• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

02/Arsenal.com Player of the Season

TomasCR

Established Member
Sure, who else could it be? Ade? Hardly so. That guy from your avatar seems to deserve it for me, by signing a new contract of course.

RobinVanPersie

TomasCR said:
Sure, who else could it be? Ade? Hardly so. That guy from your avatar seems to deserve it for me, by signing a new contract of course.

I think they will confirm it next week...in the RVP week on arsenal.com.

qs

Established Member
It'll definitely be Robin. And he didn't even have a great season, goes to show how **** we were last season.

progman07

Established Member
Check out van Persie's goals this season on the famous video site, and see his number of assists, and check how many of his contribution came in very big need - you'll soon understand how underrated his season is.

He did all what he could as a second striker with such a make-shift midfield behind him.

ibby

Established Member
This is the second time you've told us to check a player's video on YouTube. You realise that it can make anyone look like anything? I remember one of Cygan that made him look like Campbell.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Robin had a pretty mediocre season by normal standards where many of the goals either did not arrive in the two competitions that mattered (four goals in the FA cup against Burnley, Cardiff and Hull), or came on penalties (three out of five CL goals were from the penalty spot, for example). In terms of assists he did very well though and his purple patch in january was important. Let's hope this was just the definite beginning of his career rather than a peak. Out of the players in the current team only Arshavin and Almunia deserved the Player of the Season award more.

progman07

Established Member
ibby said:
This is the second time you've told us to check a player's video on YouTube. You realise that it can make anyone look like anything? I remember one of Cygan that made him look like Campbell.
I only told it because people REALLY underrate his contribution. Maybe they forgot about some of his goals, because the most were really quality.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
It's not like they disappear amongst the numbers, really. He's scored some great goals but all the same he just managed 9 in the league until we met Stoke in the very last game of the season.

My favourite one was the one against Liverpool. The turn is amazing. He really made Carragher look bad there. Nasri's assist was superb too. Could have been the goal of the season if it hadn't been for Ade (Villarreal) and Arshavin (pretty much every other goal he scored was amazing).

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Whens the last time a player joined us in January and got 2nd in POTY award?

Shows how amazing he is

there were only two occasions when he completed 90 minutes that Arshavin did not give the team a goal or an assist.

scytheavatar

Established Member
progman07 said:
ibby said:
I only told it because people REALLY underrate his contribution. Maybe they forgot about some of his goals, because the most were really quality.

You shouldn't just look at what a player does at his best, you need to look at a player's performance for the entire season. And Van Persie went through long periods where he did **** all. As a whole his season isn't bad but Arshavin, Almunia and Sagna are definitively more worthy of player of the season. Heck if you want to talk about being underrated Gallas would probably be the one who's underrated, he gets way too much hate among Arsenal fans.

fabo

6.51 / 10
20 goals and 15 assists in 44 appearances is still a pretty good return for a player like Van Persie who is neither a clinical striker nor did he play on the shoulder last season, instead dropping deep to help the shambles that was our midfield. Went AWOL for some matches but he's a deserved winner of the award.

otfgoon

Established Member
I never really understood why opinion on Robin turned south so quickly, there was a period between Dec and Feb where he was pretty much dragging us through games on his own including big game goals against Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton in the last min. He was being touted as the best striker in the Premiership at the time by quite a few in the media.

He scored 20 and assisted 13 goals in 36 starts, which means he scored or set up nearly a goal a game, thats nothing to be scoffed at especially in a season where service to the strikers was pretty poor.

Might not have been an excellent season overall, but in the circumstances his contribution was pretty good and he definately deserves this.

Nela

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Robin had a pretty mediocre season by normal standards where many of the goals either did not arrive in the two competitions that mattered (four goals in the FA cup against Burnley, Cardiff and Hull), or came on penalties (three out of five CL goals were from the penalty spot, for example). In terms of assists he did very well though and his purple patch in january was important. Let's hope this was just the definite beginning of his career rather than a peak. Out of the players in the current team only Arshavin and Almunia deserved the Player of the Season award more.
I largelly agree with this. He had a period where he was excellent, but he's not had a great season overall. It's easy to remember his strong period, where he was scoring and assisting almost everything. But a deeper analysis of where and when the goals came and a look at the season as a whole, makes it a bit less impressive. He also missed several one on ones during the period when we couldn't score, but that seems to be forgotten. Yet when Bendtner misses, no one seems to forget.

scytheavatar

Established Member
otfgoon said:
I never really understood why opinion on Robin turned south so quickly, there was a period between Dec and Feb where he was pretty much dragging us through games on his own including big game goals against Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton in the last min. He was being touted as the best striker in the Premiership at the time by quite a few in the media.

That's the problem. At this stage he should have been close to world class, he should have been pulling out game changing performances through out the season. He should have been our Henry, our Torres, our Eto'o. If he had been able to gain some consistency he would be one of the best strikers in the premiership. But at the moment he is still far from that level.

Yes, he didn't have a bad season, but we are not talking about whether he has a good or a bad season. We are talking about player of the season here, and there's better contenders out there than Van Persie.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom