• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

08/09 Season Run In - An optimistic approach

el capitan

Yes, the chances are pretty near zero, but as I explained, within the realms of possibility. As for the Champions League, you assume that we won't be able to beat Chelsea or Barcelona in the final without Arshavin and luck, but completely skipped thus assuming that we could beat Porto or Manchester United without luck or Arshavin.

If we make it past the semi's, I think this squad will prove that they merit a place in the final and will have a good shot of winning it as well. As for the FA Cup, I hope that was a joke. It's still a fantastic competition to win, maybe not as prestigious as the Champions League, but still a great trophy to claim.

Biggus

Established Member
progman07 said:
scytheavatar said:
If you are talking about Chelsea under Scolari, I think we might have a good chance of finishing above them. But under Hiddink they have been playing a lot better, plus the only chance they have of dropping points is againast us and Everton, while we need to go through Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U. So nope, the odds of us getting 3rd is pretty much near zero.

As for the CL I think we have a good chance of getting to the finals, but I will be very surprised if we can win the finals without Arshavin against either Chelsea or Barca; but that will come down to luck.

As for the FA cup who cares about it?
I REALLY care about it. We dearly need a trophy, we need to learn how to win, and a cup brings the team and the fans together, the confidence grows, we will have something to show after the season, also you must have forget the joy of cheering for the team after a cup win if you don't want it. Seeing the team celebrate a trophy is the best thing for any fan, even if it is the Carling Cup.

I hope you were ironic.

I can only echo what Prog has said, for those who underestimate the value of a trophy- any trophy to this young side, well they simply don't understand basic human psychology. At the moment we have a team of mouths who talk about this and that but very few of them have actually achieved anything. To win the FA this year we will have to beat Chel$ki and probably ManU this will prove that we did indeed deserve it and are capable of more, the boost to our confidence will be immense.

Back on topic, this season we have been very lucky in the PL as we have only started playing well recently and coupled with Villas fortunate collapse we were let off the hook, Chel$ki will not falter like that.
In the CL we definitely got the rub of the green what with the shootout in Rome, and avoiding Liverpool/Chel$ki/Barcelona & with ManU in trouble it looks like our best chance.

In a final either FA or CL anything can happen.

Meatwad

i wouldn't kick the fa cup trophy out of bed, but i really want that big eared ***** more than any other.

Gunner4life09

I would consider this season a success if we win a trophy, even if it was the arguably less glamorous FA CUP.

Any trophy is welcomed here.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
I would generally be very very optimistic for both tropihes had Gallas and Clichy not get injured.

Now, any trophy will do. I can't imagine what Chelsea and Porto will do to Silvest and Gibbs

TomasCR

Established Member
Nicely written el C (or how exactly should I call you? There is one Captain already...)

In other words, good times ahead, as - We are the Arsenal!

el capitan

Just to get some optimism back after some have gone on the defensive/pessimistic backfoot following last night's brilliant 3-0 win over Villareal.

We're half way through this important week and we've grabbed a solid victory over Villareal, paving the way for a semi-final against United. Only 2 days to go until we face Chelsea in the FA cup, with us flying high and scoring goals galore whilst Chelsea are doing the same but more importantly, conceeding goals galore as well.

Is it just me who thinks we are close to securing a trophy with a team that is about as complete as Holloway Road?

sesquioxide

Meatwad said:
i wouldn't kick the fa cup trophy out of bed, but i really want that big eared ***** more than any other.

I agree as well.

All the agony we suffered over the last years will be instantly washed away. Even the harshest of Eboue, Bendtner and Denilson critics would smile (just a bit, before heading off to the ratings thread to dish out 3's and 4's) at the sight of the 3 holding the trophy up.

progman07

Established Member
el capitan said:
Just to get some optimism back after some have gone on the defensive/pessimistic backfoot following last night's brilliant 3-0 win over Villareal.

We're half way through this important week and we've grabbed a solid victory over Villareal, paving the way for a semi-final against United. Only 2 days to go until we face Chelsea in the FA cup, with us flying high and scoring goals galore whilst Chelsea are doing the same but more importantly, conceeding goals galore as well.

Is it just me who thinks we are close to securing a trophy with a team that is about as complete as Holloway Road?
The way we are doing, yes. It's actually amazing, our season is the total mirror of the last, we are getting our best players back and they are fresh and raring to go. I'm backing the team to win at least the FA Cup. The double would be beyond magical.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I am so desperate to win the Champions League though the Fa Cup sounds like a very nice prize into my ears.

Feanor

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
el capitan said:
What is everyone elses view? Think we can grab a 3rd place spot or win a trophy? Or have I just completely jinxed the entire season?
I'm sharpening my pitchfork and soaking my torches as I type. :wink:

I second that. IF we don't win anything this year, I will hold el capitan personally responsible for it. :bash

:)

Feanor

Established Member
el capitan said:
Reserving a gap year volunteer place in Somalia leaving on the 20th May as we speak...

You can run but you can't hide. I will find you, oh yes I will.... :evil:

el capitan

Shouldn't be hard, I'll be stinking to high heaven with the sun scorching the egg on my face.

Feanor

Established Member
el capitan said:
Shouldn't be hard, I'll be stinking to high heaven with the sun scorching the egg on my face.

I hope you really don't. I don't care how much people bicker on this site, I think we would all be immensely relieved if we win something this year. Here is to you not ending up with egg on your face. :bounce

TomasCR

Established Member
el capitan said:

I love the way you´re thinking.

Look, I was trying to make a similar thread, but it didn´t seem to do well.

We´re in a situation, where anything can happen and when we can somehow gain the luck we have been missing a good while now back, we can slowly but surely start thinking of winning a trophy. I don´t think I´m getting ahead of myself here, I just think that´s exactly how things stand at the moment.

If this we all have been dreaming about will happen, it will be one of the biggest achievements the club has ever had and we´re, believe it or not, not that far from that! (No mention about looking forward to seeing Quincy eating his hat now, but I think I´ll wait yet. I´ll always remember. :) )

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
el capitan said:
Reserving a gap year volunteer place in Somalia leaving on the 20th May as we speak...
Nah, we'll send you to Van Diemen's Land instead. A very special part of a very special country. :wink:

It's not like we're all not thinking and dreaming of the possible success that potentially awaits us should things turn out for the best anyway!

Biggus

Established Member
TomasCR said:
We´re in a situation, where anything can happen and when we can somehow gain the luck we have been missing a good while now back, we can slowly but surely start thinking of winning a trophy. I don´t think I´m getting ahead of myself here, I just think that´s exactly how things stand at the moment.

If this we all have been dreaming about will happen, it will be one of the biggest achievements the club has ever had and we´re, believe it or not, not that far from that! (No mention about looking forward to seeing Quincy eating his hat now, but I think I´ll wait yet. I´ll always remember. :) )

You mean the luck that deserted us last year Tomas? This year in refereeing decisions and especially in the CL where we've almost been as jammy as Liverpool, we've had lots of luck- not that I'm complaining mind you- we deserve it.
Quincy should have said he'll eat his underpants, they make some nice edible ones nowadays- err so I'm told.

TomasCR

Established Member
Yeah, that´s exactly the luck I was talking about. Where have we been lucky in the CL? If you mean the penalties, fair enough, but still - that´s not what I call being lucky. We´ve ouplayed every team we´ve played against in the the CL so far and United seem to be the next one to wipe the floor with, cannot wait!

Latest posts

Top Bottom