• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

07/08 Arsenal vs 22/23

Which one is better?

• Total voters

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Except for the top 4, literally every side tried to simply stop us from playing if not literally kick us off the park. In this era where teams open up a we bit more and even midtable teams try to be a bit more expanse that 08 side would be ripping teams to shreds.

Which teams opened up?

The mistake teams made against this Arsenal team is that they thought they could push up their lines and force our first phase into mistakes. That's why we got to 50/57 points in the first half of the season.

Go and look at the games against Sp**s, Liverpool, Chelsea in late 2022. They were trying to compete with us and got slaughtered. It was either a team couldn’t get to the ball, or teams were played through with ease when trying to press high.

A key reason why we dropped off in 2023, is because teams realised what they were dealing with and had to completely close off their lines to compete with us. Go and look at the games against Newcastle (literally showed the shift in the first half of the match), United, Everton, Brentford, Liverpool away and even City at the Emirates.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Which teams opened up?

The mistake teams made against this Arsenal team is that they thought they could push up their lines and force our first phase into mistakes. That's why we got to 50/57 points in the first half of the season.

Go and look at the games against Sp**s, Liverpool, Chelsea in late 2022. They were trying to compete with us and got slaughtered. It was either a team couldn’t get to the ball, or teams were played through with ease when trying to press high.

A key reason why we dropped off in 2023, is because teams realised what they were dealing with and had to completely close off their lines to compete with us. Go and look at the games against Newcastle (literally showed the shift in the first half of the match), United, Everton, Brentford, Liverpool away and even City at the Emirates.

It's why at that time we did better in the CL against AC and the like but we had to end up Liverpool

Tnegs

Hleb was a great player to watch and he really peaked in 07/08. Bit like an Iniesta type not much end product but huge influence on play, always involved drawing players to himself and just incredible in tight positions against teams that dropped deep. Such a shame for us and as he later discovered for himself when he left.

GoonerJay24

You can make a strong argument on an individual player level, sure. The level of available quality, at lower prices was much more than it is today. Better value for money if you will. Just like there was better value for money 5-6 years earlier, where we picked up Arsenal legends for peanuts.

The difference comes in when you look at the balance of the teams. As you know its always a trade off in the end, with you sacrificing defensive organisation for less attack, and vice versa. 2007-08 being more attack focused, and 2022-23 being more defensively organised. Its strange me saying that because 07-08 had a better defensive record, and 22-23 had a better attacking record.

Ultimately, you need to be defensively solid first, and then use that base to attack and dominate. And its here where 22/23 pulls away from 07/08 for me. You could see the control of the game through 22/23's positioning and ability to defend with possession as early as the 3rd game of the season, even pre-season. I didnt see that enough with 07/08.

Hence why I think 22/23 is better overall. The only teams that are better are the Highbury teams.

Interesting debate to be had though... Numbers aside, there is a case to be made for 2007-08.

The 23 team had no champions league thus players weren't overplayed. Apart from Jesus , Tomiyasu and Saliba there wasn't any significant injuries.

1.) 13/14
2.) 07/08
3.) 14/15
4.) 15/16
5.) 22/23

This in my opinion are the tip five seasons since the Emirates move. I'd argue the 09-11 teams played better football than 22/23 side too.

GoonerJay24

A @Hunta masterclass here. Unpopular opinion but I wouldn’t take any of our attacking three (Martinelli, Ødegaard & Saka) over Hleb in that year. This era is too focused on stats but Hleb was pretty much the link between everything our side was doing:

Makes a change from one of those scruffy footballers we have to put up with on the left. Fantastic player to watch.

The combination play and tight passing between himself, Rosicky and Fabregas was arguably the best in premier league history.

SA Gunner

The 23 team had no champions league thus players weren't overplayed. Apart from Jesus , Tomiyasu and Saliba there wasn't any significant injuries.

1.) 13/14
2.) 07/08
3.) 14/15
4.) 15/16
5.) 22/23

This in my opinion are the tip five seasons since the Emirates move. I'd argue the 09-11 teams played better football than 22/23 side too.

I can definitely agree to the injuries argument. 2007-08 had problematic injuries at wrong points in the season. From Toure, to Rosicky to Eduardo of course. It could have been a different story had they been available. As for the Champions League, Arsenal played 10 games that season, didnt go too far in the FA Cup and League Cup.

Also, better football is one thing, more effective and balanced football is another.

The same argument is made with the current City team vs the Barcelona team of 2009-10 team. One is much easier on the eye and a killing machine, and the other is just a killing machine.

Good football doesnt always translate to the best overall side, as we ourselves saw in 2007-08. We were a better attacking football side than both Chelsea and United that season, despite scoring less than United. But United and Chelsea had better balance to their game than we did.

GoonerJay24

I can definitely agree to the injuries argument. 2007-08 had problematic injuries at wrong points in the season. From Toure, to Rosicky to Eduardo of course. It could have been a different story had they been available. As for the Champions League, Arsenal played 10 games that season, didnt go too far in the FA Cup and League Cup.

Also, better football is one thing, more effective and balanced football is another.

The same argument is made with the current City team vs the Barcelona team of 2009-10 team. One is much easier on the eye and a killing machine, and the other is just a killing machine.

Good football doesnt always translate to the best overall side, as we ourselves saw in 2007-08. We were a better attacking football side than both Chelsea and United that season, despite scoring less than United. But United and Chelsea had better balance to their game than we did.

Lack of experience and desire was the real undoing rather than balance.

Why do you think Wenger started preparing a contingency British core the next year?

Players like Fabregas, RVP, Hleb etc, enjoyed playing for Arsenal. But we weren't truly in their heart.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Don't forget Walcott , Peak Walcott would have a ball in this day and age of the high press.

Yep, would be a great Saka backup. Nelli on the left as well probably has a case over Hleb, but if you have a guy like Ade up top you need two creators either side (see City with Grealish/Haaland/Bernardo).

Overall I think my team would be:

————Ramsdale———
Sagna—Saliba—Gabriel—Zinchenko
—————-TP————-
———Ode——Cesc——-
Saka———Ade——-Hleb

That team probably plays the best football in English league history.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
07/08 would play this team off the park. They would also batter every other team in the current season outside City.

LULZ

A side consisting of Almunia, Clichy, Gallas, Flamini, Hleb, Rosicky, Walcott, Djourou and a half cripple Van Persie etc ain’t battering nothing today.

Football has changed soo much it’s almost a different sport.

SA Gunner

Peak Alexis wouldn't make it? Or is this just considering 07/08.

Only 07/08 and that is a good team that @MikelHadADream posted there.

The only critique would be that Cesc and Zinchenko are a bit too lightweight to both be in the team, especially in today's league. One of them needs to be replaced, and that's Zinny for me. Play Tomi in his position and we have a good balance there I'd say.

Have Walcott, Martinelli, Jesus and Nketiah on the bench, to serve as late game substitutes to stretch tired defences.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Hey SA , when did Diarra play for us ? Sad it didn't work out .

SA Gunner

Hey SA , when did Diarra play for us ? Sad it didn't work out .

Yeah I was quite bummed we lost him during that season (January 2008), especially the way we did and the situation with Flamini. We should have played hard ball with Flamini instead.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Bunch of nostalgia merchants in here, that 07/08 team is like Brighton level in 2023 the game has moved on.

Partey alone would dominate that entire midfield if we’re being honest.

Tnegs

Bunch of nostalgia merchants in here, that 07/08 team is like Brighton level in 2023 the game has moved on.

Partey alone would dominate that entire midfield if we’re being honest.

Go on now the only midfielder better than Fabregas for us in the PL era was Vieira. Partey ain’t getting anywhere near him and I rate Partey.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
07/08 would play this team off the park. They would also batter every other team in the current season outside City.
Top fit peak 07/08 Arsenal easily beats this City team, peak 22/23 City washes the April version of 07/08 Arsenal.

Top Bottom