtic. Another year of Champions League experience ahead of him if he stayed.

He'd probably do well to stay in Glasgow another year unless he gets on offer from a really big club like Milan, Inter, Juve, etc.

But it's more likely that O'Neil brings him to Villa isn't it...they have money to spend.

Would it really make any sense spending 8m or so on a goalkeeper when there are clearly other positions that need that money more?

No. Did it make sense to spend £2m plus wages on someone who may be third choice next season?

We should have said adieu to Jens and then bought the best keeper we could afford.

Instead we've gone and looked at age and potential again - hoping that Fabianski can win the job in a year's time. For me, that isn't the way to buy a keeper. It's a position that benefits from the club declaring a #1 upon purchase.

Even if we decided to go this route, I'd prefer a bigger goalkeeper. Gordon apparently needs to work on commanding the box, but at 6'4, I've more confidence that he can than a player who looks around 6'1 to me.

But i'd rather an additional £2m plus the wages been spent on a player absolutely essential to success next year like a wide player, a goalscorer, or cover for Gilberto.

Kenyonhater

Poom has said he won't stay if he's going to be no.3 again so I see him leaving and Almunia and Fabianski battling it out to be Jens' successor.

That's okay with me. Give the guy a chance ffs. People already writing him off is just ridiculous when we'll still have Lehmann and Almunia here next season anyway.

Grampus_Eight

Not writing him off, just don't think spending £2m on a potential 3rd choice keeper is what we should be doing. He has scant big game experience as well so it may be hard for him to earn the #1 job and if he does, he will have to do a lot of on the job training.

If we are outbid by £2-3m for Ribery or even Eto'o how will you feel about this signing?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... =1779&ct=5

gunnerGH

Established Member
wengerDM1904_468x436.jpg

Wenger looking very suave there

otfgoon

Established Member
Grampus_Eight said:
otfgoon said:
Grampus_Eight said:
PolishGooner said:

No. Did it make sense to spend £2m plus wages on someone who may be third choice next season?

We should have said adieu to Jens and then bought the best keeper we could afford.

Instead we've gone and looked at age and potential again - hoping that Fabianski can win the job in a year's time. For me, that isn't the way to buy a keeper. It's a position that benefits from the club declaring a #1 upon purchase.

Even if we decided to go this route, I'd prefer a bigger goalkeeper. Gordon apparently needs to work on commanding the box, but at 6'4, I've more confidence that he can than a player who looks around 6'1 to me.

But i'd rather an additional £2m plus the wages been spent on a player absolutely essential to success next year like a wide player, a goalscorer, or cover for Gilberto.

Well if the reports are true he'll be second choice next year and the eventual successor to Jens. Personally i'm not sure I want to comment on him until i've seen him play, but I think you are being a little too dismissive of his talents.

evoh_1

Established Member
lee1001 said:
evoh_1 said:
great a nobody that rules us out of getting a world class keeper for the next season as well, f****g joke what do we have to spend less money then villa and newcastle?

Who the hell was Lehmann when we signed him? a 34 year old nobody, thats who.

Yet in the 2005/2006 season he was the best keeper in the Champions League and the World Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jens_Lehmann
"He was once sent off for entering the crowd and biting a boys nose off after he "thought he heard him slag off my mum."

Obviously BS but funny as...

what record do we have at signing keepers **** all lehmann has been good for a few season and thats it lets not compare im to someomne like cech or buffon who have been great for many year, since david we haven't had a quality keeper so don't even talk abot lehmann just cos he has had 2 great seasons.

be serious a great team is built on stikers and Gks and cBs , impoving a gk will drop more points then any other position.

Invincible

Established Member
Arsène WENGER has agreed to sign Poland keeper Lukasz Fabianski from Legia Warsaw.

Fabianski, 22, had a medical on Tuesday after the Gunners thrashed out a deal — believed to be worth an eventual £2.5million — with the Polish club.

Wenger has been trailing Fabianski, as revealed in SunSport last week.

He sees him initially as an understudy for Jens Lehmann, who last month agreed a new deal to stay at the Emirates Stadium.

Fabianski’s agent Martin Wiesner said: “We are very close to a deal with Arsenal — an agreement is there between both clubs.

“We just have to arrange some details of his contract at Legia and with Arsenal.

“Lukasz had medical tests on Tuesday and he has flown back to Poland to play for Legia. I expect him to return to London later this week to have more talks.

