• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

07/08 Arsenal vs 22/23

Which one is better?

• Total voters

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
100% if that team's coached by Wenger. Give the 07/08 squad to Arteta and we scrape 4th at best.

"How can Arteta do anything with a guy that looks that much like Willem Dafoe? Hleb can barely shoot!"

Just look at the names on that team. Yes, those Wenger teams were a bit soft in the end when it came to mentality and defense, but people saying he couldn't coach players always gave me pause.

Guy was wringing blood out of stones.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Even just thinking about it from around that era. You had the big four of England all capable of reaching semis/the final. AC Milan and Inter both won the CL in 07 and 10 respectively. You had Barcelona won it under Raijkaard and then obviously dominated with Pep. Real underachievers in this era but still a top side. Bayern a real dangerous side too. That's 9 top teams all around at the same time. You could even throw in a Lyon, Roma, Valencia who'd probably be capable of going a long way in the modern era too.

The 2007/08 team should have gone further in the CL too, that late penalty at Anfield could have been prevented.

We led the PL for most of the season ahead of the eventual CL finalists, we were good enough that year.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
100% if that team's coached by Wenger. Give the 07/08 squad to Arteta and we scrape 4th at best.

Love how you dress up your Arteta disdain as some sort of hard fact on him not being good enough to get that team to perform. :lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Can't see how this is a negative.

Hleb was low-key our best player in 07/08 for me, tbh.

Fabregas and Adebayor rightly got the headlines that year for how good they were and their numbers, but my God was Alex sensational that season.

He couldn't score if his life depended on it, but one of the most technical players we have ever had...not sure our football would have been quite as slick without him.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Fabregas and Adebayor rightly got the headlines that year for how good they were and their numbers, but my God was Alex sensational that season.

He couldn't score if his life depended on it, but one of the most technical players we have ever had...not sure our football would have been quite as slick without him.

He is what I mean about Wenger. Hleb was not a complete unknown, but he was still one out of the many player players that Arsène constantly got much more from than other managers.

Even in the end, Arsène always knew when to let a player go.

Rex Stone

We all live in an Edu submarine
Trusted ⭐

He’d be like fifth or sixth for me?

Career year for Adebayor, Cesc was world class, Flamini was an absolute dawg back then and the reason we were so good defensively with the Spanish waiter in goal was mostly down to Sagna and Kolo who were rocks.

I’d put Hleb above Almunia, Clichy, the charisma vacuum of G****s and I guess whichever of Rosicky or Eduardo played but that’s it really.

The guy was silky and nice to watch but big games he wasn’t delivering much for you at all end product wise.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

Riou

He’d be like fifth or sixth for me?

I will have you know that Jamie Redknapp put Hleb into his team of the season back in 2008 on Sky!

So yeah you are probably right, probably wasn't that good.

Tnegs

Look at the Bayern Munich's Arsène Wenger has to go up against compared to today's Bayern Munich, lets not even talk about Barcelona. Wenger actually had to go up against the best teams ever on a shoestring budget
98/99 - 3rd in the group behind Dynamo Kiev and Lens
99/00 - 3rd in the group behind Barca and Fiorentina
00/01 - Quarter final defeat to Valencia
01/02 - second group stage knockout to Bayer Leverkusen and Deportivo
02/03 - second group stage knockout to Valencia and Ajax
03/04 - Quarter finals ko to Chelsea
04/05 - Round of 16 ko yo Bayern
05/06 - Final defeat to Barca
06/07 - Loss to PSV in round of 16
07/08 - Q/F loss to Liverpool

Not like we were up against great opposition every season. We were fully capable of bottling it against teams that should be beneath us.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
98/99 - 3rd in the group behind Dynamo Kiev and Lens
99/00 - 3rd in the group behind Barca and Fiorentina
00/01 - Quarter final defeat to Valencia
01/02 - second group stage knockout to Bayer Leverkusen and Deportivo
02/03 - second group stage knockout to Valencia and Ajax
03/04 - Quarter finals ko to Chelsea
04/05 - Round of 16 ko yo Bayern
05/06 - Final defeat to Barca
06/07 - Loss to PSV in round of 16
07/08 - Q/F loss to Liverpool

Not like we were up against great opposition every season. We were fully capable of bottling it against teams that should be beneath us.
Yeah I do agree that Arsène underperformed in Europe. Honestly those games against Bayern and Barca were a foregone conclusion that we would lose when a top team would have a fighting chance.

Black Noir

Run it back to that Champions league Quarter Final. Where Hleb as well as Diaby. Where tearing them apart. Before Ryan Babel. Got them a wining penalty for a dive😢 😠.

Riou

Picking Wembley over Highbury for money, is what done us more than anything in our first 2 Champions League campaigns...Barca and Fioretina back then were top sides mind, but we should have done better (look at how well we did in the Europa in.2000 at Highbury in comparison, smashed Deportivo and Werder when they were quality teams)

Valencia, Leverkusen (also beat Liverpool and United in 2002, very good team back then before Bayern raided them) Munich and Barcelona were all top sides and no shame in losing to them...we played well against all those teams and could have won some, just luck didn't go our way...big regret is Chelsea in 2004, should have besten them 100% and that one's on us.(should have gave up in the cup v United and not played Henry at all, who injured himself in that match just before the Chelski game)

We should have won a Champions League back then, but European league football had so many top teams back then sadly...even Fergie with all his money, only won it once with United in that period when we were great (1998-2006) it was ****ing hard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom