• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

08/09 Season Run In - An optimistic approach

el capitan

Not too long ago, we were trailing Villa 6 points and our season looked to be heading for the Europa Cup and the first finish outside the top 4 under Wenger. Within just a short time however, we have completely turned it around whereby we now have a 6+ point gap between ourselves and Villa.

Perhaps it's time to look at the next objective in this season's league campaign? We are 6 games from the end of the season and we are 6 points behind Chelsea in third. We also have a game to play with the team currently lying in 3rd (as well as the team lying in 1st and 2nd). Now, I'm sure the same fans who doubted that we could cover ground on Villa will be the same ones telling us that we can't cover the ground on Chelsea, but I'm of a different opinion. It's a big thing to ask, but it isn't out of the realms of possibility. 3rd place and 3-5 points behind the league leaders doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as what we were expecting several games ago.

We are also in a strong position to progress past the quarter finals of the Champions League, a feat that we have only ever done once (and we got to the final on that memorable occasion). We are also in the semi finals of the FA cup which we play against Chelsea and most likely against United in the final if we progress - just like the good ol' days.

It's extremely possible for this Arsenal squad which has received both deserved criticisms and praise this season, to finish on a high note. We're not far from 3rd place in the league (granted, it's not 1st) and we've a good chance in both the Champions League and the FA Cup, two trophies that either one will restore some much needed faith in this squad.

I'm full of optimism once again, just like a few of our games lately, this season really could be one of two halves and just like the games, provide us with a strong Arsenal finish. We've still got a lot to play for and we still have a very realistic chance of winning some much needed silverware with 2 of the top 4 teams standing in our way. Not that I'm particularly worried, we haven't lost to one of the other top 3 teams once this season.

What is everyone elses view? Think we can grab a 3rd place spot or win a trophy? Or have I just completely jinxed the entire season?

Come on the Arsenal!

Unforgiven

Established Member
Yes, we are going for a good end to the season. Not too sure if we will win trophies, we will have to perform in the games and if we don't we are out, so it depends on the performance for the day. With the PL I think we will finish 4th in the end, Chelsea have found the form now (except for them conceding 3 times yesterday).

el capitan

If Chelsea draw 2 games and lose against us, we could overtake them. I know the percentages are not in our favour, but then, this season has included a lot of unexpected results. It is possible.

As for the cup games, I genuinely believe we have just as much chance as every other team. If we can brush aside Villareal, we'll face Porto, who we tonked 4-0 and lost 2-0 on a crazy night, or United, who can't defend for toffee at the moment and have relied on luck heavily these past few games.

I expect Chelsea to finish the job in Liverpool and it could be a toss up between them and Barca, although on form right now, I see Barca progressing to the final. If any team can go toe to toe with Barcelona, it's us and I'm sure this team will want some revenge from the last time we played them in the cup.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
el capitan said:
What is everyone elses view? Think we can grab a 3rd place spot or win a trophy? Or have I just completely jinxed the entire season?
I'm sharpening my pitchfork and soaking my torches as I type. :wink:

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
It's a good thread but you're gonna get flamed if we lose our two upcoming games. I'll write something after we've played Villarreal and Chelsea.

entropy13

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
It's a good thread but you're gonna get flamed if we lose our two upcoming games. I'll write something after we've played Villarreal and Chelsea.

Which is quite pointless actually. How can you make an optimistic post about our season's run in when you have to make that post when that run in is shortened by 2 matches already? So you're already making an optimistic thread about the run in which it is 2 matches shorter.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Hrrm, yes. Good point. :eek:ops:

I didn't read the first post that carefully to be honest. I thought it was mainly about the outlook for next season.

entropy13

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Hrrm, yes. Good point. :eek:ops:

I didn't read the first post that carefully to be honest. I thought it was mainly about the outlook for next season.

:p

Well, I was about to edit my post to make a shorter one. My point is that, assuming we get knocked out in the CL or the FA Cup, it wouldn't exactly be a "run in" to approach optimistically right? :wink:

And you haven't read the title carefully as well, it's 08/09 Klaus not 09/10 :wink:

:p

el capitan

Klaus, if I was superstitious enough to believe that little old me, posting on an internet forum would have an affect on the result on Wednesday and next weekend, I wouldn't have posted.

It's okay to show a little faith instead of sitting on the fence and waiting for this week's results, especially when you could say the exact same thing this time next week when we'll be facing yet enough crucial week of games. Stop getting blisters in your arse and come join us from up there :wink:

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
entropy13 said:
And you haven't read the title carefully as well, it's 08/09 Klaus not 09/10 :wink:
Stop salting the wounds! :wink:

el capitan said:
Klaus, if I was superstitious enough to believe that little old me, posting on an internet forum would have an affect on the result on Wednesday and next weekend, I wouldn't have posted.
I was more thinking of how people would ridicule your belief in this team if we'd lose to Villarreal and Chelsea. But as made obvious above I got the whole thread wrong. :)

I agree with you, for what it's worth. I think a lot of people are so caught up in their criticism of the team and all things related to it that they're forgetting to enjoy the things that football is about. I don't think the season will end on wednesday or even on saturday. I'm pretty confident we'll come out of the next week stronger than ever. But if it does end I'd like to think that I've gotten something out of it regardless.

el capitan

No worries. :)

If Arsenal fans come in here next week and ridicule me for my belief in this team if we lose to Villareal and Chelsea, it'll say more about them as fans than it would do about me.

Lancelot

Established Member
The current state of our defence is far too fragile for me to be optimistic about our actual chances of winning something this year, though there are still lots of positives to be taken on board.

Just for the record, it's refreshing to see more optimism around here for a change. :)

Alfonso

Established Member
Being optimistic is too general as peoples emotions will change from a game to game basis. Lets just take it one (or in this case two) games at a time. People keep saying 'next year next year'. But in the next week we can make up for 4 lots of 'next years'. In the next week we can have our next year.

Kain

Established Member
Indeed Alfonso, just need to keep going, one game at a time. Concentrate on what we are doing & what we need to do not the rest of the teams above us.

scytheavatar

Established Member
If you are talking about Chelsea under Scolari, I think we might have a good chance of finishing above them. But under Hiddink they have been playing a lot better, plus the only chance they have of dropping points is againast us and Everton, while we need to go through Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U. So nope, the odds of us getting 3rd is pretty much near zero.

As for the CL I think we have a good chance of getting to the finals, but I will be very surprised if we can win the finals without Arshavin against either Chelsea or Barca; but that will come down to luck.

As for the FA cup who cares about it?

progman07

Established Member
scytheavatar said:
If you are talking about Chelsea under Scolari, I think we might have a good chance of finishing above them. But under Hiddink they have been playing a lot better, plus the only chance they have of dropping points is againast us and Everton, while we need to go through Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U. So nope, the odds of us getting 3rd is pretty much near zero.

As for the CL I think we have a good chance of getting to the finals, but I will be very surprised if we can win the finals without Arshavin against either Chelsea or Barca; but that will come down to luck.

As for the FA cup who cares about it?
I REALLY care about it. We dearly need a trophy, we need to learn how to win, and a cup brings the team and the fans together, the confidence grows, we will have something to show after the season, also you must have forget the joy of cheering for the team after a cup win if you don't want it. Seeing the team celebrate a trophy is the best thing for any fan, even if it is the Carling Cup.

I hope you were ironic.

Top Bottom