“Lukasz has had three offers but we are close to completing the deal with Arsenal.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002 ... 21,00.html

Canuck

Established Member
Just like Wenger, talk up players like Boruc and Gordon and then go out and get someone from out on the fringe of most peoples radar screens.
Hope he works out better than Almunia (who isn't such a bad guy, he's just not consistently good enough)

Grampus_Eight

otfgoon said:
Grampus_Eight said:
otfgoon said:
Grampus_Eight said:
PolishGooner said:

Well if the reports are true he'll be second choice next year and the eventual successor to Jens. Personally i'm not sure I want to comment on him until i've seen him play, but I think you are being a little too dismissive of his talents.

He might turn out to be the best young talent in europe. He could end up being the greatest keeper in england or even the best to ever play for Arsenal. I don't mean to dismiss the guy at all - I just question his current credentials to potentially be the starting keeper for one of the biggest clubs in the world based upon his very short career.

On top of that, unless Almunia is on his way out, we don't really need to spend a couple of million quid on a new backup or third choice keeper, when we don't have a single natural wide player in the side - save Freddie, who is completely ineffective and almost never fit.

Let me repeat, this could turn out to be a great signing, but it's high risk at a position where above all you want to know what you're getting.

Arsenal_FAN1983

I don't see what the fuss is about. We are only paying £2.5m on this guy. We are Arsenal we can afford it. Honestly some of you guys need to stop being so negative!!

Next year many clubs in the Premiership will be much better off from the big t.v. deals, so if this keeper turns out not too good for Arsenal we can still buy another keeper next summer. :)

Jens being here for one more year hopefully guarantees were quite safe in that department for now. :)

Endris

evoh_1 said:
lee1001 said:
evoh_1 said:
great a nobody that rules us out of getting a world class keeper for the next season as well, f****g joke what do we have to spend less money then villa and newcastle?

Who the hell was Lehmann when we signed him? a 34 year old nobody, thats who.

Yet in the 2005/2006 season he was the best keeper in the Champions League and the World Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jens_Lehmann
"He was once sent off for entering the crowd and biting a boys nose off after he "thought he heard him slag off my mum."

Obviously BS but funny as...

what record do we have at signing keepers f**k all lehmann has been good for a few season and thats it lets not compare im to someomne like cech or buffon who have been great for many year, since david we haven't had a quality keeper so don't even talk abot lehmann just cos he has had 2 great seasons.

be serious a great team is built on stikers and Gks and cBs , impoving a gk will drop more points then any other position.

Lehmann has only been here for four years and he had many good seasons before. But on the other hand, Cech, Buffon and Lehmann in the past had the privilege to play with some very good defenses and that is what Arsenal doesn't have at the moment. Even a goalkeeper like Cech can be made looking stupid by a weak defense.

But yes, Wenger doesn't have a good hand when it comes to goalkeepers. After Seaman only Lehmann made a difference and the rest was crap, simple as that.

Paddy from Sweden

First it's reported that we're paying £2m and now according to the much reliable The Sun the price is £2.5m. Not suprised though it's The Sun we're talking about. :lol:

otfgoon

Established Member
Grampus_Eight said:
otfgoon said:
Grampus_Eight said:
otfgoon said:
Grampus_Eight said:
PolishGooner said:

He might turn out to be the best young talent in europe. He could end up being the greatest keeper in england or even the best to ever play for Arsenal. I don't mean to dismiss the guy at all - I just question his current credentials to potentially be the starting keeper for one of the biggest clubs in the world based upon his very short career.

On top of that, unless Almunia is on his way out, we don't really need to spend a couple of million quid on a new backup or third choice keeper, when we don't have a single natural wide player in the side - save Freddie, who is completely ineffective and almost never fit.

Let me repeat, this could turn out to be a great signing, but it's high risk at a position where above all you want to know what you're getting.

I agree with you to an extent, but then i'm sure Arsène has been watching him for a while. Boruc, Gorden etc may have bigger reputations to us but its not to say they are better keepers, which is exactly my point.

longrufus

Established Member
Great pearls of wisdom there Legend.

To be honest im not sure what the fuss is about. Wenger obviously seems confident that Jens is more than capable for another year. We have Almunia, who has been an excellent no.2. By bringing him in now, Wenger gets to see him in training for a year and the odd CC match, to see if he will make the grade.

At the end of next season he can re-evaluate the situation. Jens will go im sure, leaving either the possibility for Almunia or Fabianski to step up or he will look for another GK.

Makes perfect sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom